event guidelines - please provide explanation

Hello,

at local geocaching forum we had long discussion about guidelines for event cache type. There is unclear sentence, "An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search."

Anyone from Groundspeak HQ could please provide us the statement about the above to make things clear ? How shall we understand the 'should not' ? Does it mean it is inadvisable but allowed to organize such event ? Or shall we understand this that it is not allowed ?

Thanks !

Edited by JaSaHram

Seems simple. You should not do it. If you do something you shouldn't there's consequences. In this case it may be that the event isn't published.

You are allowed to get a group together to find caches, ad that may take place before or after the event. And doesn't it say "for the sole purpose"

Hello,

at local geocaching forum we had long discussion about guidelines for event cache type. There is unclear sentence, "An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search."

Anyone from Groundspeak HQ could please provide us the statement about the above to make things clear ? How shall we understand the 'should not' ? Does it mean it is inadvisable but allowed to organize such event ? Or shall we understand this that it is not allowed ?

Thanks !

It means that an event can't be organized just to get a group of people together to search for caches. (There was a pilot project to allow this type of event. It went over well. The Guideline did not change. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284410)

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Event Caches

An event is a gathering of geocachers, facilitating the social aspect of geocaching. It is organized by geocachers and is open to other geocachers and those interested in learning about the game. It takes place at the posted coordinates, includes start and end times, and lasts at least 30 minutes. Events with several elements, a sequence of events, or events that are near the same time or location and intended for the same audience should be submitted as a single event. Additional waypoints may be added to the event listing for the locations of event activities.

Events must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event date. Events are usually published no more than three months prior to the event date. Events may be published up to six months prior if an overnight stay is expected by attendees or if the event is designed to attract geocachers from beyond the local area. After an event has occurred, the listing is to be archived by the geocache owner.

An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search.

If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community or it will happen without a Geocaching.com listing, it is likely not an Event Cache. Examples include concerts, fairs, sporting and scouting events.

Event Caches, like other geocaches, will only be published if they meet the commercial cache guideline. Geocache owners can include basic information about the location on the geocache page, even if it is a commercial location. Event listings may request donations or charge a fee to cover legitimate costs of the event. A list of sponsors, without logos or URLs, may be on an event listing. Event listings may only mention sales of event-related Geocaching.com trackables. Listings may include a link to a non-commercial event landing page. Attendees may be required to register at a separate registration page.

B.

[...]

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Event Caches

[...]

An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search.

[...]

In accordance with the above, I propose to add this to the official guidelines:

"An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering trackables to discover"

That trackables are exchanged at events is legitimate, but that TBs are 'dropped' into events and subsequently are 'discovered' hundreds of times is beyond any reasonable meaning. This only clutters the TB owner's log.

"An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering trackables to discover"

That trackables are exchanged at events is legitimate, but that TBs are 'dropped' into events and subsequently are 'discovered' hundreds of times is beyond any reasonable meaning. This only clutters the TB owner's log.

I don't agree. I collect geocoins, and I enjoy sharing a few of them at events. It's the only way they don't get stolen.

Droping off TB's that I have in my inventory is another fun part of events. I've never been to any event that had hundreds of people in attendance except Mega events.

I don't agree. I collect geocoins, and I enjoy sharing a few of them at events. It's the only way they don't get stolen.

Droping off TB's that I have in my inventory is another fun part of events. I've never been to any event that had hundreds of people in attendance except Mega events.

It doesn't prevent sharing trackables or coins when you just show them to other people who discover them in your hands. It prevents creating lists of trackable codes, which are subsequently distributed.

It doesn't prevent sharing trackables or coins when you just show them to other people who discover them in your hands. It prevents creating lists of trackable codes, which are subsequently distributed.

Unfortunately, I don't think any changes to any guidelines will help with the problem of code lists being distributed. :sad:

Assume that someone submits an event cache with the stated purpose of discovering as many trackables as possible, and the event page says "bring your lists of trackable codes to share!"

Assume that the listing guidelines are updated to prohibit events that are organized for the purpose of discovering trackables. Following that, the reviewer asks the event organizer to remove all the language on that subject.

The new event cache description says "We will get together at XYZ Restaurant from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. so that geocachers can eat and socialize." I think the reviewer is then obligated to publish the listing, since it now complies with all the guidelines.

What do you think will happen at that event?