Montana 680T preloaded caches

Has anyone else had problems with the preloaded caches on montana 680 units. I have just recieved my new 680T with approx 2.5K geocaches preloaded. I cannot find them in the cache listing or see them anywhere on the map. When i search for a cache it says no caches loaded. I can see the ggz file which refers to the caches but the unit is obviously not reading the file.

The other side of this coin is that if i do manage get them back, how do I go about updating the file on a regular basis as I do with my pocket queries, there does not seem to be any advice on this subject. All replies greatfully recieved..

From what I have read, most users delete that file because the information is a year or more old, and there is no easy way to update that file. Best bet is to just keep your own PQ's updated and move them to your GPSr.

Thanks for the info, it kinda re inforces what I was considering. Just thought that Geocaching .com might have come up with a system for creating your own large GGZ file of caches ( i.e. a whole country if possible).

The device only shows the ones within in a certain distance if there are none it won't show any. Try a search by spelling which doesn't have that limitation.

Some (most?) of the newer models won't search by name outside of that distance, either. I have the eTrex 30 and GPSMAP 64, for example. A spell search will not call up caches beyond that distance on those two, and I assume it will be the same on other models with similar-aged firmware. What they WILL do is let you search for a city by name (anywhere) and then select Search Near, Recent Find, and then you can spell search around that point, and it will also list closest caches to that location.