How to Run Pocket Query

jakiesfolks

I've never had success running pocket queries. I go through and make the selections and run it but always get a big zero results. Is there somewhere on the site to find definitive instructions on how to run one so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Here are decent steps, don't skip any until you get familiar with it:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

And go easy on the selections. Pick a location, radius, number of caches. Preview that. Then add a filter or two. Be careful, some are mutually exclusive.

I've never had success running pocket queries. I go through and make the selections and run it but always get a big zero results. Is there somewhere on the site to find definitive instructions on how to run one so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Getting zero results is usually caused by setting conditions like "I have found" and "I haven't found". No cache can be both found and not found. Try creating a very simple PQ without setting any of the additional conditions. And you don't have to set a day to actually run it until you are happy with the results you see in the preview.

Please go to the edit page of your PQ and post the url. No Fear. The resulting web page appears as we do our own PQ just with your settings. That way we might detect the error.

Hans

Edited by HHL

No, it doesn't really make a difference, I use a Mac with an Oregon 450 and it works easily:

- Download the PQ to your Mac

- Copy the GPX-Files from the query to the /Garmin/GPX/ folder on your Garmin GPSr or its SD card (if there's any)

I see both my Oregon and the SD card as drives on my Mac when I connect the device by USB.

After transferring, the caches stored in the PQ should be available on the handheld. Just be sure you copy to the right folder as mentioned above.

No, it doesn't really make a difference, I use a Mac with an Oregon 450 and it works easily:

- Download the PQ to your Mac

** The file/files may need to be unzipped, prior to the next stage! **

You will see 2 files - ****.gpx and ***.wpts.gpx

- Copy the GPX-Files from the query to the /Garmin/GPX/ folder on your Garmin GPSr or its SD card (if there's any)

I see both my Oregon and the SD card as drives on my Mac when I connect the device by USB.

After transferring, the caches stored in the PQ should be available on the handheld. Just be sure you copy to the right folder as mentioned above.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

** The file/files may need to be unzipped, prior to the next stage! **

You will see 2 files - ****.gpx and ***.wpts.gpx

That's true, I should mention that on a Mac, downloading by Safari, the files are actually unzipped, but each PQ in a seperate folder in the users Download folder.

Other browsers may download them as a ZIP file, which needs to be extracted.

BTW, It helps a lot to include the Pocket Query name in the filename in the Pocket Query definition on the GC website, to identify the right query files, once you run several different queries (There's a selection box for that on the lower part of the PQ definition page).