Hidden caches until achievement

I was thinking about the world map and the MANY caches are on there. The map in western world is like one huge ant hill of caches.

Wouldn't it be fun to add a property to caches so that they only show up on the map after you have achieved something? So the more you cache the more caches pop up and they gradually become harder. Like a beginner shouldn't do a multi that requires projection or cross bearing, you can do this after you found a lot of caches.

What do you think of this system of "earning" more caches on the map the more you do it?

What does spending a weekend on the ET Highway finding fungible film canisters have to do with your ability to complete a multi-cache that requires projection or cross bearing or anything else?

Find count is the wrong measure.

If you want an "exclusive" cache that only certain people are allowed to log online, then see the Help Center article Challenge Caches.

If you want an "exclusive" cache that only certain people are allowed to view online, then see the Help Center article Premium Member Only Geocaches.

Wouldn't it be fun to add a property to caches so that they only show up on the map after you have achieved something?

That would be fun and I like those types of caches. They are called Challenge Caches. See niraD's post above.

So the more you cache the more caches pop up and they gradually become harder. Like a beginner shouldn't do a multi that requires projection or cross bearing, you can do this after you found a lot of caches.

What do you think of this system of "earning" more caches on the map the more you do it?

Interesting idea, but I don't think it's a good one. A cacher that has found 1000 micro caches along a power trail isn't more qualified to find a projection multi than a cacher that has found 50 caches of various types.

Also, consider that some geographic areas do not have the same quantity of caches. Suppose such a system requires 200 finds before a cacher is allowed to 'see' a projection multi cache. A cacher from a country without 200 caches in their entire country might never be able to qualify for such a multi. If they travel to another country on vacation and there are projection multi's there, then they won't be able to attempt the multi because they live in a location without many caches. That doesn't seem fair to me.

Wouldn't it be fun to add a property to caches so that they only show up on the map after you have achieved something?

That would be fun and I like those types of caches. They are called Challenge Caches. See niraD's post above.

Yes it looks a bit like challenges but it's still different. If you can't see the challenge caches you don't know what challenges there are right?

I'm more talking about a system where the difficulty of the visible caches on the map will increase once you found enough of the lower difficulty caches. But then couple it to some other property than just T/D rating. For instance once you've done 5 caches requiring projection you can go for projection without being there caches. Once you've done 3 of those you can do cross-bearings.

This way every time you log caches some others might (or might not) pop up, it will feel like getting rewarded every time you log

On another note: I've been staring at the challenges in my neighborhood since I started caching and they wont be logged for a long time to come, some never as they require you to have found more mysteries than tradis. That would be nice too, have more filters for the map than just the cache type. In one click you see only the challenges, or D5 caches etc. Like a pocket query for the whole world which shows the caches on the map immediately.

I was thinking about the world map and the MANY caches are on there. The map in western world is like one huge ant hill of caches.

Wouldn't it be fun to add a property to caches so that they only show up on the map after you have achieved something? So the more you cache the more caches pop up and they gradually become harder. Like a beginner shouldn't do a multi that requires projection or cross bearing, you can do this after you found a lot of caches.

You are more likely to see a system where what you see on the map is dependent on how much you pay for your membership.

No, I would not like at all to come home from a trip and find out that there were some neat caches where I was that I wasn't deemed worthy of looking for. Do you think maybe it would be an incentive to return to an area to find more caches? I don't think so. I think it would be a major turn off to the whole caching experience.

I know a few great geocachers who got into the game because their first cache was a challenging multi or puzzle that really engaged them right from the start. I don't think those people would still be playing if they were only allowed to see 1/1 traditionals to start.

No, I would not like at all to come home from a trip and find out that there were some neat caches where I was that I wasn't deemed worthy of looking for. Do you think maybe it would be an incentive to return to an area to find more caches? I don't think so. I think it would be a major turn off to the whole caching experience.

+1

I'm more talking about a system where the difficulty of the visible caches on the map will increase once you found enough of the lower difficulty caches. But then couple it to some other property than just T/D rating. For instance once you've done 5 caches requiring projection you can go for projection without being there caches. Once you've done 3 of those you can do cross-bearings.

This way every time you log caches some others might (or might not) pop up, it will feel like getting rewarded every time you log

Nope, I'm still not interested. As others have mentioned, if I travel to somewhere and go caching, then I'd prefer to see all the caches in that area because I may not be able to go there again.

Also, your idea would require that caches be categorized as 'projection'. What if someone does 5 caches that require projection, but the caches weren't properly categorized and now they can't move up to the next level? Or, what if some cachers categorize their caches as 'projection' even if they are not, just so other cachers can find 5 'projection' caches and then move to the next level. I don't see any reason to add this extra layer of complexity to the cache type structure.