Another Night Vision?

nikcap

Every few weeks someone floats the topic of night caching or caches you can only find at night. (See here for the latest. Having recently completed Marty's Night Vision, and enjoying every last minute of it, I was wondering two things. 1. Is there room for another cache like that in Central Jersey? 2. Are people scared off by such a cache? (It did go 10 or 11 months without a find)

Plus, wouldn't you love to give Marty a taste of his own medicine icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on January 24, 2003 at 09:02 PM.]

I've been thinking the same thing. Problem id finding a place legally accessible after dark. I LOVED Marty's Night Vision, it's a shame more people don't do it. I've been thinking maybe further south in the pine barrens. That should be great for the "spooky factor"! Even if it never gets the visits that something like "Hi Tech Retreat" gets, it would be nice to see another cache of this type in NJ.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

There are portable ones, and there is even a cache out there (not locally, but since its part of the trick to figuring it out, I don't to give it away) that requires it to solve, but not in this manner. I don't know if portable units are common enough to come by, though.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

I was wondering two things. 1. Is there room for another cache like that in Central Jersey? 2. Are people scared off by such a cache? (It did go 10 or 11 months without a find)

Plus, wouldn't you love to give Marty a taste of his own medicine

1. You partially answered your own question; if you place it, will they come?

2. Marty does not seek the types of caches he places, but perhaps that's because there are so few like them.

I don't believe state forests are closed after dark. Night caches are a great idea. I was thinking of doing one when I saw a forum post that mentioned something called Fire Tacks. The "stealth" type look perfect for this application. Is that what Marty used for Night Vision?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I would certainly love the try a night cache. The things I used were just bits of reflective tape slightly larger that a thumbtack. You can buy Bright Eyes, Fire tacks , etc at hunting stores , but you need so many it gets expensive. Just find some old traffic cones and salvage the white tape off them. White works so much better than red. A suggestion for anyone wanting to set up this type, bring along something like a milk crate to stand on and set the tacks as high as possible. That helps eliminate the casual jerk that wants to remove the tacks.

Mopar, I will do a Pine Barrens night cache, but not alone and without a weapon, too many Jersey Devil and Piney stories floating around.

We just did this night cache over the weekend. Although it was fairly short, it was really cool. We enjoyed it enormously and wanted to try to set one up for ourselves -- thanks for the link to the firetacks. The ones on this cache were white and highly visible over probably 300 feet.

I'm curious about the type of terrain other night caches use. In our area, the only real option is the state forest, which doesn't really have posted night access rules -- all the other parks are closed at night. There are fire roads which are wide and perhaps too easy to follow and very few decent trails. I'd like to send people through the woods, but I'm afraid if you have to navigate any kind of brush in the dark it might be too difficult. The cache we did was in a very sparse woods with little or no undergrowth.

quote:
posted Oct 16, 03 07:18 PM

I would certainly love the try a night cache. The things I used were just bits of reflective tape slightly larger that a thumbtack. You can buy Bright Eyes, Fire tacks , etc at hunting stores , but you need so many it gets expensive. Just find some old traffic cones and salvage the white tape off them. White works so much better than red. A suggestion for anyone wanting to set up this type, bring along something like a milk crate to stand on and set the tacks as high as possible. That helps eliminate the casual jerk that wants to remove the tacks.

Mopar, I will do a Pine Barrens night cache, but not alone and without a weapon, too many Jersey Devil and Piney stories floating around

I am going to set one up in the pine barrens in the spring have the spot all scoped out already. With no visits from the Jersey Devil but again I did see him caching last weekend there

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

I wish someone would post a night cache somewhere quite near me ... what with All Hallow's Eve right around the corner and all, it would be great timing

Night Walk in the Woods

Night Eyes of Niles

Founding Father Night Cache

I don't know where in PA you are located, but these three NIGHT caches are in OHIO. Two are near Niles,OH. I hope to try them soon. Night caching brings a whole new dimension to the game.

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

I just ordered a few boxes of Fire Tacks, so look for a northern NJ night cache sometime over the next few weeks.

The hard part is gonna be finding some place to put it that isn't closed at night and is far away enough from homes that people wandering around with flashlights won't arouse the suspicions of the neighbors.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by EliJoMikMiNi:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

I wish someone would post a night cache somewhere quite near me ... what with All Hallow's Eve right around the corner and all, it would be great timing

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cc2eda1d-826d-4f8f-8d93-0971c73bc4e4

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=da7ff382-8463-4e42-9264-f20f9179e6bf

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a9726889-bb59-44d4-a44b-01eaf47b3046

I don't know where in PA you are located, but these three NIGHT caches are in OHIO. Two are near Niles,OH. I hope to try them soon. Night caching brings a whole new dimension to the game. [quote}

I think Miss Jenn lives close to Philly so Ohio is quite a haul. However, I know of one night cache being planned near her.

I amazed others did not mention This cache located in Central PA. It will re-debut on Halloween Night! Read the earlier logs. A very challenging one indeed!

Salvelinus

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

I think Miss Jenn lives close to Philly so Ohio is quite a haul. However, I know of one night cache being planned near her.

Shweet! I am checking daily for any new caches that come up nearby ...
quote:

I amazed others did not mention This cache located in Central PA. It will re-debut on Halloween Night!

way cool timing.

-- Do you think lobsters look good on telephones?

quote:
Originally posted by moose_is_loose:

Well I found a place and scheduled a celestial event and set up a cache GCH67T Lake View III.

I will be near stage 3 with a lawn chair and spare battreies! The eclipse is @ max 8:06 pm and I am working on another idea and may have a demo set up. moose

dadgum! Too bad the forums were down most of last night and today. icon_mad.gif

If I had known about this earlier, I would have loved to gone down there. Oh well.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

My fire tacks have arrived. Night cache fans stay on the lookout for the results.

I picked up 2 boxes of H.S. Archery reflective trail tacks and 2 packages of H.S. Archery Mag Limb Lights (they look like twist ties)

I got them at Walmart for about $1.89 each

are these like firetacks?

scoobydooers

GC.com member BeachBuddies placed a night cache recently at Vint Hill Farms, VA. It is called Leprechauns Ritual, and there are NO nighttime restrictions for this park. He used FireTacks, which worked VERY well, and were nearly invisible in daylight (meaning, if you used a very powerful light in the daytime, you could pick them up, BUT a casual daytime hiker could not see them unless he scrutinized the trees VERY closely). BeachBuddies told me that he bought the factory-second FireTacks, and saved some money on them, but they seem perfect for our use.

Here is the cache listing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...65-88f884732d10

Another recent Night Cache (Urban downtown) in Fredericksburg, VA, that used reflective tacks and circles:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...db-7c6533ef448c

These were both excellent caches, and really, you only need GPS to find the strating points, flashlights do the rest.

I also am in the process of putting together a night cache, THANKS for the info on the WalMart sources!!

Cache on...