cacher posted the private log code.

TheAuthorityFigures

The latest finder of one of our TB's posted the private code in his found log. I messaged the finder and ask him to kindly edit his log so I don't have to deal with fake discovery logs in the future. He said he would, but that was days ago and the log remains unedited for all to see the private code. Can an admin edit it or does it have to be the person who created the log?

The latest finder of one of our TB's posted the private code in his found log. I messaged the finder and ask him to kindly edit his log so I don't have to deal with fake discovery logs in the future. He said he would, but that was days ago and the log remains unedited for all to see the private code. Can an admin edit it or does it have to be the person who created the log?

You (the owner) can delete the log. The location will not be deleted (in this case it's in the hands of the finder if logged properly), only the log's text will be gone. So you could copy the text first, and paste it into a Note log. Edit out the tracking number. "Repost due to secret Tracking Number in view..." (text of the log, name of cacher who retrieved it).

Another option is to email Geocaching.com. But the above plan may be faster, and suitable anytime (Company persons don't need to be available).

Edited by kunarion

You (the owner) can delete the log. The location will not be deleted (in this case it's in the hands of the finder if logged properly), only the log's text will be gone. So you could copy the text first, and paste it into a Note log. Edit out the tracking number. "Repost due to secret Tracking Number in view..." (text of the log, name of cacher who retrieved it).

Another option is to email Geocaching.com. But the above plan may be faster, and suitable anytime (Company persons don't need to be available).

I guess I should clarify. It's posted on the cache log(im not the cache owner), not the tb log.

Contact the cache owner if the cacher is unable or unwilling to change the log. Maybe contact the cacher again. Explain the importance of keeping that number confidential, and thank them for moving your trackable.

When contacting a newbie (presumably) be sure to be polite. Once I made a mistake and got several rather hateful "you're a dumba**" kind of emails. It sort of turned me off for a while. Eventually I realized I still liked the game and corrected my mistake. A simple, kind message that also educates can go a long way. Nobody wants to feel stupid.

Good luck!

Contact the cache owner if the cacher is unable or unwilling to change the log. Maybe contact the cacher again. Explain the importance of keeping that number confidential, and thank them for moving your trackable.

When contacting a newbie (presumably) be sure to be polite. Once I made a mistake and got several rather hateful "you're a dumba**" kind of emails. It sort of turned me off for a while. Eventually I realized I still liked the game and corrected my mistake. A simple, kind message that also educates can go a long way. Nobody wants to feel stupid.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advise, and not to worry, I would never send an email like that, it's not my style. I had a mother that taught me manners. ;)

I guess I should clarify. It's posted on the cache log(im not the cache owner), not the tb log.

You would have to either contact a Reviewer or Groundspeak to edit/delete the log that appears to violate the TOU.

I was not successful digging up an official statement forbidding or at least discouraging such behavior.

I'm looking for a pointer to forward it to an event owner who is blatantly posting all tracking codes of all trackables present at the event as a note on his event listings.

You would have to either contact a Reviewer or Groundspeak to edit/delete the log that appears to violate the TOU.

I was not successful digging up an official statement forbidding or at least discouraging such behavior.

I'm looking for a pointer to forward it to an event owner who is blatantly posting all tracking codes of all trackables present at the event as a note on his event listings.

It shouldn't take a lot of common sense for someone to know that they shouldn't do that.

I would contact Groundspeak and let them deal with that event owner. (It seems to me that "something" a bit stronger than deleting codes should be done.)

The sticky at the top of this forum:

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

Help Center → Trackables → Owning Trackables

4.5. Dealing with Bogus Trackable Logs

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=708

B.

It shouldn't take a lot of common sense for someone to know that they shouldn't do that.

I would contact Groundspeak and let them deal with that event owner. (It seems to me that "something" a bit stronger than deleting codes should be done.)

I guess GS would probably delete the notes but not more. I once confronted GS with a member who was logging >1000 TBs which codes he randomly entered to fulfill a challenge. All "penalty" towards this member was that I got the permission to delete the one single log on my TB. There was not even a friendly reminder from GS for this individual.

The sticky at the top of this forum:

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

Help Center → Trackables → Owning Trackables

4.5. Dealing with Bogus Trackable Logs

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=708

Not really clear-cut but thanks.

It has become common practice in my country and is done at many events and by many event owners. A while ago I contacted four different event owners and explained to them why so public

lists on events logs are causing problems and asked them to reconsider their approach. One replied and did not change his behaviour - the others did not even react.

It seems like wasted energy to me and what hynz reported confirms my belief. It appears that Groundspeak does not want to interfere. They could however at least include a sentence in the event guidelines.

I find it surprising that it is a larger issue for some people at Groundspeak when someone names the inn in which an event takes place than if tons of trackable codes are shared openly on event logs.

I don't like being handed a list. "Go ahead and leave everything in the bag. Here's the list." Really, I don't mind the extra work of documenting the actual items.

It's bad enough that it's a bagful of hostages. :ph34r: