What's your current geocaching project?

Just wondering what everyone is working on? I imagine with challenges being reinstated there are quite a few people working towards putting together a new challenge and hopefully we've also got many here working on other exciting things as well. Could be placing a cache, a cool puzzle or multi, or even just personal geocaching goals. So, whatcha got going?

(I'll post my current project later in the thread to avoid it seeming like it's about my specific thing.)

Just wondering what everyone is working on? I imagine with challenges being reinstated there are quite a few people working towards putting together a new challenge and hopefully we've also got many here working on other exciting things as well. Could be placing a cache, a cool puzzle or multi, or even just personal geocaching goals. So, whatcha got going?

(I'll post my current project later in the thread to avoid it seeming like it's about my specific thing.)

Two things, basically. One is filling in the blank squares on my Date Found grid. The other is placing some new caches, including some new puzzles. Also I hope/plan to get some new counties and some new Jasmer squares. OK so I guess that's four things. Besides just enjoying getting out and caching!

I've built a gadget cache that's basically a birdhouse with a false bottom involving the cacher to activate an electric stick that's mounted internally. Cacher will need to look through a mounted door peephole to see the electric light stick and figure out a way to activate it without touching it. When activated it gives off 3 different colored lights which will correspond to a code for the three digit combo lock on the false bottom which holds the cache. It's not an original idea from me. But it will be the only one of its kind in my neck of the woods. I've got the cache finished but finding an appropriate place for it is a bigger problem that building it.

I'm working on a series of five letterboxes themed around the animated series RWBY. They will be inspired by the seasons, which is an integral part of the show.

Spring will be a puzzlebox in a library (painted with flowers)

Summer will be a cache that one must dredge up from the bottom of a lake.

Fall will be approximately 30' up a tree.

And winter will be a fake book in a library.

The final of sorts will be a large ammo box about 20' up a tree. Suspended by a cable and hooked with a carabiner, so it can be taken down from the tree easily.

My projects: Pennsylvania All County Challenge. I have found caches in 34 of 67 counties. Trying to get eight more this weekend. Not sure that will work out though. If I got for a particular one in Lebanon County, I can finish the "Find caches by CO's whose caching handles start with 0 through 9 and A through Z" Challenge. Also, near Erie is the oldest cache in Penna, which I need for the Jasmer Challenge. Not sure I'll finish any of these challenges, but those are my projects. Also hope to finish the Maine County Challenge this year.

We are planning a road trip out into the country in July, 4 days on the road just me and my son - hoping to grab 4 old virtuals amongst others. Also tomorrow we are doing our 500th cache, we've planned this for a while, its a cool drive along a pretty rough trail, then a 6km (4 mile) return hike along a ridge and up a bluff, to find a cache in a cave. Pretty excited..... Of course after 2 months of barely a drop of rain, it has been wet this week, and forecast for some more tomorrow.... Short of a cyclone, we are going!

I found a really neat park--cool features and great history--but no one seems to know who manages or even owns the land. The DNR says it's owned by the local college, while the local college says that they donated it to the state. It's 60 flat acres of prairie with a 40'tall sandstone formation at one end, and was a tourist attraction/landmark/picnic location as far back as the 1880s. Great spot for a cache if I can find someone to ask permission! It doesn't even have parking or signs right now and hardly anyone knows about it, so my current project is getting a cache out there.

I was also working really hard to put an Earthcache out, but so far none of the neat geologic features around here are very accessible to the public.

I have a couple of (older) challenge caches that I'm slowly working on, though I recently completed one I'd been working on for a couple of years.

Should be able to add 3 more countries and 3 more German states this fall during a trip. Just small, local goals otherwise...a couple cache placements I have in mind and a couple others that I started a bit over a year ago before an injury sidelined me from the kind of extended hiking required for them.

So mine is a 5 part multi, all being 5gal bucket size caches. Each stage will have a relatively simple photography related puzzle to calculate the coordinates to the next location. Final stage will have custom artwork for the FTF. Should be fun.

untitled001_2.jpg

I have all the parts at this point, just waiting to confirm that all the locations are good and won't 'oversaturate' the area. Then placing and listing.

So mine is a 5 part multi, all being 5gal bucket size caches.
Good luck getting people to complete all 5 parts. My experience is that non-final containers often acquire "replacement" logs, and then later seekers see the log and assume they're done. (I've become a fan of non-container objects for intermediate stages for that reason.)
Good luck getting people to complete all 5 parts. My experience is that non-final containers often acquire "replacement" logs, and then later seekers see the log and assume they're done. (I've become a fan of non-container objects for intermediate stages for that reason.)

If they don't, they don't. I figure it'll be out in the boonies enough that few will go for it at all, and those that do probably like this kind of cache enough to go for them all. We'll see.

I found a really neat park--cool features and great history--but no one seems to know who manages or even owns the land. The DNR says it's owned by the local college, while the local college says that they donated it to the state. It's 60 flat acres of prairie with a 40'tall sandstone formation at one end, and was a tourist attraction/landmark/picnic location as far back as the 1880s. Great spot for a cache if I can find someone to ask permission! It doesn't even have parking or signs right now and hardly anyone knows about it, so my current project is getting a cache out there.

I was also working really hard to put an Earthcache out, but so far none of the neat geologic features around here are very accessible to the public.

Ask your county assessor's office. They should be able to tell you who owns the land.

Working on grids, best I can -- date found, date hidden, Fizzy, Jasmer, etc. -- I have a business trip planned to Atlanta and Savannah in August, so should be able to grab the oldest caches in Georgia and South Carolina on that trip, too. Even though I live in California, I've actually managed to nick off the oldest caches in Illinois and Massachusetts, so am going to start working on those more deliberately, too.

When I reread this, the "Good luck..." part seemed like it might have come across as snarky. FWIW, I didn't mean it that way. I do hope people can experience your cache the way you intended, without being short-circuited by someone else's "replacement" log.

If they don't, they don't. I figure it'll be out in the boonies enough that few will go for it at all, and those that do probably like this kind of cache enough to go for them all. We'll see.

You have enough room in the caches to place prominent notices in the intermediate stages that they haven't found the cache yet and should ignore any logs that may have been placed in the bucket. Good luck with the project, it looks like it will be a fun multi!

You have enough room in the caches to place prominent notices in the intermediate stages that they haven't found the cache yet and should ignore any logs that may have been placed in the bucket. Good luck with the project, it looks like it will be a fun multi!

That's the plan. I'm actually going to put a notebook in each that says 'THIS IS NOT THE LOGBOOK!' and instead tell them to draw a picture or write a haiku or something. Like I said before, we'll see how it goes!

As for being snarky Nira, I did read it that way initially but gave you the benefit of the doubt. It is the internet, after all.

Currently working on trying to close out caches on my wish list in the El Paso area before I move. But I will soon start working on finishing the Virginia county and independent city challenges, since w're moving back to Virginia. (I'd go for the Delorme as well, but I already finished it the last time we lived there.)

My project is to to reach 1000 Virtuals and 1000 earthcaches. Neither are likely to happen this year, but it's always nice when travel plans can take me closer to the goal. It's a race against time with Virtuals so I am not sure if I will make it. In the meantime, I have a "to do" list that includes several kayak caches, letter box hybrids, and wherigos.

My project is to to reach 1000 Virtuals and 1000 earthcaches. Neither are likely to happen this year, but it's always nice when travel plans can take me closer to the goal. It's a race against time with Virtuals so I am not sure if I will make it. In the meantime, I have a "to do" list that includes several kayak caches, letter box hybrids, and wherigos.

And I am struggling to get to 50 virtuals. Hopefully very soon - I just need 2 more.

You might want to check your county website to see if they have the Plat information online. I know mine does, you can click on any bit of land in the county and it will pull up the records, or the county tax collector / assessor.

I'm working on

1) Finishing 366 (138 Days now).

2) Getting out a few caches. I have a puzzle ready now I just need to find a location, think I have one. And I've got plans for a hanging cache that also needs a location.

3) Finishing the South Florida Counties Challenge (Only 8 left).

You might want to check your county website to see if they have the Plat information online. I know mine does, you can click on any bit of land in the county and it will pull up the records, or the county tax collector / assessor.

I made the mistake (kidding) of figuring out who was in charge of our region's DNR Nature Preserves and asking for a person to contact. He was very helpful but went the extra step of talking with the state headquarters. They say no caches on nature preserves because it will draw too much foot traffic. I guess they really don't want people out there, which is a shame. Ah, well--on to the next thing, I guess!

I made the mistake (kidding) of figuring out who was in charge of our region's DNR Nature Preserves and asking for a person to contact. He was very helpful but went the extra step of talking with the state headquarters. They say no caches on nature preserves because it will draw too much foot traffic. I guess they really don't want people out there, which is a shame. Ah, well--on to the next thing, I guess!

We're not allowed to hide physical caches in nature preserves here in Indiana, but ECs are fine, assuming you get permission from the landowner, create an EC that isn't similar to any nearby ones, and is not off the existing trails. I would assume a Wherigo that walks you through would be fine, as long as the final was outside the grounds.

And I am struggling to get to 50 virtuals. Hopefully very soon - I just need 2 more.

Got my 2 virtuals last night, now off to sign the challenge.

Gee.... a pocket query shows I have 17 virtuals within 500 miles of my home..... I think for me to get anywhere near 1000 I'd actually have to visit the US!

So mine is a 5 part multi, all being 5gal bucket size caches. Each stage will have a relatively simple photography related puzzle to calculate the coordinates to the next location. Final stage will have custom artwork for the FTF. Should be fun.

untitled001_2.jpg

I have all the parts at this point, just waiting to confirm that all the locations are good and won't 'oversaturate' the area. Then placing and listing.

The containers look great - always good to see some effort and care go into making a cache..... biggrin.gif

One project coming together..... no 5 gal containers.... but no micros! :)

Unless those PET preforms have a lot of room inside, I'd still consider them a micro. A "small" cache can contain a trackable, and I doubt that you'd get a travel bug dog tag in there.

But then size, like difficulty and terrain, seems to differ by region. I've seen PET preforms, pill bottles, and magnetic key hides listed as small caches in one area, as micros in another, and mixed in others. Such is life.

Anyway -- good luck with the project!

Planning for two major trips by the end of the year. 6 weeks in Europe, when I hope to get 13 new countries and 7 weeks round the world to add a further 4 countries and, possibly, 9 US states.

I currently have 50 GSAK databases dedicated to various parts of the trips - one for each city and one for each journey between cities. I'm busy culling caches so I have a reasonable number of target caches in each database.

The first trip will help me complete a few challenges, since I hope to find several of the Challenge trail caches in Florida during the second trip. I'm also planning on 5 countries in a day when driving from Amsterdam (Netherlands) through Belgium, France and Germany to Luxembourg and 4 US States in a day when driving from Pensacola to New Orleans.

We're working on the awesome Mt Rainier geotour in celebration if the Natl Park Centennial. We just finished the WA state parks centennial geotour at the end of April, and loved that one, but it took us 3 years I think before we got 50 of the state parks. Rainier is going faster for sure, al though there are still 50 more caches that are coming online yet in July and October, so we'll be at this one for awhile as well.

I'm building an arduino-powered gadget cache called "Timing is Everything." The premise behind it is that the container (plastic ammo can) will automatically unlock at the top of each hour, for one minute. This allows the cacher to open the container, sign the log and exchange goodies. At all other times it will be locked and the cacher will be unable to open it. It will also display the current time on a seven segment display to let them know how much time they have to wait. Power won't be a problem, since it only comes to life when the "outer door" of the container is opened. Otherwise, a low power real time clock (RTC) is keeping the time with a button battery. It will be hidden in the desert so that it won't be confused with something explosive. I've built several other caches with similar components Gadget Cache. I'm just waiting for the RTC module to be delivered.

I'm building an arduino-powered gadget cache called "Timing is Everything." The premise behind it is that the container (plastic ammo can) will automatically unlock at the top of each hour, for one minute. This allows the cacher to open the container, sign the log and exchange goodies. At all other times it will be locked and the cacher will be unable to open it. It will also display the current time on a seven segment display to let them know how much time they have to wait. Power won't be a problem, since it only comes to life when the "outer door" of the container is opened. Otherwise, a low power real time clock (RTC) is keeping the time with a button battery. It will be hidden in the desert so that it won't be confused with something explosive. I've built several other caches with similar components Gadget Cache. I'm just waiting for the RTC module to be delivered.

Sounds great - I'd be concerned of some idiot forcing it though.....

Also - as a finder I'd appreciate a clear definition of when it will be unlocked in the description, and the RTC to be accurate enough so you could plan your arrival at GZ..... :)

Also - as a finder I'd appreciate a clear definition of when it will be unlocked in the description, and the RTC to be accurate enough so you could plan your arrival at GZ..... :)

Great advice, and I'll absolutely apply it to the description.

Finished my "Timing is Everything" cache, GC6KHV3. It should be published soon.

Timing is Everything

Finished my "Timing is Everything" cache, GC6KHV3. It should be published soon.

Timing is Everything

Looks great! I'd wait around for that since the wait is now only 15 minutes. If this was in the desert and you missed your window there would be no sticking around for an hour in the summer.

My brother and I do alot of caching together. Our two main projects are finish doing the home work and getting out to find all of the Michigan Geo-Art series, and they're opening up a new recreational area north of a nearby town, so we're building 9 gadgets cahe to place out there. Oh, and of course, we working ob our Michigan Counties challenge (62 out of 83)