Language translator?

Ed_S

Is there a way to translate cache pages into another language? I have the opportunity to visit a country where English is not spoken, and being a typical American, I don't speak any other languages.

With all the clever computer people out there, I'm surprised there's not an "auto-translate" function somewhere.

There is apparently a GSAK macro that will do this now. I've not yet tried it, so I can't say how well it works.

When I started caching in Germany, I used Google translate on the cache descriptions and then took written notes (I didn't have a GPSr that supported paperless caching). Over time, I got good enough to be able to do a rough translation myself, but if you're on vacation, I doubt you have the two and a half years I did for language immersion.

The last time I returned to Germany, I used Google translate to translate the cache descriptions and then manually edited the cache descriptions in GSAK (or trimmed out everything but the English version, if there was one).

Thanks for the replies. My wife has a business conference in Warsaw, Poland, and I'm tagging along. Some of the caches there have English translations on the page, but many do not. I was curious if there was a way to see cache pages in the language of my choice without having to go to a translator app or program. Now I know. Many thanks!

When abroad, I usually use Google's translator page to get the text translated, simply by copy and paste. As usual, the translation may be clumsy or even misleading, but mostly helped me to get along.

Not sure if I would go for mystery caches that way ...

I think the Chrome browser has this translation option already built in, though not quite sure as I don't use it.

... which is nothing else than translate.google.com, also available to non-GSAK users (like me ... my small Mac Book has not enough space to add Windows support to run GSAK) like I suggested.

But the macro is surely very useful for those that already use GSAK to plan their trips, thanks for the screenshots Hans!

... which is nothing else than translate.google.com, also available to non-GSAK users (like me ... my small Mac Book has not enough space to add Windows support to run GSAK) like I suggested.[...]

Yes, I know.

But its much smoother to use it with a GSAK macro when it comes to export the translation onto a Garmin unit. :lol:

And editing the sometimes suboptimal translation is a snap.

Hans

Edited by HHL

... which is nothing else than translate.google.com, also available to non-GSAK users (like me ... my small Mac Book has not enough space to add Windows support to run GSAK) like I suggested.[...]

Yes, I know.

But its much smoother to use it with a GSAK macro when it comes to export the translation onto a Garmin unit. :lol:

And editing the sometimes suboptimal translation is a snap.

Hans

But when you consider the hoops one must jump through and additional resources required to get GSAK to run on a mac, a copy-n-paste into a browser window may be a better option.

Although I haven't tried it, one of the least intrusive options for running GSAK on a mac may be to use an application called Wine. It doesn't run a copy of Windows (got a license for that?) plus a Virtual Machine container or require booting up a separate operating system just to run a single application. Instead rewrites the system calls in a Windows application to use MacOS calls. It's not without it's headaches though. It still requires running a copy of GSAK in Windows to set up authentication.

There is also the issue that while there is a free version of GSAK the nag screens will get very annoying after a very short period of time. The paid version is $30US. That's $30 one wouldn't need to spend when just using translate.google.com in a browser.

[...]

But when you consider the hoops one must jump through and additional resources required to get GSAK to run on a mac, a copy-n-paste into a browser window may be a better option.

[...]

I doubt that.

. ;-)

Hans

Edited by HHL

There is an app called Cachly that has this feature built in. It may be worth checking out.

http://www.cach.ly

Cachly is worth checking out for iOS users. It automatically feeds a cache description into google translate.

I wanted to have the translation saved for offline use - either in a caching app or in my gpsr. To do that, I made a bookmark in the app I use (Geosphere) that similarly translates the cache page with Google. Geosphere allows users to edit a cache description so it is a simple matter to copy and paste the translation.

I have also used GSAK to edit the cache description by copying and pasting the translation. But since I use Geosphere to manage all my caching, keeping it within the app is the simplest solution for me and I can export the information to my gpsr if need be.

Edited by geodarts