Using openstreetmap.nl, detailed maps not displaying on Garmin etrex 30

Up to now I have not had any problems downloading the free Garmin maps from openstreetmap.nl and installing them on my Garmin etrex 30. However, I have recently tried to install two new maps and I have not been able to do so. The first was a map of Geneva, Switzerland and the second a map of Oxford, UK. From the website I selected the relevant tiles and received the link to the gmapsupp.img file as usual. However when I installed the .img files on the Garmin the detailed maps are not displaying, only the basic route maps. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I cannot think what it is. Any help much appreciated - many thanks.

I have not updated my maps on my Etrex 30 for a while, but do remember having problems sometimes, had to delete and re-install files three or four times before it was OK. For one area in France used the "cyclemap" option - (think that was the description) which seemed to work when the normal one didn't. Wonder if there is some sort of bug in the system?

How many different maps or tiles can the Etrex hold (it's not unlimited)?

That must have been the problem, thanks. I had no idea the number of maps/tiles was limited and the Etrex manual doesn't say anything about it, so I have no way of knowing how many it can hold. (It's certainly not a memory capacity problem, as I store them on a micro SD card.) But I deleted some old maps that I don't use any more, tried installing the new ones again and voila, the problem is solved. Many thanks.

That must have been the problem, thanks. I had no idea the number of maps/tiles was limited and the Etrex manual doesn't say anything about it, so I have no way of knowing how many it can hold. (It's certainly not a memory capacity problem, as I store them on a micro SD card.) But I deleted some old maps that I don't use any more, tried installing the new ones again and voila, the problem is solved. Many thanks.

I have yet to encounter this problem but I have different maps on my Oregon600. I use JaVaWa to manage the maps (windows/mapsource/basecamp/gps) but manually rename the maps if I don't need them for a while. Of course local maps are always active but, for instance, my German, French, Norwegian, Australian, New Zealand maps all have been renamed with .bak as filesuffix. That way they don't get loaded on startup and can be renamed quickly if needed from my tablet (or laptop if I have it with me)

Made me think that a simple filemanager would be a good add-on for a GPS' software so renamin can be done on the unit B)

The problem is likely that each map you are downloading has the same name, ID, draw order, etc. Garmin thinks it's the same map and only reads one of them. Use JaVaWa to give them unique names and you can use multiple maps created by openstreetmap.

I don't think that was it, since I renamed each map on the PC prior to copying them to the etrex. So each map on the etrex already had a unique name. But thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is likely that each map you are downloading has the same name, ID, draw order, etc. Garmin thinks it's the same map and only reads one of them. Use JaVaWa to give them unique names and you can use multiple maps created by openstreetmap.

I don't think that was it, since I renamed each map on the PC prior to copying them to the etrex. So each map on the etrex already had a unique name. But thanks for the suggestion.

When you change the OS filename, you don't change the internal map name and ID. For e.g., if you have two gmapsupp.img files and rename them to file1.img and file2.img so they can both reside in your GARMIN folder, when you enable them in the GPS they are either both enabled or disabled as a unit. You'll see (for e.g. with the open cycle map) one openfietsmap map with two subentries for the separate files.

It could be that this internal map name conflict is what's getting in your way, hence the suggestion to try changing the internal header with JaVaWa, so the Garmin doesn't confuse them.

When you change the OS filename, you don't change the internal map name and ID. For e.g., if you have two gmapsupp.img files and rename them to file1.img and file2.img so they can both reside in your GARMIN folder, when you enable them in the GPS they are either both enabled or disabled as a unit. You'll see (for e.g. with the open cycle map) one openfietsmap map with two subentries for the separate files.

It could be that this internal map name conflict is what's getting in your way, hence the suggestion to try changing the internal header with JaVaWa, so the Garmin doesn't confuse them.

Thanks very much, I understand now. But I've installed Javawa on my Mac and I don't see how to get the .img files onto it so I can change their internal headers. There doesn't seem to be an option within Javawa to load .img files, only to create backups, which is not what I want to do.

Thanks very much, I understand now. But I've installed Javawa on my Mac and I don't see how to get the .img files onto it so I can change their internal headers. There doesn't seem to be an option within Javawa to load .img files, only to create backups, which is not what I want to do.

I'm not a Mac user, but there looks to be a good guide on using JaVaWa with a Mac at http://springerphotographics.com/2014/03/21/using-javawa-gmtk-to-fix-open-street-map-garmin-files/

When you select the maps at garmin.openstreetmap.nl you are emailed a link to several versions of your chosen tile set. One of those versions is Mac installable. After you have installed it, it should appear as an editable choice in JaVaWa. When you have edited and saved it, you would use MapManager, BaseCamp, or MapInstall to transfer it to the GPS. As indicated in the referenced guide, be sure those utilities are closed while editing the map with JaVaWa.

Here's a more "geeky" way to accomplish the same thing directly with a hex editor:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin#What_if_I_have_an_existing_gmapsupp.img_file.3F

Hope this helps.

Edited by skramble

I'm not a Mac user, but there looks to be a good guide on using JaVaWa with a Mac at http://springerphotographics.com/2014/03/21/using-javawa-gmtk-to-fix-open-street-map-garmin-files/

When you select the maps at garmin.openstreetmap.nl you are emailed a link to several versions of your chosen tile set. One of those versions is Mac installable. After you have installed it, it should appear as an editable choice in JaVaWa. When you have edited and saved it, you would use MapManager, BaseCamp, or MapInstall to transfer it to the GPS. As indicated in the referenced guide, be sure those utilities are closed while editing the map with JaVaWa.

Here's a more "geeky" way to accomplish the same thing directly with a hex editor:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin#What_if_I_have_an_existing_gmapsupp.img_file.3F

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. It was very helpful.