Collectible Preference

sporfrog

I'm kind of on a mission to make Trackables simply work better. There are a lot of things that could help. Here is one that may help them not get "lost"...

I am only guessing, but I suspect that most trackable owners do not want their trackable collected, and instead want it to go from cache to cache. I have no idea if that is 60%, 80% or nearly all. Anyone know? Assuming it is most, it seems like the default setting when activating a trackable should reflect what most owners want - not collectible. Further, why is there an unset, "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference.", setting? Seems like it should be binary - collectible or not.

Make sure you set this setting to match your preference!

I'm kind of on a mission to make Trackables simply work better. There are a lot of things that could help. Here is one that may help them not get "lost"...

I am only guessing, but I suspect that most trackable owners do not want their trackable collected, and instead want it to go from cache to cache. I have no idea if that is 60%, 80% or nearly all. Anyone know? Assuming it is most, it seems like the default setting when activating a trackable should reflect what most owners want - not collectible. Further, why is there an unset, "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference.", setting? Seems like it should be binary - collectible or not.

Make sure you set this setting to match your preference!

The reason it's unset is, if you don't need that feature, you don't need to set it.

One unfortunate result of Groundspeak using the term "Collectible" is it plays into the sticky-fingered crowd. That and the goofy "Keep it" statement in the App that TPTB has no issue with, although everywhere else on Geocaching.com they state that if you find a nice Geocoin, DON'T keep it.

"Collectible" (or the "Collection") is simply a digital way to organize Trackables. It's for particular purposes, and absolutely in no way means one may pocket the coin, ever. Also, when using the "Collection", proper logs are to be made. And if it did mean you could keep it, the taker would have to release it upon the owner's request, because it belongs to the owner.

Most of my TBs and coins are marked "Not Collectible". AND physically marked "Do Not Keep Me". They were stolen anyway. Go figure.