Seasonal Cache

Hi I was wondering if a seasonal geocache is allowed by the rules. I live in a temperate climate and I wanted to make a cache that is partially submerged by water. Since the water will freeze in the winter, I would to like to remove it until the weather warms back up. I am wondering how I can deactivate the cache but it keep it active until the following spring. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi I was wondering if a seasonal geocache is allowed by the rules. I live in a temperate climate and I wanted to make a cache that is partially submerged by water. Since the water will freeze in the winter, I would to like to remove it until the weather warms back up. I am wondering how I can deactivate the cache but it keep it active until the following spring. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It may be possible, check/confirm with your Reviewer.

It should be "Temporary Disabled" with an explanation.

(Not Archived, you can't re-enable the cache when the weather is better)

There are caches out there, but 'Precedent' doesn't mean your cache will pass!

Thanks!

You would "temporarily disable" the cache during freeze-up.

Before re-enabling it after the thaw, you would need to run out there and check on its condition, and do any maintenance required.

You would not "archive" it...that's permanent.

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

4.16. Temporarily Disable and Enable

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=235

Geocache owners can temporarily disable a listing, which will take a geocache page offline. Do this if the geocache needs repairs, or if the area is closed for a period of time (construction, hunting, winter closures, etc.) This is meant to be temporary, which means a few weeks or perhaps a couple of months.

B.

I have caches on a tree farm and the land owner frequently closes the trails during the dry summer months. I temporary disable the caches during the trail closure and then re-enable them once the trails open. Put a seasonable access attribute on the cache and you should be fine.

Thanks!

You could always just let cacher's try and break through the ice to get to the cache. Unless you think this would be too evil.