How do I download gpx files from

Mmmmmm ... Problem here will be that the iPad's concept is not that of a full computer but more on the 'consuming' side.

The normal workaround for the Communicator plugin is to store files via web browser locally and transfer them to the Garmin by USB or SD card.

And here the problem rises - the iPad has no 'local disk' concept, only certain apps simulate it by giving access to other apps. And ... afaik there is no USB plug to the iPad (only from ..)

Maybe one of the iPad gurus has some different idea, personally I would assume there's no way to use the iPad for that file transfer without using a 'normal' laptop or desktop computer.

My ipad to my garmin 550t? Is there a work around to the Garmin plug in that's not compatible with the OS?

IOS is very restrictive about that. But look for portable wifi routers with built-in hard drives or memory card readers, which also have USB ports. They come with a terrible file utility download. But it could work.

My ipad to my garmin 550t? Is there a work around to the Garmin plug in that's not compatible with the OS?

last post in this thread

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287998

will that work for you?

The method described in the link will work, but there are other options that I think work better than Airstash. In fact, I gave away my Airstash some time ago because I wanted to transfer gpx files from my iphone/ipad to the gpsr without having to take out the sd card.

I use a wifi router - the Kingston Mobile Lite -- but there are several other devices that do similar things. I plug my gpsr into the Mobile Lite with a usb cord. The ipad/iphone recognizes the Mobile Lite as a wifi device. The gpsr is identified as a connected device. From there, it is simply a matter of copying the file and moving it to the appropriate directory on the gpsr. The router is about the size of my iphone, so its very mobile, quick, and easy. I cannot recall the last time I used a computer to transfer files to the gpsr.

A few things:

1. I use a caching app (geosphere) that allows me to export gpx files. There are other apps that do this as well -- cachly and looking4cache come to mind. The gpx (or loc) button on the web site can also be used or you could use an app that will download and unzip a pocket query and transfer the resuls from there. But geosphere allows me to do an online search; to import a pocket query; to filter and merge the results; and to export a group of caches as a gpx file to the gpsr.

2. Devices like Mobilelite have their own file manager that supports gpx files. You can use the iOS "open in" function to transfer the files you want to move. This is not dependent on the branded app. I have also used other file manager apps to do this as well.

3. If you prefer using sd cards, Mobile Lite and other routers support them as well - but my goal was to avoid having to take out the sd card from the gpsr. When hooked to a usb cord, the devices allow you to access either the internal memory or the sd card but not both at the same time. Unplugging the gpsr and then plugging it back in will usually rotate through the options. I don't know why, but it works for me.

4. You can also make the process work in reverse to retrieve filed notes from the gpsr and upload them to geocaching.com, It involves slightly different steps -- rather than explain it here, it might be easier to email me if you have any questions about how to do this.

Edited by geodarts

last post in this thread

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287998

will that work for you?

The method described in the link will work, but there are other options that I think work better than Airstash. In fact, I gave away my Airstash some time ago because I wanted to transfer gpx files from my iphone/ipad to the gpsr without having to take out the sd card.

I use a wifi router - the Kingston Mobile Lite -- but there are several other devices that do similar things. I plug my gpsr into the Mobile Lite with a usb cord. The ipad/iphone recognizes the Mobile Lite as a wifi device. The gpsr is identified as a connected device. From there, it is simply a matter of copying the file and moving it to the appropriate directory on the gpsr. The router is about the size of my iphone, so its very mobile, quick, and easy. I cannot recall the last time I used a computer to transfer files to the gpsr.

A few things:

1. I use a caching app (geosphere) that allows me to export gpx files. There are other apps that do this as well -- cachly and looking4cache come to mind. The gpx (or loc) button on the web site can also be used or you could use an app that will download and unzip a pocket query and transfer the resuls from there. But geosphere allows me to do an online search; to import a pocket query; to filter and merge the results; and to export a group of caches as a gpx file to the gpsr.

2. Devices like Mobilelite have their own file manager that supports gpx files. You can use the iOS "open in" function to transfer the files you want to move. This is not dependent on the branded app. I have also used other file manager apps to do this as well.

3. If you prefer using sd cards, Mobile Lite and other routers support them as well - but my goal was to avoid having to take out the sd card from the gpsr. When hooked to a usb cord, the devices allow you to access either the internal memory or the sd card but not both at the same time. Unplugging the gpsr and then plugging it back in will usually rotate through the options. I don't know why, but it works for me.

4. You can also make the process work in reverse to retrieve filed notes from the gpsr and upload them to geocaching.com, It involves slightly different steps -- rather than explain it here, it might be easier to email me if you have any questions about how to do this.

man that's good info!