How To Delete Logs

curlingfan11

I need some help on how to delete logs. Any instructions? Can I delete other player's logs on my geocaches?

I think this is the wrong place on the forum to ask this question.

But yes you can delete other players logs.

To do that you have to go to that log and click on 'view log'. Then you get a new page with that log, on the rightside you see a delete button.

When you click on that you have to comfirm and the log will be removed.

De GC-lopers

I need some help on how to delete logs. Any instructions? Can I delete other player's logs on my geocaches?

What is your reason for deleting logs? If it's just because you can, that is not allowed.

I know some people who just post logs that don't mean anything.

Well unless they aren't indicating they found it You can't delete them. TFTC, found, or even just thanks are valid (although crappy) logs. Random letters, blank logs, feel free to delete. But give it a day or 2 first. Some people just log placeholders and change them after.

What is your reason for deleting logs? If it's just because you can, that is not allowed.

Well unless they aren't indicating they found it You can't delete them. TFTC, found, or even just thanks are valid (although crappy) logs. Random letters, blank logs, feel free to delete. But give it a day or 2 first. Some people just log placeholders and change them after.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!

I also have another question. Should I contact a geocacher who puts in log 'didn't have a pen to log it" or something similar. Should I ask them for proof?

Edited by curlingfan11

Thanks for the advice!

I also have another question. Should I contact a geocacher who puts in log 'didn't have a pen to log it" or something similar. Should I ask them for proof?

I don't. If you post "didn't sign it" on my cache page the log gets deleted. :anibad:

As a geocacher: The more finds a person has, the less that excuse holds weight with me. If you've found more than a thousand geocaches, I will always challenge the person. The more difficult a cache is to find to get to, the more I'm apt to challenge. It's rare, but I also audit the online log with the physical one, but only for caches people don't find while power caching (due to people signing as a team).

As a moderator: It's a pain to find posts after a moderator moves them, isn't it? I'm going to wait until conversation dies on this before moving it to the How Do I section, perhaps later this evening. So if you don't see this topic here, that's why.

Didn't have a pen? Not an excuse. You're a geocacher you should carry one. Actually IMO everyone should always have one.

Twice I didn't have a pen (one broke and one fell out of my pocket somewhere), both times I also returned to sign the log. A broken pen, or the log was to wet to sign, or some other unforseen incidebt, maybe. But just not bringing one, nope.

Actually IMO everyone should always have one.

I'm in full agreement with that. Unfortunately, just like when I correct others' grammar, people tend to get defensive about it. There was one time I forgot my pen. I wasn't geocaching during that time, nor was I doing anything that required a pen. I was still embarrassed I forgot the pen.

People also get defensive when I police the logs. For some situations, I decide it's not worth the pain. Other times, I do my duty regardless what happens. There was one time I was well within my right to refuse someone's list of caches for one of my challenges. I was patient in the dozen or so emails that followed, considering the other's point of view and explaining mine, trying to give him every chance to qualify and even reserving the FTF for him if he came up with a valid qualifying list even after someone else found the challenge. What I got for my patience and kindness were thirteen new caches placed, named "Fox Is Wrong #1", "Fox Is Wrong #2", ..., "Fox Is Wrong #9", "Fox Scat #1", ..., and "Fox Scat #4". And thus we see how well I'm liked by the major players in my own area...

I got that once and went out to check on the cache, then wrote the "finder" that "you could have used the pencil that is in the cache." And I asked him to delete his find until he went back and signed the log. He didn't delete his find but he did go back and sign the log.