APE Cache

JordsAU

Hi! I will be attempting to find the 'Mission 4: Southern Bowl' APE Cache on Tue, 7th June.

Just by chance, this will also be within a week of the cache's 15th anniversary!!!

I am flying into Sao Paulo on the Monday afternoon and leaving from there on Wednesday night. My plan is to travel to the park on the Monday afternoon (from the airport) and staying 2 nights in the park.

If anyone is planning on visiting the park to find this cache, and would like some company, please contact me ASAP through the Message Center. While my flights are locked in, my plans are still flexible at this stage.

JordsAU

I spent this weekend there, with a sunny friday, the rain returned on saturday afternoon and all sunday.

But it is always a great trip every time I went there, this time with a lackey... as long we know, the first one on the last Ape cache in the world.

Even if the rain might be a constant in the park area, I suggest that you choose carefully the season to travel... the dry one, of course.

Is there any definitive guide anywhere that someone may have posted with information about how to go about making a trip for this APE? As in, strategies, culture, connections, what to take, prepare for, etc? Like, "Read this if you want to plan a visit to the last remaining APE cache..." :)

Edited by thebruce0

Is there any definitive guide...

Not that I know.

But it is no big deal... and if you can speak a little of portuguese and a lot of gesture, you will be fine. :)

A local geocacher willing to go with you can be a plus.

Arriving to São Paulo airport and renting a car speaking only english is easy, but the next 230km with the last 20km on a dirt road (often mud), in places where almost everyone speaks only portuguese, may be challenging if something happens.

It is possible to arrive to Brazil, grab the car, drive to the park (around four hours), find the Ape Cache (around an hour) and return to the airport on a single day, but I suggest spending at least a night in one of the park lodges, or in Capão Bonito 40km from the park if all the lodges are booked. The closest little town, Ribeirão Grande has no hotels.

Inside the park there is a restaurant with tasty food at fixed prices. Around $6 lunch or diner and $2,50 for the breakfast.

Giving a look to the logs on the cache may give you useful details.

I will try to update any info.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

http://www.vacationsmadeez4u.com/rwt/view/513

Here is a travel agent that does trips down to Brazil. Prices are pretty reasonable.

Found one that went for over 1,000 dollars. Thats quite a lot of money don't see one for less but I'll keep looking later.

$1000 for a trip to Brazil is reasonable. When I did some calculations it would have been about $2600 I think for two people. The lodging is very cheap there at the park. And when you consider all the things you would be doing for the trip that this travel agent has it's very reasonable in comparison to a similar trip somewhere else that far away.

Here is a travel agent that does trips down to Brazil. Prices are pretty reasonable.

Found one that went for over 1,000 dollars. Thats quite a lot of money don't see one for less but I'll keep looking later.

$1000 for a trip to Brazil is reasonable. When I did some calculations it would have been about $2600 I think for two people. The lodging is very cheap there at the park. And when you consider all the things you would be doing for the trip that this travel agent has it's very reasonable in comparison to a similar trip somewhere else that far away.

To my generation, thats a lot of money for something only 1 week for something so far away. Going to Brazil would be nearly the same price as a semester at college.

To my generation, thats a lot of money for something only 1 week for something so far away. Going to Brazil would be nearly the same price as a semester at college.

Yes for someone in college without a professional job that is a lot of money. But I'm saying in comparison to vacations in other countries this trip is much less. A trip to say the Caribbean for a week would cost probably 3x as much. The lodging costs in Brazil are around $15 per night at the park which is practically nothing.

It is certainly cheaper than some vacations I've taken.

Hiring a travel agency for geocaching is one of the weirdest things I can imagine. Especially when there are fellows geocachers willing to help. :(

Maybe....but this way you are guaranteed to be with a group, which is something I prefer when going to a country like Brazil. No offense, but I consider group trafels safer in this case.

Has anyone any experience with this particular travel agency and the APE tour that they offer? Are they reliable?

No offense, but I consider group trafels safer in this case.

Not taken... I am not brazilian even, but it's your handicap, not theirs... all my dutch friends also censored when I went caching alone inside sumatraplein...

sumatraplein? What is that, Rui?

Curious about this as well and what you mean with censored.

Are there visa fees? Are they expensive?

A friend is going to Brazil for another event, they indicated the just missed the Olympic cutoff easement. They never gave a dollar amount but to mention it, likely means it a little bit of money.

Depends on your nationality whether you need a visa and what the costs are.

Depends on your nationality whether you need a visa and what the costs are.

Can/Us ? I can look it up, but I just thought someone may know/have experience.

August 2016

Effective immediately, staff of the Brazilian Foreign Ministry, and the Brazilian embassies and all consulates general of Brazil are on strike for an indefinite period.

1)NO VISAS WILL BE ISSUED by the Brazilian authorities anywhere in the world.

Wow

Cost (Canada)

Visa - Tourist $120 + $95 Service Charge

Visa - Business $120 + $95 Service Charge

Visa - Work $150 + $95 Service Charge

Edited by MKFmly

sumatraplein? What is that, Rui?

3486hat.jpg

My friends also said it's not good idea going there alone. Silly, isn't it?

Depends on what you think is silly, but I think it is nice they warned you. There are certain areas in the main cities (like in every main city all around the world) where there is a lot of criminality and even the people living there don't feel safe, especially in the evening and at night. And from what I've read in local press that area is like that, so I'm glad you haven't experienced anything negative and enjoyed your stay. But of course the definition of "a lot of criminality" also depends on what you are used to and have experienced all over the world. Not everyone is treated the same way in each country.