Pros and Cons of the New App

Since the first release of the new Free App it has improved massively. As a premium member this is fast becoming my Geocaching App of choice very closly behind CGEO. If you are a Premium Member this is a great App but has limitations with no offline map facility. For Basic Members, you are better with C-GEO at the moment due to the blocking of anything over 1/5 traditionals)

Pros:

• Free
  • Great looking, clean interface, a really good job.
  • Offline lists - working well now since last upgrade
  • Create list from the map
  • Filtering caches
  • list view and map view (from which you can create lists)
  • map up navigation as well as north up navigation
  • Fast and pretty accurate on my Samsung S5
  • Easy to use, seems intuative.
  • The official app which links to your membership
  • More development to come.
  • 1 month Premium upgrade £4.63 within the App for Basic Members

Cons:

• Very confusing cache sizes which are different to the web page. This is one of my biggest bug bears on the new app. Why have Groundspeak chosen to use different descriptions on different platforms (Not an Issue with C-GEO) e.g. "M" = Medium on the app but Regular on the Web I thought it would mean micro but "XS" = Micro!
  • No offline map function (Feature available on C-GEO).
  • Stored caches are not indicated any differently on the map page (Feature available on C-GEO)
  • Basic Members can only access traditional caches below 1.5/1.5 difficulty/terrain rating. No multi's or Puzzles which are available on the Web site (available on C-GEO).
  • Basic Members have to upgrade to full premium membership in order to access all Non Premium caches. (available on C-GEO)
  • Number of finders / dnf's not shown on the cache page

What I'd like to see:

• A One time Basic Membership in App upgrade to view all Non Premium Caches just like on the web around $5 - $10.
  • Free 30 day trial

As a reminder, c:geo is not an authorized Geocaching Live! API Partner application. The app gets its information by scraping the Geocaching.com website. Please keep this discussion focused on suggestions for the Geocaching® app, and not on promotion of c:geo. Thanks.

I finally realized that the icon that looks like a stewpot is the trashcan. However, there is no warning before deleting.

The other thing I posted in 2 other forums but have not seen addressed: I have a list of solved geoart. If I call one up I can see the solved coordinates. If I hit the delete, those are gone with no warning. The worst thing is that they are also deleted out of the website entry. And I cannot restore them to the website. I can enter them into the edit field but it does not update. I have to restore the solved coordinates through the app.

Since the first release of the new Free App it has improved massively. As a premium member this is fast becoming my Geocaching App of choice very closly behind CGEO. If you are a Premium Member this is a great App but has limitations with no offline map facility.

Pros:

• Free

This somehow carried over from the Windows app (with pm folks saying the same), and I'm kinda curious...

Where did you hear this called a free app?

Groundspeak calls it the Geocaching app.

An app that requires you to remain a pm (with its yearly fee) for as long as you want to keep all those full functions, isn't free. :)

- As you'll find if you ever miss that payment. :laughing:

As a reminder, c:geo is not an authorized Geocaching Live! API Partner application. The app gets its information by scraping the Geocaching.com website. Please keep this discussion focused on suggestions for the Geocaching® app, and not on promotion of c:geo. Thanks.

Keystone, apologises but my post wasn't intended to be a promotion of C-GEO simply a comparison to the features that it offers, although I can see how it could have been interpreted that way. It was actually intended as a promotion for the new app along with d my personal opinion is that Groundspeak could enhance the Official App by looking at C-GEO features which I would expect the official app to offer in order to a) make it more attractive to newbies and make is more usable in the field where their is no phone reception. I wasn't aware that C-GEO was not an authorized API Partner and obtained their data in that way. Of course, if the features were on the Official App then more players would swtich.

Edited by Stompy

Since the first release of the new Free App it has improved massively. As a premium member this is fast becoming my Geocaching App of choice very closly behind CGEO. If you are a Premium Member this is a great App but has limitations with no offline map facility.

Pros:

• Free

This somehow carried over from the Windows app (with pm folks saying the same), and I'm kinda curious...

Where did you hear this called a free app?

Groundspeak calls it the Geocaching app.

An app that requires you to remain a pm (with its yearly fee) for as long as you want to keep all those full functions, isn't free. :)

- As you'll find if you ever miss that payment. :laughing:

free%20app_zpsrur5fvbc.jpg

It took me a while to get used to the new app, but I generally like it now. Although I am not too fond of the new cache grouping thing, there should definitely be an on/off option for that. The one thing that really sucks big time is the mapping. Once you get off the blacktop and onto tracks and trails Google maps is absolutely useless. Why can't we have osm maps etc. in our app like we have om the PC??

I opened the app this afternoon, and now, instead of displaying all caches within a 10-mile radius, it only shows the tiny, useless area that the old paid app used to show, and everything outside of their tiny, arbitrary radius is circles with a number denoting roughly how many caches are in that area. Perfectly useless for my style of caching - I prefer being able to see the big picture, complete with ALL caches. Is there any chance at all that they'll fix this, or at least give me the option to see what I want to, or is this another hobby I'll have to give up because some idiot tried to "improve" the interface?

Something in between. There are other apps besides the "house brand".

What kills me is that Groundspeak took a perfectly usable app and broke it. I've been hearing a lot of complaints about their revenue model, too. I don't think I'll be recommending the hobby to anybody else.