minecraft geocache?

I would like to create a geocache that would be a puzzle cache. one can solve it online using the cache page and related websites, but I also want user to be able to solve a minecraft puzzle map to get the final coordinates.

there are two issues here:

1. can you have two ways to solve a puzzle cache?

2. minecraft is 3rd party software/you can't make a cacher download a file

assuming issue one is ok, multiple ways to solve is no issue then let's get into issue 2:

I figured if a minecraft world map would not be considered an allowed exception to the rules about file downloads, then I can also set up a minecraft server and users would simply connect to it much like they connect to a webpage and that would be no different then using any other website in a puzzle cache. it's just a domain that they connect to using the proper software they already have installed on their computer. just in this instance, instead of a web browser, it's minecraft.

Can anybody see why issue number 2 would cause any issues.....assuming issue number 1 is a non-issue.

Last discussion on the topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=289135&hl=minecraft&st=0

If I remember correctly, players still have to register in order to log in to the game, so that would also be a no go even as an "alternative".

If a finder took it upon themselves to use an alternative, then fine. But, that finder would have to come up with this on their own because i doubt GS would allow the information to be displayed on the cache page. I would think there would have to be a way to solve the puzzle that didn't require a finder to register with or download from another website.

You would also need to deal with the commercial nature of the popular Minecraft game.

how so? it's an alternative not enough, no one is being forced to play minecraft.

I think you may be referencing to the domain name. this would not link to the official minecraft website. it would not have a webpage featured at it at all. it would most likely be something like:

intrepiddyad.com/20556

users would post this into their minecraft software and connect to the server. (or they simply download a map if that could be allowed, It wouldn't have a virus or possibility for a virus i.e. it's not a usb drive others can edit)

thanks for the feedback so far.

http://forums.Ground...=minecraft&st=0

If I remember correctly, players still have to register in order to log in to the game, so that would also be a no go even as an "alternative".

for me to use my geochecker plus i have to log into my account......it's an outside website that even takes money for this service.....but it's allowed all day. I'm not sure what it matters if you have to download something and register for it....if it's not even required nor even recommended.

if i where to do this, i would simply lay out the puzzle and somewhere just put something as followed:

ALTERNATIVE PUZZLE:

minecraft: [domain name to connect written here]

it would have no other explanation nor tell you to download or create an account for anything.

for me to use my geochecker plus i have to log into my account......it's an outside website that even takes money for this service.....but it's allowed all day. I'm not sure what it matters if you have to download something and register for it....if it's not even required nor even recommended.

if i where to do this, i would simply lay out the puzzle and somewhere just put something as followed:

ALTERNATIVE PUZZLE:

it would have no other explanation nor tell you to download or create an account for anything.

Put simply, geochecker is an approved site by Groundspeak, Minecraft is not. Alternative or not, I think the commercial nature would kill the idea as Keystone pointed out. It's pretty much, no commercial products/businesses mentioned, linked or otherwise on Listing pages.

ALTERNATIVE PUZZLE:

Put simply, geochecker is an approved site by Groundspeak, Minecraft is not. Alternative or not, I think the commercial nature would kill the idea as Keystone pointed out. It's pretty much, no commercial products/businesses mentioned, linked or otherwise on Listing pages.

that's true, but i just don't see the argument for requiring people to login or commercial restrictions when you aren't even linking to the website, aren't telling anyone to buy an account or create an account, but simply providing plain text the word "minecraft" and providing a domain name only used for connecting to a minecraft world...that otherwise will not take you anywhere or tell you anything.

I think this is a fair argument. I get i can't force people to own minecraft and play it, and can't advise people to solve the puzzle this way....I'd go as far to recommend most users solve it the other way even. I just don't see how this is really breaking any rules. At least that's how i see it. what it comes down to is the minecraft route is a complete optional alternative that isn't at all promoted even how to use it. those with the knowledge and ability to do so, already has a minecraft account and are using their own account of their own free will.

geocaching says they are open to creative hides, and I have layed out my plan to obey their guidelines....i just hope that's enough.

I want to thank you for your input. it's the conversation back and forth that really brings the full concerns and issues to light surrounding this topic.