Can I do a hybrid multi/series?

I hope I can describe this properly, I want to have a series of nine caches that have a common theme, with a logbook in each and each one counts as an individual find.

But I also want to have fragments of the coordinates for a tenth/final cache marked on the logbooks of each stage so that once someone has found all nine they can then find the tenth, which will be a huge awesome cache in the woods.

Can I do this, by the rules, and if so how?

Are the nine listed as single caches with something in the description about the multi bonus, and/or do I list the tenth as a multi and provide links in the description to the other nine?

Or...?

Thank you!

:)

-Kris

I hope I can describe this properly, I want to have a series of nine caches that have a common theme, with a logbook in each and each one counts as an individual find.

But I also want to have fragments of the coordinates for a tenth/final cache marked on the logbooks of each stage so that once someone has found all nine they can then find the tenth, which will be a huge awesome cache in the woods.

Can I do this, by the rules, and if so how?

Are the nine listed as single caches with something in the description about the multi bonus, and/or do I list the tenth as a multi and provide links in the description to the other nine?

Or...?

Thank you!

-Kris

List each as a cache in it's own right.

The 'Final' is a 'Bonus' cache and listed as a Mystery ? cache.

Some Reviewrs aren't always keen, as if one cache goes missing, the Bonus is not able to be found...

First, get "multi" outta your head so you don't mess yourself up. :)

Individual caches with parts of coordinates to the "bonus" (mystery) are usually fine.

We've probably found a dozen or so similar that had issues at a cache.

Distant, most we never got back to hit that one, so never found the final either.

One, we were only missing the end (or feet in distance...), and were able to find the bonus with a lotta looking.

- Something to think about if maintenance might be an issue.

Good luck. :)

One way around a 'missing' cache is to duplicate the numbers in the caches.

You only need to find 6 or 7 caches to get the full set to find the final, but does give a little breathing space to replace any missing cache.

I think most cachers having found the full set of numbers, are still likely to look for the other caches, especially if it's a decent series...

We just did something like that but a lot bigger.

Total 71 caches of which 60 were 3 22Km "loops" with 16 trads holding info for 3 bonus caches. During each loop we needed to find photographs for yet another bonus. The two "plain" bonus caches had info for that loop's super bonus.

The last 11 caches were on a 11Km loop and starting coordinates had to be calculated with info from the 3*20 loops. It then took a fieldpuzzle to get to the caches. #69 and #70 were bonus caches with info for the "superbonus".

The CO had a roadbook made for this series to make it easier to make notes. In all, a great idea and perfectly organized series.

Chances are that this is not a series for everyone but it beats the classic "series with a bonus" hands down.

I personally do not enjoy "bonus caches" that require me to find every one of a series of regular caches. It's especially annoying when some of the regular caches go missing.

You might want to consider something like Shamir Secret Sharing to enable people to find the coords of the bonus cache from any subset (of a size you pick) of the regular caches. I've always thought that would be an interesting method.

Yes. I attempted a series of seven caches leading to the bonus final. The bonus final had another bonus cache. One cache in the series was broken. No info for the final, or the extra bonus. Three caches were archived. Sad, because they were good caches. But the CO was only a member for two years.

I do have two caches with a bonus. Find Mama Bear and Papa Bear, and they will tell you where to find Baby Bear.

You only need to find 6 or 7 caches to get the full set to find the final, but does give a little breathing space to replace any missing cache.

I think most cachers having found the full set of numbers, are still likely to look for the other caches, especially if it's a decent series...

Exactly - most, if not all of this type of series here have two numbers per sub-cache for this reason....

We just did something like that but a lot bigger.

Total 71 caches of which 60 were 3 22Km "loops" with 16 trads holding info for 3 bonus caches. During each loop we needed to find photographs for yet another bonus. The two "plain" bonus caches had info for that loop's super bonus.

The last 11 caches were on a 11Km loop and starting coordinates had to be calculated with info from the 3*20 loops. It then took a fieldpuzzle to get to the caches. #69 and #70 were bonus caches with info for the "superbonus".

The CO had a roadbook made for this series to make it easier to make notes. In all, a great idea and perfectly organized series.

Chances are that this is not a series for everyone but it beats the classic "series with a bonus" hands down.

The "superbonus" cache concept violates listing guidelines, so that may be why you don't see more of them, as opposed to a regular "series with a bonus."

The "superbonus" cache concept violates listing guidelines, so that may be why you don't see more of them, as opposed to a regular "series with a bonus."

A great concept, original series, fun to do, favorites.... Guidelines should never interfere with that. :ph34r: I'm just glad GBV is used over here.

We have a 18 cache series (Bison Trail) which requires finders to note a number found in each cache. The final or bonus cache requires only six numbers to complete its coordinates. If a cache goes missing (rare) or can't be found, the finders have a chance of picking up the missing number in another cache.

Why can't they all be awesome caches in the woods?

They are.

I said the tenth will be a HUGE awesome cache in the woods, the first nine are large awesome caches in the woods.

The nine are all similar size to a two-pound coffee can. The tenth is likely going to be the size of a five-gallon-bucket.

And they are all in natural recreational areas that are pretty and interesting to visit.

A major inspiration for this series is my five year old's disdain for micros and small log only caches, and I think they're pretty boring as well.

All of these are loaded with swag and FTF prizes, too. At least in my area, I'm trying to return Geocaching to the Golden Age of the 2000's where ammo cans and Tupperware outnumbered LPC's.

I've started on the the series, six are live, still working on the last four and the bonus cache.

Edited by krisandmel

Why can't they all be awesome caches in the woods?

They are.

I said the tenth will be a HUGE awesome cache in the woods, the first nine are large awesome caches in the woods.

The nine are all similar size to a two-pound coffee can. The tenth is likely going to be the size of a five-gallon-bucket.

A major inspiration for this series is my five year old's disdain for micros and small log only caches, and I think they're pretty boring as well.

All of these are loaded with swag and FTF prizes, too. At least in my area, in trying to return Geocaching to the Golden Age of the 2000's where ammo cans and Tupperware outnumbered LPC's.

Well that does sound awesome. Good luck!