Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kunarion

On The Trail With Deer Flies

There are some local trails that have deer flies (also called yellow flies). Often, they're on a sandy stretch of trail out of the shade.

These territorial flies attack and bite. They pummel you in the face, neck and back of the head. They aren't deterred by insect repellents. There are sticky pads to apply to a hat, a kind of fly trap, working on the habit of the flies attacking the back of one's head. Supposedly if you wear a tall feather, the flies attack that, the highest moving point. I haven't tested the feather idea.

But this weekend I bought an electric flyswatter. It's a handheld bug zapper. I walked the trail while holding the fly swatter up to head level, or above. It's kind of heavy to hold like that, probably no good for a long hike (also, it looks as silly as wearing a tall feather). But deer flies started getting zapped immediately, even before I noticed them. It was like the 4th of July out there. Every step brought new deer flies getting zapped. I didn't know there were that many deer flies on a trail, I'd thought there were just a few, just that they were persistent. I wonder if I walk that trail frequently with the bug zapper (or even the hat with the fly trap pads) if it will improve the situation over time.

A friend tells me that if a beer and a bug zapper are my entertainment, I might be a redneck. I shall ponder this.

5ce28dea-3326-4422-b9ee-5ead330a8a01.jpg

My Mother carries one of those around when she's gardening, or just hanging out on the deck.

She seems to take great pleasure with each spark as she hits one, showed us the crack! it makes tagging a hornet with it, as well as the fact that moths do catch fire. :laughing:

The other 2/3rd's Sister lives close by Virginia Beach in NC, and gotta admit, those @&$%* yellow flies are far worse than any horse flies around here.

Still don't much care for the multitude of gnats/black flies making any exposed part raw though.

Probably also good for hitting the person who's just about to beat you to FTF. Or your caching buddy that keeps changing the music in your car.

<_< What's the score? Who's winning?

I don't know, but I sure got all McEnroe on those flies!

Have you tried Cedar Scent? Then Bounce sheets also helps.

I've previously tried Tanglefoot, the sticky glue-trap-like stuff that's put around tree trunks to stop ants. I painted that onto duct tape stuck to the back of my hat, and also on a cup stuck on top (two suggestions). Neither did much, but I did catch a couple flies. I'm getting serious now, and ordering the real deal. Deer Fly Patches.

I haven't tried Cedar scent, nor Bounce sheets. I walked the trail with all-natural repellent and then with all-natural insecticide. I had a cloud of it behind me so the flies would all die in flight. I got insecticide mist oil all over myself. It fogged my glasses, the works. First repellant and next insect killer didn't bother the flies at all. If you're absolutely positive that Bounce or Cedar will do the trick, I can buy some. Otherwise, I'm waaaay beyond playing around with scented tissues and it's time for the 500-volt smack-down.

Edited by kunarion

Homemade version....

Lazy Killer 9000

If I'm reading it correctly, the buy game-ified the device and can transmit "kills" to his server and keep score. Not very practical on the trail, if you're away from the wifi, but there's probably a way you could store the information on the Arduino.

:blink: Have you considered hiring someone to keep the critters away from you.

I have people in mind, but are they available?

0e7287fb-70b2-46d9-ace1-ed453db028a4.jpg

$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMPEBRQ)uydH+w~~60_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

That's what I'm thinking of ordering. Except I'm hesitating because of one problem: The picture shows the fly accumulation after "one season" of trail hiking (per reviews I've read). So when one or two flies stick to that patch today, a hundred more are still flying free and biting. Imagine hiking along a path and every footstep kicks up another angry stinging wasp. And imagine that someone then told you the hat patch will trap one of the wasps. The someone is promoting it as the solution to the whole problem. Is it?

I'm unconvinced that the fly patch is a deterrent. It's more of a conversation piece.

But just as I have with all the other folk remedies that are absolute bunk, I'll probably give the fly patch a try. This is just like "tick repellent" deja-vu all over again. B)

Edited by kunarion

Ah yes, those sticky traps...

I stayed in a room in Latin America that had a mouse problem. In the closet I found one of those sticky traps, the kind made for rodents. On the non-sticky side it had instructions, saying "place against the wall", or words to that effect in Spanish. (Mice walk along walls.)

Somebody took those instructions to heart, and stuck it firmly to the wall. Like, glued to the wall, pretty much permanently, not just sitting on the floor right next to it. :lol:

Ah yes, those sticky traps...

I stayed in a room in Latin America that had a mouse problem. In the closet I found one of those sticky traps, the kind made for rodents. On the non-sticky side it had instructions, saying "place against the wall", or words to that effect in Spanish. (Mice walk along walls.)

Somebody took those instructions to heart, and stuck it firmly to the wall. Like, glued to the wall, pretty much permanently, not just sitting on the floor right next to it. :lol:

I once placed some "sticky pad" mouse traps in hidden areas of an apartment, to catch the unimaginably huge spiders and other creepy crawlers in a typical Georgia home. Thebtrap is 1/4"-deep super sticky goo in a shallow tub. One day I was moving some stuff around in a closet, and stepped directly into one of the sticky pads. Barefoot. Bugs and everything stuck in it. Yeah, great, right?

I also stepped in one in my formerly favorite sneakers. Now I use the kind that shape into a box. Step on it, and it collapses rather than sticking to your foot.

Edited by kunarion