Help Link on Trackables

sporfrog

I'm kind of on a mission to make Trackables simply work better. There are a lot of things that could help.

One is the link on every trackable page that reads "First time logging a Trackable? Click here.". Couldn't this link point to something better? Why does it go to the general Trackables page and not to a "How To" page. Since logging geocoins and other trackables is exactly the same, point it to a simple page about "What to do if you find a trackable" or "How to log a trackable". Keep it simple. Make it easy for new geocachers to figure out how to log trackables! Make it a responsive page so it is readable on a smartphone as well as a computer.

Help newbies keep trackables moving!

Whew...that felt like a rant. It wasn't intended to be. (:

Last I looked, how-tos and FAQs are on the link you provided, and is on every trackable page.

You simply need to click on one. :)

The new folks seem to have issues all around, not just in trackables.

Don't want to read up on how the hobby's played, just go I guess.

Newbies think your trackable's the prize on this "real world outdoor treasure hunt".

- A kinda souvenir.

We had some who thought they were supposed to rehide our caches too.

But it's the long-time cachers we have the most trackable issues with.

Took-it-to hoarders mostly...

Last I looked, how-tos and FAQs are on the link you provided, and is on every trackable page.

Thanks for replying! Yes that is true, but it goes to the general Trackables page that allows the reader to do a lot of different things (There are 16 links plus three fields to enter data.) It can be confusing. My thought is the link should take the reader to a simple "How To" page so they don't have to decide what to click next.

Thanks for replying! Yes that is true, but it goes to the general Trackables page that allows the reader to do a lot of different things (There are 16 links plus three fields to enter data.) It can be confusing. My thought is the link should take the reader to a simple "How To" page so they don't have to decide what to click next.

Was sorta with you until, "...so they don't have to decide what to click next".

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'd like to dumb-down the hobby any more than its become already.

The simple Geocaching 101 link that (used to be?) in the Intro app (haven't looked at this new one) was pretty-much disregarded.

I feel if they're interested, they'll read up on it, and some rare types even enter the forums. :)

Was sorta with you until, "...so they don't have to decide what to click next".

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'd like to dumb-down the hobby any more than its become already.

The simple Geocaching 101 link that (used to be?) in the Intro app (haven't looked at this new one) was pretty-much disregarded.

I feel if they're interested, they'll read up on it, and some rare types even enter the forums. :)

Every geocacher was once a newbie and if they keep playing eventually finds their first trackable. I remember when I ran across one the first time. I recall reading about them previously, months prior, but really didn't know what to do. I remember reading through long complicated instructions when all I really wanted to do was finish my logging. Making it easy to determine what to do with it is not dumbing-down anything. Good simple easily available instructions that properly educate newbies benefits everyone and only makes the game better.

My thought is the link should take the reader to a simple "How To" page so they don't have to decide what to click next.

Trackables are complicated, especially when someone decides to do anything related to logs. Personal enrichment (theft for profit) creates logs that are meaningless, or accurate logs are absent, and Owners are left to figure out what to do. But there's also laziness, where someone "can't figure out how what to do", and somehow the dishonest thing is the thing they decide to do. Here's a simple How To: "If you can't figure it out, ask, or leave it in the cache". But be prepared for differing opinions, since the subject is a minefield without consensus.

The biggest problem is that Groundspeak is also confused. And they are not at all open to suggestions. They've made a huge mess of Trackables, and they insist on the mess remaining. I document these things, it's bad. It's so bad, I've started suggesting to stop placing Trackables in caches. Buy a nice coin, and keep it. And don't activate it.

Here's an example of what Groundspeak thinks. It's the kind of thing that happens when they make a "How To" page. Notice anything very wrong about it? Hint: They couldn't make a better plan to get Trackables lost, if they tried. And this "listing service" that creates the chaos and won't get involved in conflicts, also sells these things. Minefield. I could not get away with running a business like that. I wouldn't want to.

fad94bf3-105e-4a50-85da-28071597f745.jpg

Edited by kunarion

What is your understanding of the "collectible" attribute?

The "Collection" at its most basic level, is a way to clean up the cacher's Inventory list so that he doesn't accidentally log it when making a cache log. "Collectible" is the first switch selected which allows a coin to be placed into a Collection. The coin is not play, so to speak. It's not currently to be placed into caches, so it's in a different Inventory, the "Collection". It's all above-board with honest logs, so there are no misunderstandings. I'd appreciate an honest log in any case (the finder lost it, or broke it, or is pocketing it, or is selling it, or knows who did). But that's not happening.

The "Collectible" attribute can't get a Trackable lost or pocketed due to the setting. It's a setting that allows a finder to log it into their Collection, or an Owner to do so. The App's text "You may hold on to it" should be followed by "after making the proper logs (see link here). Be sure the Owner is OK with this".

I think your coin (Moun10Bike) is available for anyone to take and keep. If these are marked "Collectible" (I checked, and it seems they are), they also should have text on the coin's page about what finders may or may not do when taking a coin (which there is), and it's clear that the Owner retains Ownership and control.

If the idea in your coin's case is that the coins are not to be in the finders' digital "Collection", marking them "Collectible" is kind of confusing. Did I mention that the whole subject is massively confusing :anicute:? If the idea is that they can be placed into a finder's "Collection", text about how to do that would be ideal. The coins may be kept, but the finders are not releasing them (I'm guessing :ph34r:), so they may wish to place them into their Collection. That's what the feature is for. For that coin, the plan is fine.

That coin is an unusual case. OK, I know you invented Geocoins, so 99% of all other Geocoins are the unusual case :anibad:. It's just how the system was set up. It went bad when the term "Collectible" was defined on the site as "May be properly logged into a cacher's online Collection". Because to many people, the word "collectible" means "I may keep it immediately upon finding", nevermind the Owner's wishes. That is "I keep it, I own it, I can sell it, it's mine". Look at the threads on this very Forum where people say "I'm keeping it until I find out if he may mark it Collectible" (in which case the finder will keep it :unsure:).

I think "Collectible" was made very broad on purpose, as a catch-all for several Geocoin issues. So it's flexible and may be used in many ways. You may have a coin and mark it Collectible, and ask that Finders treat it as you wish, and that's great. But the official text that "You May Hold Onto It" has got to go. Change that whole line to "In most cases, no." And leave it at that. OR have a link to what Groundspeak means when they say "add it to your collection". Which is completely different than pocketing the coin into one's ... ahem... collection.

Edited by kunarion

The words chosen make a difference. Maybe instead of "Collectible Preference" (which is vague) it could be a simple question. "Can this trackable be kept?" Make it default to NO. In the app screen shot where circled in a previous post "Can I keep it?"... The answer should be "No! Unless the owner has specifically indicated so." If an owner wants to keep it themselves, mark it YES and move to their collection. If the owner is OK with someone else keeping it mark it YES and place it in a cache.

Besides the keeping part, the app instructions in the screen shot do seem to be simple and maybe could be a model for the website link on each trackable!

The words chosen make a difference. Maybe instead of "Collectible Preference" (which is vague) it could be a simple question. "Can this trackable be kept?" Make it default to NO. In the app screen shot where circled in a previous post "Can I keep it?"... The answer should be "No! Unless the owner has specifically indicated so." If an owner wants to keep it themselves, mark it YES and move to their collection. If the owner is OK with someone else keeping it mark it YES and place it in a cache.

Besides the keeping part, the app instructions in the screen shot do seem to be simple and maybe could be a model for the website link on each trackable!

That's an apt term, but Collectible does not always mean a finder gets to keep it. Car Travel Bugs are sometimes Collectible and thus placed into the owner's Collection for the purpose of limiting the available logs to Discover and Note. People don't know that once it's in the Collection, they can and probably should mark back to Not Collectible. In most cases.

Collectible actually means "The owner has started the process of moving this Trackable into a Collection". Any confusion about the feature should have been cleared up years ago. Now we can only guess.

Edited by kunarion