Garmin 64st downloaded caches do not appear

Hello!

This problem recently started and I'm not sure what I did to perhaps cause it.

After a recent trip out of the area I removed the geocaches, and waypoints in my 64st using the file explorer.

I've done this many times without issue.

This time, after deleting them, I loaded new geocaches using GSAK. The new geocaches don't display when I do a search. I get instead, "No Results Found Try Adjusting Search Parameters"

I've no clue as to how to adjust search parameters. All the caches loaded are within a fifty mile radius. I can see the file when I look in file explorer. It just won't display.

A call to Garmin suggested I use BaseCamp to load the caches instead of GSAK. Same result.

I've done a hard reset on the unit and still no change.

Help?

Have you just tried to drag and drop the extracted file directly into the GPS file on the internal memory or SD card depending on what you use?. That is all I have ever done without using basecamp or GSAK and have never had an issue. You actually don't need either to load caches on your 64st. Also make sure you are not on the "show Found" on the cache page although I think that defaults to not found anyway.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Hello!

This problem recently started and I'm not sure what I did to perhaps cause it.

After a recent trip out of the area I removed the geocaches, and waypoints in my 64st using the file explorer.

I've done this many times without issue.

This time, after deleting them, I loaded new geocaches using GSAK. The new geocaches don't display when I do a search. I get instead, "No Results Found Try Adjusting Search Parameters"

I've no clue as to how to adjust search parameters. All the caches loaded are within a fifty mile radius. I can see the file when I look in file explorer. It just won't display.

A call to Garmin suggested I use BaseCamp to load the caches instead of GSAK. Same result.

I've done a hard reset on the unit and still no change.

Help?

Are the caches more than 150Km/100 miles from your location? If so, try "search near" or zoom out, scroll to where the caches are supposed to be and zoom in again. You should see the caches then.

Do you see the GPX/GGZ file when you look at the GPS with a file explorer?

BTW, exporting caches in GSAK is more efficient using the GarminExport macro.

Most all of the caches are within fifty miles. And yes, the GGZ file is there.

I have a similar problem with my GPSMAP64st. When I copy GPX files or download lists to the GPS, the caches are usually there, but previously loaded ones disappear. Then when I reboot the unit, sometimes all the caches disappear. It is quite random. I read an earlier message board suggestion to put the caches on the SD card. Then if they disappear, remove the card, reboot, reinstall the card, reboot and they are back - sometimes. Since the SD card is located under the battery, this is not a practical solution in the field and it doesn't always work. I had a long back and forth with Garmin support, but they failed to solve the problem and finally suggested I should return the unit. Since I had read that this is a known issue, it is clearly a software bug so I saw no value to return the unit.

Just a couple of points.  Sounds like you've already gotten lots of advice.

1.  Make sure you wait till the file is completely loaded.  I have found that if you jump the gun and disconnect the gps early unpredictable things can happen.  Also properly disconnect the gps from the computer and get permission to disconnect it.  

2.  Make sure file names contain only letters and numbers and no punctuation or spaces.  Sometimes this file will not load and you get no indication this is a problem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by PeoriaBill
4 hours ago, PeoriaBill said:

1.  Make sure you wait till the file is completely loaded.  I have found that if you jump the gun and disconnect the gps early unpredictable things can happen.  Also properly disconnect the gps from the computer and get permission to disconnect it.  

I've been caught out with this one. I found that I have to leave the USB cable connected until the 64st has re-booted and the bar graph across the bottom of the screen has moved all the way from from left to right. 

On 5/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, Zolt_2 said:

I have a similar problem with my GPSMAP64st. When I copy GPX files or download lists to the GPS, the caches are usually there, but previously loaded ones disappear. Then when I reboot the unit, sometimes all the caches disappear. It is quite random. I read an earlier message board suggestion to put the caches on the SD card. Then if they disappear, remove the card, reboot, reinstall the card, reboot and they are back - sometimes. Since the SD card is located under the battery, this is not a practical solution in the field and it doesn't always work. I had a long back and forth with Garmin support, but they failed to solve the problem and finally suggested I should return the unit. Since I had read that this is a known issue, it is clearly a software bug so I saw no value to return the unit.

I also have this problem, and agree that it is quite random.  I can take the same GPX file that works on my Oregon 450t and drop it on the 64st and get nothing.  I have no filters and search parameters yield no results.    Sometimes all of the caches disappear in the field.  Showing one minute, gone the next.

Very Frustrating.