Anyone from the Norfolk Area???

American Eagle

I am looking for someone to check on the status of the construction at Mount Trashmore. I have a cache there. My brother who is in the navy has been unavailable to help me out. I just need to know if the construction is over. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

American Eagle and Lady Liberty.

I've Lost My Marbles

Hey Sea Dog,

I'm in Newport News, and relatively new to geocaching (about a month now). I've managed to get three friends into geocaching and I'm working on about four more, but I was curious about the existing Geocaching community in Hampton Roads. Do HR cachers ever get together? Or do we just kinda bump into each other in the woods?

--

"No, that's just a couple of shoes tied in a grocery bag."

quote:
Originally posted by Golfhaus:

Hey Sea Dog,

Do HR cachers ever get together? Or do we just kinda bump into each other in the woods?

There was a "Trash Out" event cache in Hampton a few weeks ago. Not much of a turn out though. My Scoundrelettes were sick that day so I didn't make it. That was the only get together I can remember. Mostly we just bump into each other in the woods. I've run into three other cachers so far. There seems to be some interest in a get together. I've seen some pretty big get togethers with special caches hidden just for the event. They usually get pretty big turn outs. Events like that take a little planning. Maybe we should start something on a smaller scale. An event cache with coords leading to a cooler full of beer or something would be enough to get me there! There are a lot of cachers in Hampton Roads but there does not seem to be many that read or post to the forums. I think if someone just created an event cache a few weeks away people would show up.

quote:
Originally posted by Sea_Dog:

There seems to be some interest in a get together.

There are a lot of cachers in Hampton Roads but there does not seem to be many that read or post to the forums. I think if someone just created an event cache a few weeks away people would show up.

Gotcha... I'll keep my eyes open for something like that - I'd offer to help organize one, but my work right now is keeping me out of town several days out of the week until at least the middle of August. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of the other cachers around here soon!

--

I'm also in Newport News. I missed the CITO event (even tho it was at the site of my cache) because I was out of town, expect a couple of more out of town trips this summer. BUT... a set of coordinates leading to a cooler of beer, or some other kind of get together would certainly intrest me.

quote:
Originally posted by HJS:

I missed the CITO event (even tho it was at the site of my cache)

Heh heh... the pill bottle in that picture of me might actually look a little familiar to you, HJS. What can I say, I got caught up in the excitement of the moment.

--

There are a lot of "Hampton Roads" cachers. We organized the CITO event, but as Sea Dog noted didn't have much of a turnout. Not quite sure why as the cachers around here do seem pretty active. I even went through all local caches and sent personal emails so that those that didn't read forums would know about it.

I was considering a "hot potato" type travel bug competition between the Tidewater Region and the Peninsula Region. The bug would go back and forth across the bridges. Maybe some friendly competition would help people be more interested in meeting on another in person sometime.

Janine

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Cacheola Crew:

I was considering a "hot potato" type travel bug competition between the Tidewater Region and the Peninsula Region.

That sounds like a wonderful idea! icon_smile.gif I second that motion.

--