Geocaching by Bicycle

MartyBarfast, I believe helmets are not required for biking in London. Is that correct? I wonder if not requiring helmets helps keep the program successful in your area of the world.

You're right, helmets are not compulsory over here and in London at least almost everyone riding their own bike will wear a helmet, but almost no-one on a Boris Bike wears one and if they were compulsory then I suspect it would have a big impact on the use of the hire bikes.

One draw back to geocaching by bicycle is when your bike breaks down in some way. I was out geocaching on my bike today and when I parked it to search for a cache I noticed a rattle coming from my front wheel. After a closer look I saw a broken spoke that broke at the nipple.

I decided to search for the cache anyway, did not find it and as this was my second attempt I am going to file an NM because I now think it is missing.

I was literally two blocks my local bike shop so I walked the bike over. My wife's office is 3 blocks from the bike shop so I walked to her to get our car, we only have and have only ever needed one motor vehicle, even though between the two of us we own a total of 6 bikes.

On the way home I stopped to search for and found another cache, logged it and drove home to freshen up, let the dog out, and post here. Now I am going to go back out to search for other cache's I had planned on doing via my bike before I pick my wife up from work tonight. After dinner we are going to geocaching if it does not rain. If it is not too humid we are going to take our German Shepherd with us.

If I don't get the bike tonight I will pick it up tomorrow. Luckily I was just blocks away from my bike shop and where my car was. Even if I were not I would have slowly and carefully ridden, this is OK even with a broken spoke if I wrap it around a neighboring spoke and the wheel is not too far out of true. My wheels are 36 count spokes and the front wheel is a 20" diameter so it takes a lot more for it to go out of true compared the larger 26" diameter rear wheel. If would not have been able to ride or walk the short distance I would have called my wife to come get me.

One draw back to geocaching by bicycle is when your bike breaks down in some way. I was out geocaching on my bike today and when I parked it to search for a cache I noticed a rattle coming from my front wheel. After a closer look I saw a broken spoke that broke at the nipple.

I decided to search for the cache anyway, did not find it and as this was my second attempt I am going to file an NM because I now think it is missing.

I was literally two blocks my local bike shop so I walked the bike over. My wife's office is 3 blocks from the bike shop so I walked to her to get our car, we only have and have only ever needed one motor vehicle, even though between the two of us we own a total of 6 bikes.

On the way home I stopped to search for and found another cache, logged it and drove home to freshen up, let the dog out, and post here. Now I am going to go back out to search for other cache's I had planned on doing via my bike before I pick my wife up from work tonight. After dinner we are going to geocaching if it does not rain. If it is not too humid we are going to take our German Shepherd with us.

If I don't get the bike tonight I will pick it up tomorrow. Luckily I was just blocks away from my bike shop and where my car was. Even if I were not I would have slowly and carefully ridden, this is OK even with a broken spoke if I wrap it around a neighboring spoke and the wheel is not too far out of true. My wheels are 36 count spokes and the front wheel is a 20" diameter so it takes a lot more for it to go out of true compared the larger 26" diameter rear wheel. If would not have been able to ride or walk the short distance I would have called my wife to come get me.

Only two attempts and you log a NM? Really? Maybe an email to the CO, explaining where/how you searched would be more useful. They may be able to confirm it is missing, or they may tell you to search in a certain location you hadn't considered.

As a cache owner, I would be very unlikely to bother checking on a cache that was marked NM by someone who only searched twice....unless there were other DNF logs from more experienced cachers.

This seems more than a little arrogant to me, how can you be so sure? I recommend to just watch and see the next few logs.

And just how is this relevant on a caching forum?

Based on DNFs alone, I wouldn't post a NM unless there has been several DNFs by different cachers, especially ones with several hundred finds. After 2 DNFs, a better approach might be to message the CO and ask for a hint.....

Based on DNFs alone, I wouldn't post a NM unless there has been several DNFs by different cachers, especially ones with several hundred finds. After 2 DNFs, a better approach might be to message the CO and ask for a hint.....

I would put it on my watch list to see if subsequent searchers find it.

When I checked this time I searched in a 150 foot diameter. I even searched under a bridge even though it is over a hundred feet from the posted coordinates. If it is a ground cache that is not under any of the trees it has been destroyed by a lawn mower as the city does maintain this area.I checked the trees as best I could as the ever green trees have big thistles growing under them and one has a bird nest with eggs in is on the lower branches. It is possible if the cache is still there and is in or under the evergreen trees it is not accessible because of the thistles and the bird nest. I also checked all possible metal objects even though they too are up to over a hundred feet from the posted coordinates.

It is for these reasons I am filing a NM report.

Edited by SUX_VR_40_Rider