Add "Needs maintenance/Needs archived" to Profile page

Claystalker

Something I would like to see added to the Profile page is just above "Recently viewed caches", add "Needs maintenance/Needs archived". That way when you log onto your account and open your profile page any of your owned caches that have been marked as needing maintenance or needing archived will be there in your view until you take care of them. This might get some people off their butts and take care of their hides. Right now the only way to see a list of them is to go into the process of hiding a new cache and you get the list asking if you want to take care of these first, or go through you caches one by one to see where the problems are.

This idea has been suggested a few times before, and I think it's a good idea. That being said, I'd actually make it even more visible if I had my way. I'd have a red message be displayed across the top of the page (EVERY page) alerting the cacher that they have NM caches.

As for Needs Archive, that isn't the same. While Needs Maintenance logs add the "Needs Maintenance" attribute to the cache, NA doesn't. When someone submits an NA log, the reviewers are notified in the background, but there's no visible change to the cache listing (other than the log showing up). "Needs Archive" isn't a status, it's more of a one-time action, so it couldn't be included (nor would it need to).

If they don't read the emails associated with their caches, why are they going to pay attention to something on their profile page?

Some people intentionally set up their email such that they don't get the owner emails. I don't understand why, but it does happen.

Some people have issues with their email getting caught in spam filters, so they don't even realize they were sent an email.

Some people simply forget, so a prod to refresh their memory can't hurt.

If they don't read the emails associated with their caches, why are they going to pay attention to something on their profile page?

Recently I notified a fellow geocacher about his cache in NM state and he replied: "Thank you, I remember I got the NM e-mail. But then I had too much work, received many new e-mails and completely forgot about it. And nothing alerts me when I sign in to the website."

For some time I was against this idea, thinking that maintenance should be done asap from when the CO gets a notice.

Common sense...

- And I still don't think for one moment that some simply, "forgot about them".

But when I'm hitting caches and almost half need maintenance of some kind, maybe it's worth a try.

- And I only rarely hit the low D/T ones (which I understand is worse).

I think a bigger issue right now is figuring a way to get the multitude of folks who don't want to place that NM ("I don't wanna get involved...") to start doing so, to begin the process of getting some of these pieces of carp cleaned up.

For "forgetful" COs, I now think some sorta nag screen should come up when/wherever the person who has maintenance issues accesses the site (even with a phone).

Looking to find? Nag.

Looking to place another? Uh uh, after you do Owner Maintenance on your last twenty first.

Look at pics, stats, whatever... nag nag nag nag nag.

Rather than edit...

If a CO is bombarded with messages/nags on cache maintenance, yet still doesn't attempt to do something about it, it makes it a lot easier on folks like me who will place NMs, or NAs.

- It also might wake up the ones who don't, maybe reducing the negativity they feel associated with this (proper) action...