collecting Geocoins questions

Justin Of Terrytown

I have heard that some people collect Geocoins. If you collect them, how do you store them (in a box or what)?

There are binders with sleeves that coins can be placed into.

If you collect them, are you suppose to enter them into Geocaching.com with the tracking number?

For coins that you own, you may decide whether to activate them. Once activated, they may be brought to Events so that people can do Discover logs. Be careful never to let a box or binder of coins out of your control. Believe it or not, to many people, "Collect" means "Steal It". :ph34r:

There's a digital feature on the Geocaching.com site that allows organizing a large number of coins (unfortunately also called "Collection"), and that of course requires proper logs. The coins are placed in the "Collection" with the permission of the owners (and most often are the owner's coins).

If the coins are to be kept in a box for your enjoyment, you don't need to activate them. They only need to be activated if there are to be online logs.

Edited by kunarion

i have collected some geocoins too...I'm sure you are aware that coins that are activated and placed in caches are not for us to collect, they are for us to move on. so far as storing geocoins, I like lead dog coin pages (tese are made to hold coins, but first I remove them from the coin holders supplied by the sellers, and put them in PVC and Oil free coin flips (coins made with polyurethane and oils can damage your coins...copper coins esp,) my favorite are saflip . next my coins go into binders I purchase at the local mega mart...Meade binders have held up well for me . my wife also collects geocoins, but diplays hers on wall cabinets.

so far as activating coins, I do, my wife does not, but then again, her coins stay at home...mine go to events and geocaching gatherings were people will discover many of them, and I get to do a lot of talking and trading with other collectors . activating your coins will decrease the value if you chose to sell one or all of them later on...I would advise against displaying unactivated coins at events...you take the chance of your tracking number being copied and activated by someone else. in my mind it boils down to do you want to display your coins for others to see, or not. coins that you send out traveling should be activated. be prepared that coins you send out traveling might disappear...sadly some who find them in caches might assume they are swag, or might simply steal them. don't send out any coins that you aren't willing to never see again...sadly, that's the chance you take. there's also a lot of fun to be had seeing your coins work their way across the nation or across the world !

ILYK

ILYL

edited to add I just took a look, and I have almost 3600 activated geocoins in my collection

Edited by drneal
  • Upvote 1

I also collect geocoins. I have some of them displayed in a military challenge coin style display case. These can be found online (I got mine on Amazon). I also have some displayed, along with some pathtags, in a homemade display that my boyfriend made for me out of a block of wood.

CX7CldSUoAIrEhd.jpg

Personally, I activate all the geocoins in my collections. I do occasionally bring them to events for other geocachers to discover. You don't have to activate them though.

I enjoy collecting geocoins too, and I store mine in an ammo can.

Yeah. I have a coins I won at Events, coins I purchased, [noodles] I traded for, and my TBs which were stolen and that I've revived (which will never be placed again), all in a large ammo can. I like Sherminator's idea. I might someday make a stand to display some of the cooler coins.

I enjoy collecting geocoins too, and I store mine in an ammo can. Remember that activating them decreases their resale value.

+1

The other 2/3rds activated 200+ coins years ago, as she wanted to make a list and "give it only to her friends" to be discovered, thinking it fun.

- I think most know what happens next...

Years later, tired of still receiving "discovers" from all over Europe, found that if she wanted to rid herself of something she (really) isn't interested in anymore, she's gonna take quite a loss.

I have heard that some people collect Geocoins. If you collect them, how do you store them (in a box or what)? If you collect them, are you suppose to enter them into Geocaching.com with the tracking number?

The other 2/3rds keeps hers in (many) binders,kinda like a typical coin collection.

All the binders go into a rucksack, also trackable.

The lot's heavy enough, I got her one of those collapsible handtrucks to lug 'em to events.

The few things I have left, not even looked at much anymore, are in one of those mini ammo cans that had chocolate bullets inside.

As others said, if you ever decide to sell part of your collection later, they're not worth as much as the same, unactivated.