When is a cache location "inappropriate"

BFG99

Would you also have an issue with children e.g. being present during the process when an animal gives birth?

Depends on the emotional maturity of the child I suppose. I know of some adults who are incapable of watching something like that.

I'm not arguing either way. Every cache owner has to make up their own mind on the issue. Some folks will get upset over the smallest of issues. I can't predict every conceivable outcome.

Would you also have an issue with children e.g. being present during the process when an animal gives birth?

Depends on the emotional maturity of the child I suppose. I know of some adults who are incapable of watching something like that.

I'm not arguing either way. Every cache owner has to make up their own mind on the issue. Some folks will get upset over the smallest of issues. I can't predict every conceivable outcome.

And to that end, every cacher has to make up their own minds about which caches to visit. We have an attribute to denote caches that may not be appropriate for children, and there are numerous examples of caches in places that some people may not choose to bring children for various reasons. Ultimately, it's up to the parent to keep an eye out and set their own boundaries. As a parent, this cache placement wouldn't bother me one bit, but I do check bigger caches for chick tracts and other mystical paraphernalia because I absolutely do not want my child exposed to such things. It is always my responsibility to watch out for my child, whether it's a matter of safety or personal values.

But that's an individual issue and not an issue of family friendly and in my opinion also not really of emotional maturity. Maybe it's rather a topic that the modern life of many people is so

much disconnected from nature.

There are a lot of computer games legally available to kids which I regard as much more problematic than being exposed to the anatomy of a horse.

I agree, some people get upset very easily. That does not change my opinion that I do not see an issue with the proposed cache with respect to not being family friendly. There are many other potential

issues however as also this discussion here demonstrated.

and hiding a cache as you describe is a little disturbing and not family friendly. :blink:

While I would neither hide a cache there nor like to search for a cache anywhere at the statue, I do not agree at all with the above which again demonstrates that family friendly means something different to different people.

It's a statue of a horse after all and that's like a horse looks like.

I have no issues with children being present when an animal gives birth. I live on a farm and have raised my children on a farm.

But, we can't compare natural birth to Beavis and Butthead type humor of a geocacher placing a nano on the penis of a horse statue just for poots and giggles.

+1 to narcissa's post; I agree that it's ultimately up to the parent (or the adult cacher) to decide what is appropriate for their children or themselves, provided of course that the cache owner has appropriately marked the cache as not family friendly, and provided adequate hints as to the type of placement. This discussion has convinced me of that.

That said, I also agree with Manville Possum that the suggested placement was immature. Perhaps not immoral, but immature. Sure, it's a horse statue at the entrance into a breeder's stead, so the exact placement makes some sense. And it's in a rural area populated mostly by cattle and horse farmers who wouldn't even bat an eye. But out-of-towners probably would. And, while there's absolutely nothing wrong with an anatomically correct statue or having a cache near it - it just reflects reality and I consider it an impressive work of art - you can do so without calling attention to the statue's genitals or possibly causing damage. So why not place it in a way that's responsible and family friendly?

That said, I also agree with Manville Possum that the suggested placement was immature.

Of course I do not know the person who wanted to hide a cache there while you do. I would not consider it automatically to be immature. Couldn't it be that the location seemed as the most appropriate for leaving a cache directely at the statue to someone with no experience in maintaining caches?

So why not place it in a way that's responsible and family friendly?

I still do not agree that the placement is not family friendly by definition. It depends what one makes out of it. What comes to people's mind depends a lot on their mindset. I can take a hideout without trying to interpret what possibly the cache owner could have had in mind and do not automatically assume some hidden meaning.

BFG99, you are correct that most of us in rural farmland would not bat an eye at an anatomically correct horse statue. Hide a micro geocache on it to call attention to it's penis... what the heck kind of people do that? I would ask that those geocacher people stay out of my fields and away from my livestock. <_<

Hiding a geocache to call attention to the statue is fine, and I would even list it as a Waymark.