Garmin POIs

I have a question I'm hoping someone can clarify. I bought a Garmin GPS, been playing around with it and found the POI file. So far I have been using GPX files to load points on my GPS. I have a list of the MN State Parks as a GPX, what would be the difference if I got those points into the GPI file? Would it be worth doing?

What model GPS?

Are you talking about geocaches or just regular waypoints?

In comparing regular waypoints versus "custom POIs". There is a limit on the number of waypoints (amount dependant on model) and a limit on the size of the name and description. With custom POIs, there is no amount limit and the name and description limit is much higher. Waypoints can be edited on the GPS. Custom POIs can't be edited on the GPS.

Geocaches may be treated differently depending on the model.

I have a Garmin 64s. So far I've been using GPX to load geocaches, but also would like to add things like the state parks. It's good to know that the amount limit is one difference. How about POIs that come from maps I have loaded? I'm very new to GPS devices, so I'm trying to understand how to manage all these points.

POIs within maps are different things and have nothing to do with custom POIs or waypoints.

Custom POIs have no amount limit. as Timpat states, if you are planning to leave the data on there for a long time, custom POIs are a nice methods as they are easier to manage as a group of points.

Waypoint amount limit is 5000.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000%7D

GPSMAP 64 (series)

2,000 GPX files

5,000 waypoints

No limit on geocaches (outside of max number of GPX files supported and memory available)

200 routes, 250 points per route

200 saved tracks

2,000 archive tracks*

10,000 points per track

500 custom map tiles

250 BirdsEye Imagery files

Approximately 3,000 mapping segments

Are we talking about geocaches? The eTrex 30 has paperless caching and you'll get more out of it if you load geocaches as .gpx files.

On the other hand, state parks (the parks themselves) ought to show up as POIs with your base map, so unless you're marking specific features within the parks, I don't think there is any reason to add the parks as waypoints or custom POIs to your gps.