Lonely/Unloved caches, what is your total?

5 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

We found the final to a multi that had been archived four years ago.  Does that count?

Yup; I did the same with a multi that was archived but never retrieved because some of the virtual way points were removed by the city. Wayback-Machine and old Tourist photos got me the final coords and picked it up 2.5 years after archival. 

I found an archived puzzle cache that had never been removed. I reached into an object, saying to my friend, "This would be a good place for a cache." And amazed my hand settled on a cache. I pulled it out to show my friend. "Just like this one." :o The CO had never removed their archived cache. We logged it. I have revisited this cache, and there are many new logs. A geo-event was held nearby, and this archived cache got many logs from the event.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:11 PM, Goldenwattle said:

.... A geo-event was held nearby, and this archived cache got many logs from the event.

At a CITO event in a city park with a small lake, I was picking up various debris along the shore and found a cammo-taped preform floating in the reeds. Opened it up and saw my own signature as one of the last couple logs from 4 years ago. Checked my profile for the date and identified the cache ID. It had gone missing and was archived about 4 years ago. I passed it around and a bunch of the other CITO attendees logged it. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

At a CITO event in a city park with a small lake, I was picking up various debris along the shore and found a cammo-taped preform floating in the reeds. Opened it up and saw my own signature as one of the last couple logs from 4 years ago. Checked my profile for the date and identified the cache ID. It had gone missing and was archived about 4 years ago. I passed it around and a bunch of the other CITO attendees logged it. 

I was walking across a bare paddock and saw an object lying there. When I approached I was thrilled to see it was a large cache (it was like finding a present), but I had no idea where it should go, or what cache it was. I signed the log, left it in a nearby stump and took the coordinates. Later, when I managed to find what cache it was, I was able to log it. I also gave the coordinates for where it was now, so the CO could go retrieve it. It had 'wandered' over 200 metres from where it should have been. That cache wasn't archived, just gone walkabout. But I think it was archived not long after, as the CO didn't go fetch it.

This year I have found dozens of lonely caches, often greater than 2 years, many 4 and 5 years, one 8.5 years, and one 10 years.

My oldest lonely cache was a FTF of 14 years. Does anyone know where I can find records of old FTFs like this? I tried google, but only found a 12 year old FTF.

I recently found a mystery where the puzzle had vanished. The photos of previous finders helped. It was only about 1 year lonely I think. Interestingly, there's another, younger cache not even 30m from it. Someone either didn't pay attention when publishing or the owner of the mystery didn't provide the correct coordinates for the final.

Slightly off-topic: can someone who has Premium or knows how to use queries find out what the current oldest, active caches in Northern Territory, Australia are? I found a few lists of "oldest caches in Australia" but the ones I found had older caches listed that had been archived since the list was published. I'm curious about where they are. I assume they are located way out in the middle of nowhere, where they are more likely to survive. But it would be cool to go visit the oldest one I can reach.

1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

Slightly off-topic: can someone who has Premium or knows how to use queries find out what the current oldest, active caches in Northern Territory, Australia are? I found a few lists of "oldest caches in Australia" but the ones I found had older caches listed that had been archived since the list was published. I'm curious about where they are. I assume they are located way out in the middle of nowhere, where they are more likely to survive. But it would be cool to go visit the oldest one I can reach.

These are the ten oldest in the Territory:

image.png.b24d131350b6030abb3ad17364d010a2.png

• Helpful 1

Thank you for that! Greatly appreciated. ^_^

Of the ten listed, seven average 1,460km away from where I am (907mi). I doubt I'll ever be able to get to any of those. Two are in the city (one I've walked past but didn't have time to go log!) and I find it very surprising, that they've lasted 17 odd years … though one is virtual multi - so that one shouldn't be so surprising!

The tenth one is the exact type that I was after - close enough to be achievable, far enough to be a challenge to me. It's GC34E1, which is roughly 100km (62mi) away. Might not seem like a long distance to many people, but it'll be a bit of a trek for me. I'll be putting that one on my to-do list!

I'd love to go visit GC7CF0, it's about the definition of "middle of nowhere". It had two logs in 2015, one in 2016 and one in 2018. But at about 1,000mi (1,600km) distance from me, I don't see it happening.

Big thank you barefootjeff. :D