Do I need a new gps?

We've been on a hiatus from geocaching for several years and are starting in again. Our current gps is a Magellan SporTrak and are wondering if the newer the products outweigh the age of the SporTrak and the price of a newer one.

We're considering the Garmin gpsmap 64. The most important criteria to us is accuracy. Paperless caching would be nice, but not essential.

Comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Stand by for lots of different opinions! Here's mine. You might just use your SportTrac while you "ease" back into the hobby. You are familiar with it, and it should work just fine. The downside is the cable it uses to interface with your computer. It has an old-style serial plug that not many computers have anymore. Now, if you never used the cable, that's not an issue.

I guess I would use the SporTrac and shop for a new GPS at the same time. My must-have in a new GPS is paperless geocaching - couldn't do without it anymore! Your initial choice of the Garmin is a good one, I think. But be ready for a steep learning curve because it is a new model and because it comes from a different manufacturer. I owned one of these and thought it was very accurate.

We've been on a hiatus from geocaching for several years and are starting in again. Our current gps is a Magellan SporTrak and are wondering if the newer the products outweigh the age of the SporTrak and the price of a newer one.

We're considering the Garmin gpsmap 64. The most important criteria to us is accuracy. Paperless caching would be nice, but not essential.

Thanks.

If you get at all active in geocaching, once you try paperless you will consider it as essential as your Premium membership.

Accuracy with new units will probably be better in most conditions. Whether or not that impacts cache finding is debatable. The advice above is all good.

If you do decide to buy a new unit, please take the time to look at them in person first. All of the Garmin handheld will perform the same and do all the same things. The big difference is size, screen size, resolution and input method. These are really personal choices and before jumping into one model over another, it is worth taking the time to see them in person. Do not, base your decision on anyone else's opinion.

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to go ahead and get the GPSMAP 64. (Saved a few bucks and didn't really need the electronic compass.)

I plan on checking its accuracy against my Magellan Sportrak Map and see what the difference is. Should be interesting.

Thanks again

Thanks.

I really like my $30 waterproof smartphone for caching and navigation. oops you already bought a standalone, OK, good luck!