Seeing a photo is NOT finding a TB!

Seth!

After geocaching for 15 years, you'd think I had seen everything. Back in the good old days, you logged a Travel Bug if you took it and moved it. Then people just started logging them out of and back into the same cache. Lame but at least they did FIND the Travel Bug. So Groundspeak created the Discovered log to at least differentiate inaction from action. It completely removes the whole purpose of the Travel Bug but whatever.

Now I am seeing Discovered log entries come through from people who merely caught a glimpse of the tracking number on the web site!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

These logs should be deleted but the ones I saw yesterday were not on my Travel Bugs. If you are doing this, please stop. It's insane. You did not find, discover, or move the Travel Bug. I can't believe that this even needs to be said.

Edited by Seth!

These users even had the exact same wording. Not sure what's up with that.

Misfit Train (TB89) on your watchlist has a new log:

• Logged by: Formiguetes

• Log Type: Discovered It

• Date: 5/9/2016

• Type: Travel Bug Dog Tag

Discovered in TB gallery, thanks for sharing.

Happy Caching.

• Logged by: Mini Furmi

Log:

Happy Caching

• Logged by: Romance Dawn

Log:

Happy Caching.

After geocaching for 15 years, you'd think I had seen everything. Back in the good old days, you logged a Travel Bug if you took it and moved it. Then people just started logging them out of and back into the same cache. Lame but at least they did FIND the Travel Bug. So Groundspeak created the Discovered log to at least differentiate inaction from action. It completely removes the whole purpose of the Travel Bug but whatever.

Now I am seeing Discovered log entries come through from people who merely caught a glimpse of the tracking number on the web site!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

These logs should be deleted but the ones I saw yesterday were not on my Travel Bugs. If you are doing this, please stop. It's insane. You did not find, discover, or move the Travel Bug. I can't believe that this even needs to be said.

You're just noticing this now?

I think that ever since stats became popular is when we noticed this kinda logging.

- That's going back a few years...

There's a lot of owners who allow, and encourage this behavior (some are regular posters here), and though at one time frowned on and "handled" by Groundspeak, now seems to be allowed.

Trackable owners are left to decide how they wanna play.

It's their property.

I agree with you. But it seems to be the way things are going.

The culture in some areas thinks armchair discoveries are normal, but I do not agree that it's the way things are going in general. Most people seem appalled by the idea.

I was surprised by the OP's statement that discovery was an added feature. I've only been caching for 5 years, but I always thought the idea of saying "I saw it in the cache but didn't take it" was a fundamental feature of TBs from the beginning. Shows what I know. I've think discovery is a useful and fun part of TBs, but I haven't noticed until now that discovery enables -- perhaps even encourages -- armchair TB logs. But even so, I see those logs as abuse of a useful feature, not proof that the feature is bad.

I take my travel bugs (tattoo, cachemobile, hiking stick, cane, name tag, didgeridoo, etc.) along with my geocoins to events where folks discover them and I can discover their trackables. I enjoy sharing views with others of our trackables and don't concern myself with how many I view or how many folks view mine. Geocaching statistics are not that important to me, but I can't judge others by my objectives.

To me it is not unlike looking over each other's stamp collection, antique cars, trivet collection, butterfly collection, or whatever . . . we are just sharing one aspect of the geocaching hobby with other like-minded cachers. Not all geocachers have the same interests in the different aspects of the hobby . . . I know cachers who "collect" only D/T 4/4 or greater caches and nothing less and others who travel all over the place to get a FTF or a very old "lonely" cache. All of us, regardless of our interests and niche within the geocaching hobby are first and foremost still considered as being geocachers.

So, each to his own, and if one wishes to move a trackable or discover it, he or she is is enjoying their one aspect of geocaching, and nobody is in a position to pass judgement on that particular interest in geocaching.

bUTCH46

Clinton, Arkansas

By the way, in my last post I was concerned with whether or not a person must always move their own travel bugs (or other trackables) or if they keep possession of them and just allow others to Discover them. I feel that discovering trackables was a good thing that allows folks to keep their own trackables, but share them with like minded cachers who enjoy viewing them.

Now, that does not mean they can keep trackables that they do not own. If one launches a trackable, it is out there to be moved, and anyone who retrieves it does not have the right to keep it, but should move it along.

Wow! "Discovering" a trackable from a photograph is not unlike saying that I attended Woodstock (the real rock one in NY back in the 1960's) because I watched the Woodstock movie, or that I've been to Tahiti because I saw pictures of it in a travel brochure. The whole concept of discovering a trackable from a picture is absurd and strikes me as being totally dishonest.

bUTCH46

I have lost all respect for the Travel Bug Log stat since I noticed people at events walking around the parking lot "discovering" trackables and others giving out lists of tracking numbers of coins or bugs that they own. With very few exceptions (trackables that I found in caches, but did not move for whatever reason) all of my trackables logged are ones I have retrieved from here and moved to there.

At an event last summer a woman was very upset to find that my name tag wasn't trackable after she went "through the trouble" of taking a picture of it.

It has become a total farce.

I don't agree with it but It doesn't bother me like most. It's a travel bug not a cache. If it were an arm chair log on a cache I'd be more upset.

When I see a discovered log like this I always think, they have the tracking number and all their doing is discovering it?

When I think of the damage they "could" do, discovering doesn't seem all that bad.

It's a side game like travel bugs themselves. As far as I can tell it doesn't hurt anything so I tend to let it slide.

Edited by justintim1999

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

I just got the new tin cup travel bug, I just activated it last week and still have it in my possession but it has already been discovered four times.

I've actually never made it past trying to understand why anyone would increase their stats. I guess I've always looked at stats as a byproduct or incidental of the hobby. Whatev's :laughing:

I don't understand stat counters like that. I've been doing this since 2011? And only have found 55. Not because I don't love it but because I'm in a wheelchair and finding easily accessible caches local when I rarely go anywhere is hard lol.

I have lost all respect for the Travel Bug Log stat since I noticed people at events walking around the parking lot "discovering" trackables and others giving out lists of tracking numbers of coins or bugs that they own. With very few exceptions (trackables that I found in caches, but did not move for whatever reason) all of my trackables logged are ones I have retrieved from here and moved to there.

At an event last summer a woman was very upset to find that my name tag wasn't trackable after she went "through the trouble" of taking a picture of it.

It has become a total farce.

I agree that trackables have gone weird. I kinda blame it on challenges - and stats.

But discovers on vehicles in the parking lot are meant to be that way.

Can't very well drop and retrieve someone's SUV.

- Well, guess you could...:laughing:

We are neew to Geocaching, and today dropped our first Travel Bug, within 30 minutes I had three e mails telling me it had been discovered in the TB Gallery. I have checked where I dropped it and according to the co-ordinates it is still there ! Surely this sort of logging should not be allowed, as this isn't what you are supposed to do with them. I am trying to get mine to USA and back, but don't want to be pestered every five minutes with people just logging it when it really hasn't moved. Is there a way you can stop this on the trackable page or do I just have to put up with it.

We are neew to Geocaching, and today dropped our first Travel Bug, within 30 minutes I had three e mails telling me it had been discovered in the TB Gallery. I have checked where I dropped it and according to the co-ordinates it is still there ! Surely this sort of logging should not be allowed, as this isn't what you are supposed to do with them. I am trying to get mine to USA and back, but don't want to be pestered every five minutes with people just logging it when it really hasn't moved. Is there a way you can stop this on the trackable page or do I just have to put up with it.

You have the private tracking code showing in the pic on your trackable's page.

You did that.

Removing the code from the pic, or removing the pic com-pletely might help, but now your trackable could be in a list, or posted on facebook like many today. :)

Well, you shouldn't have posted a picture with the tracking code visible then. :ph34r: Some think that if you can find the tracking number the TB is fair game to log.

Suggestion: remove the image ASAP and post another one without the tracking number.

You posted a photo with the secret Tracking Number in view, along with the TB's instructions to log it, and posted no info contrary to it on the TB's page. Geocachers always obey what they read on a TB, including, as we well know, the part about "Don't Keep Me" inscribed on the TB tag. :ph34r:

Remove the photo. Post the edited version if you like. Delete the logs where only the online picture of the item was "Discovered". People who announce to the world every time they see the image of a number must be tiresome to know in person.

Edited by kunarion
Some think that if you can find the tracking number the TB is fair game to log.

Suggestion: remove the image ASAP and post another one without the tracking number.

+1

Just normal geochat while walking/events tells us that more-than-some feel if the Owner posts the tracking number, it's sorta consent. :)

Can anyone quote here the official rules/guidelines about discovering a trackable? When it is allowed and when not?

Here they are:

c79b7243-815d-4d07-aacc-f0fb2bc98d89.jpg

This is inscribed on the TB. Log the Tracking Number online, as a Discovery. Honest Geocachers (is that an oxymoron? :ph34r:) would provide more info in such a log, such as "I didn't actually have the item in my possession", because otherwise, it's confusing to TB Owners to see "Discover" logs from the whole planet, while the TB is still in a cache near home. Here's just one thread about it: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=339022&view=findpost&p=5582594

Log the Tracking Number online. That's the guideline. Obviously the intent of that guideline is that the finder, regardless of where he saw the Tracking Number, would log the Tracking Number as completely and honestly as possible. And the TB Owner would post any special instructions on the TB page, and these wishes would be honored.

There is also a guideline that activated TBs are not to be stolen, nor sold against the wishes of the Owner. The TB is inscribed "Don't Keep Me", not subject to interpretation, yet interpreted as "Keep it, trash it, or sell it". So in practice there are no guidelines, but we can review them as you wish.

Edited by kunarion

And what are the official guidelines/rules for a TB-owner to accept discover logs or refuse them?

After too many "false logs", some arbitrary number, TBs have been unilaterally locked by Groundspeak, allowing no further logs. I don't know of any being unlocked once that occurs.

The guideline is that the TB Owner must manage logs, remove false logs, etc. And that TPTB have the ultimate control over TBs.

Edited by kunarion

And what are the official guidelines/rules for a TB-owner to accept discover logs or refuse them?

After too many "false logs", some arbitrary number, TBs have been unilaterally locked by Groundspeak, allowing no further logs. I don't know of any being unlocked once that occurs.

The guideline is that the TB Owner must manage logs, remove false logs, etc. And that TPTB have the ultimate control over TBs.

Where can I find these guidelines?

Can anyone quote here the official rules/guidelines about discovering a trackable? When it is allowed and when not?

Here they are:

This is inscribed on the TB. Log the Tracking Number online, as a Discovery. Honest Geocachers (is that an oxymoron? :ph34r:) would provide more info in such a log, such as "I didn't actually have the item in my possession", because otherwise, it's confusing to TB Owners to see "Discover" logs from the whole planet, while the TB is still in a cache near home. Here's just one thread about it: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=339022&view=findpost&p=5582594

Log the Tracking Number online. That's the guideline. Obviously the intent of that guideline is that the finder, regardless of where he saw the Tracking Number, would log the Tracking Number as completely and honestly as possible. And the TB Owner would post any special instructions on the TB page, and these wishes would be honored.

There is also a guideline that activated TBs are not to be stolen, nor sold against the wishes of the Owner. The TB is inscribed "Don't Keep Me", not subject to interpretation, yet interpreted as "Keep it, trash it, or sell it". So in practice there are no guidelines, but we can review them as you wish.

Are these your guidelines, or the official guidelines?

Here they are:

Are these your guidelines, or the official guidelines?

Those aren't my guidelines. They're imprinted on every official "The Travel Bug" tag, at the TB factory.

In case you missed it, I posted a photo specifically to show the text:

Edited by kunarion

Where can I find these guidelines?

Go to Groundspeak's Help Center at http://support.Groundspeak.com, where there are guidelines.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=708 (Don't log upon seeing some photo of a number as if it was a thing, also TB Owners manage their own TB logs)

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=148 (It is up to the TB Owner to delete bogus logs, also TBs aren't to be kept nor sold)

Edited by kunarion