Archived caches

As a premium member, I have set up a notification for archived trads and multis in my area. It's mostly for the curiosity factor. :)

If you know the GC code, you can still look them up. Otherwise I guess project-gc has some sort of function to find archived cache listings, but I don't know anything else about it.

EDIT: If it's one you've already found or if you know someone else that found it, it'll still be in your/their list of found caches.

Edited by TriciaG

can anyone point me in the right direction of how to search for archived caches on the geocaching.com page.

They seem to disappear from the map and no apparent search link is available to look for them.

I am just curious as to what happened to some I had a notion look for.

Thanks

If you have them on a bookmark list or know the cache owner's name or the name of any finders, then you can still read the cache page.

But they are not meant to be found, are supposedly removed physically, so they are removed from the map.

If archived caches still showed up on maps, then the map would be completely filled in. Not like certain areas aren't already. :rolleyes:

B.

Thanks for the info.

Sometimes it's useful to read the history of past caches to find the reason it was archived and to get a sense of why the cache hadn't survived.

The logs give an insight into the ease/difficulty of how it was found or not.

Anyhow I don't have the GC No or owner name so it may be almost cause.

When I want to know about an archived cache, there's normally a good reason that gives me a trail to follow. For example, if someone says, "I remember finding a cache here 5 years ago, but it's been archived," I can go back in that person's finds list to look for an archived cache they found in that area, and then I can follow the link.

Typically if you know there was a cache somewhere, and you know enough about it to want to know more, whatever told you that much should give you leads to help you track it down. I admit, I've had a time or two when I couldn't find an archived cache I wanted to see, but normally it's no problem.

Finding one often involves a bit of research or knowledge about a particular cache. If you know who the CO was, you can look under their profile and pull up all their caches, both archived and active. Or...if you know someone who found it, you could ask them for the GC number, or you can look back through THEIR finds and focus on caches in their find list that have been archived (which is easier if you know at least roughly when they found it).

If I want to look for any Belgian archived cache I just search my "Archived" database. A few years ago I found a database with all archived Belgian caches and from then on I've been moving caches that are archived to my own archived database.

It came in handy once to solve a mystery that relied on finding information on archived listings. It would have been a lot harder to find the info without having a local database.

can anyone point me in the right direction of how to search for archived caches on the geocaching.com page.

They seem to disappear from the map and no apparent search link is available to look for them.

I am just curious as to what happened to some I had a notion look for.

Thanks

Go to Project-GC.com and do a map compare with only yourself choose "None Found" then add the filter "show disabled/archived" then uncheck disabled. And this will show you all the archived caches and ones you haven't found too.