Locking a geocoin voluntarily

Droo

I have coin sitting in my drawer that gets virtually discovered like gangbusters 'coz the tracking code is one of the easiest to crack. I'm constanly deleting logs in spite of the fact the coin page lists the coin in my hands, sitting in my collection at home and that virtual logs will be deleted. But the logs keep coming... maybe it's something lost in translation 'coz the logs are typically in German.

Anyway I noticed that in the actions menu that included "mark as missing" is the action to Lock. Is this anything like the locking by GS volunteers, Lackies and moderators in that it can't be reversed or is reversible since it's owner driven? I'd hate to risk it and find out the hard way there is no return.

TIA

I have coin sitting in my drawer that gets virtually discovered like gangbusters 'coz the tracking code is one of the easiest to crack. I'm constanly deleting logs in spite of the fact the coin page lists the coin in my hands, sitting in my collection at home and that virtual logs will be deleted. But the logs keep coming... maybe it's something lost in translation 'coz the logs are typically in German.

Anyway I noticed that in the actions menu that included "mark as missing" is the action to Lock. Is this anything like the locking by GS volunteers, Lackies and moderators in that it can't be reversed or is reversible since it's owner driven? I'd hate to risk it and find out the hard way there is no return.

TIA

You can lock and unlock your trackable as you wish. :)

TIA

Yep... they snuck this in.... I discovered it one day after the the entire population of Germany discovered a few of my coins. (Ok...exagerated a bit :rolleyes: ). FINALLY!! The ability to put the brakes on! :D

TIA

Yep... they snuck this in.... I discovered it one day after the the entire population of Germany discovered a few of my coins. (Ok...exagerated a bit :rolleyes: ). FINALLY!! The ability to put the brakes on! :D

Was it sneeked through, or rode in on a bug? :unsure: Anyway, it's a great feature for trackables. B)

TIA

Was it sneeked through, or rode in on a bug? :unsure: Anyway, it's a great feature for trackables. B)

You Betcha !!.... even crafting huge red letter banners on the hi-jacked coins page that virtual logs (my coins, never in the wild, sitting in a shoe box under the bed) would be deleted did not stop a thing. Nobody reads trackable missions or blurbs anymore ... phone caching killed that.... and sorry to say well crafted descriptions of why this cache was placed or a coin mission info on its page escapes these folks.

Edited by JoenGPS

If they never had started with prefixes but used 6 random digits this whole "we guess your code" stuff would be not happening the way it is today, because a guess would be statistically rare. But when 33% of all PC-prefix codes are activated, every third guess is a hit...

There's even a German guy who seems to try all UN-prefixes to discover the 20,000 Unite For Diabetes TBs and 5,000 coins. Nobody cares to delete those logs, because they are all activated by a promotional account. And the counter goes up and up. Same thing is possible with the Jeeps.

I'm still in favor of a button where you can chose to "virtually discover all trackables". Your counter goes up to 6,500,000 discovered trackables, no actual logs entries are created, no emails sent, all icons shown in profile, and everyone could be happy. People who like to log what they really had in hand could still do their game....

"People" don't read the goals or messages on coin pages because I guess they use programs that automatically log for them - so they never see the actual coin pages...

(and some people log caches as found (and they never saw), too)

• Helpful 1
On 5/10/2016 at 3:54 PM, JoergWausW said:

If they never had started with prefixes but used 6 random digits this whole "we guess your code" stuff would be not happening the way it is today, because a guess would be statistically rare. But when 33% of all PC-prefix codes are activated, every third guess is a hit...

There's even a German guy who seems to try all UN-prefixes to discover the 20,000 Unite For Diabetes TBs and 5,000 coins. Nobody cares to delete those logs, because they are all activated by a promotional account. And the counter goes up and up. Same thing is possible with the Jeeps.

I'm still in favor of a button where you can chose to "virtually discover all trackables". Your counter goes up to 6,500,000 discovered trackables, no actual logs entries are created, no emails sent, all icons shown in profile, and everyone could be happy. People who like to log what they really had in hand could still do their game....

"People" don't read the goals or messages on coin pages because I guess they use programs that automatically log for them - so they never see the actual coin pages...

(and some people log caches as found (and they never saw), too)

Seems to me they are missing out on one of the primary side benefits of participating in geocaching, which is to foster basic moral fortitude in the form of practicing and exemplifying such traits as HONOR, HONESTY, VALOR, COURAGE, WISDOM, SPORTSMANSHIP, CREATIVITY, KNOWLEDGE, STRENGTH and much more. So much can be learned about a person, and ones self by the way they play a game. Only a FOOL cheats themselves at solitaire!

Seeker_Knight

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, JoergWausW said:

When will this feature be available?  Make it so that the 6,500,000 Stat affects only the Stats of the user who selects it.  It's a win-win!  :cute:

• Funny 1
On 5/8/2016 at 12:49 PM, Droo said:

I have coin sitting in my drawer that gets virtually discovered like gangbusters 'coz the tracking code is one of the easiest to crack.

I'm constanly deleting logs in spite of the fact the coin page lists the coin in my hands, sitting in my collection at home and that virtual logs will be deleted. But the logs keep coming... maybe it's something lost in translation 'coz the logs are typically in German.

On 5/10/2016 at 3:54 PM, JoergWausW said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think the ones logging for points were the ones playing a "game".     This has always been a hobby to me...

- But I log "virtual" trackables a lot.   :)    I spot folk's trackable codes in other's galleries (not in the owners...) and quite a few places online.

In my Discover log I explain where I saw the trackable's code.  I don't think about stats, so if you wanna delete me later, I'm fine with that. 

You don't want that, I do keep a list of people who don't want helpful messages...   

Rather than attempt to infuse some odd "traits" into people in an international hobby, giving folks straight information needed to block that code further I feel is helpful.