Memorial Garden

When is a cemetery not a cemetery? I just found a church that has created a garden (2004) next to the church. It is expressly a memorial garden where ashes can be scattered of church members with permission. They will have bronze plaques with the names and dates.

"The fees shall be reviewed and set annually in December by the Session and Trustees. The current fee is $ 450. Once payment is made there is no obligation for any further payment. Fees will be invested in a perpetual care fund.

The fee covers:

1. scattering of ashes

2. Bronze name plate on plaque

3. recording in memorial book

4. maintenance and perpetual care of the garden

(Does not cover the usual costs or honorariums for a funeral/memorial service)'"

It certainly feels like a cemetery to me, but it is also a garden. It is a beautiful spot with flowers and bushes and benches. Seems like an interesting idea. Is this a new idea, or is it common? The church says it isn't a cemetery, but I think it is. Would this go under world wide cemeteries? Should it have a category? Has anyone else come across this?

Edited by ripraff

We have come across several locations including one at a church as you described. Scattering Gardens are becoming more common, however they are generally a part of a cemetery. When we submit a cemetery waymark that also offers a Scattering Garden it becomes a part of the cemetery submission.

These church scattering gardens should qualify in this category based on their description.

Quoted from Worldwide Cemeteries category:

Description:

"To Waymark all cemeteries and final resting place locations worldwide weather (whether) it has one Grave or Thousands"

Using the search 'scattering gardens' I came across eternal reefs. They create a structure that is put out in the sea to start a reef.

I have also run across the green burial

"Green, or natural burial is a way of caring for the dead with minimal environmental impact that aids in the conservation of natural resources, reduction of carbon emissions, protection of worker health, and the restoration and/or preservation of habitat. Green burial necessitates the use of non-toxic and biodegradable materials, such as caskets, shrouds, and urns."

Scattering gardens, eternal reefs, green burial. It feels like a category, new burial forms.

I see that worldwide cemeteries is all inclusive, but this seems like a very interesting area to explore.

Edited by ripraff

Prior to this category idea, we have researched other forms of burials and found them most intriguing.

However, this does not necessitate a separate category, which encourages cross postings into Worldwide cemeteries, and is redundant.

As you so clearly stated: "I see that worldwide cemeteries is all inclusive"

Manville Possum, so you support the idea for this new category.

While we are at it let us add this new category to the *200 categories with 100 or less approved waymarks that already exist.

Of which 66 were approved from 2009 to 2014.

So spare us the trite rebuttal of "these were created before peer review."

*The 200 category count does not include new categories approved in 2015 or 2016.)

Edited by BK-Hunters

Manville Possum, so you support the idea for this new category.

While we are at it let us add this new category to the *200 categories with 100 or less approved waymarks that already exist.

Of which 66 were approved from 2009 to 2014.

So spare us the trite rebuttal of "these were created before peer review."

*The 200 category count does not include new categories approved in 20015 or 2016.)

Yes, I find Memorial Gardens of interest. Waymarking is dead, maybe we could scatter it in a Memorial Garden? :anibad:

Really, the problem I'm seeing is not just the new lame not interesting categories, it's simply the lack of interest in Waymarking in general.

And don't forget, we can now invite all of our geocaching friends to support our ideas in peer review. :anicute:

One of the things that makes way marking interesting is the sense of time. Many of our way marks are buildings or structure from the past. One can get a sense of the way things were and how things change over time. A few categories show the way things are going, (electric car charging stations, etc.) Cemeteries are usually a connection to the past. Scattering gardens and other new forms suggest a future trend. It seems cremation is on the rise. Scattering gardens provide that bit of connection for people with names and dates of the deceased. It is also a movement away from vast areas with tombstones and toward meditation gardens. The question of category I would think, is it is interesting? So what if there are only a few entries, maybe they are hard to find. Several people don't like the commercial categories, but several of them seem to be very popular judging by the number of entries. So one criteria is, can I post numbers and keep stats up and another is, does this make me want to explore and discover? I guess another question is when there is an all encompassing category, is that the end of the story, or can smaller categories exist? One gigantic category 'way marks' could be created, then whatever you find, there would be a place to put it.

If you want to get rid of categories that didn't take off, could you create a category called wallflower and convert all the unsuccessful categories into a wallflower category. Their spaces on the grid could be reused. Anyone with a waymark in the old categories would get the new icon and category (under multifarious). Until you reuse the grid spot you could fill it with the wallflower icon.

If there are categories that should be one (same thing different countries), you could put them all into one, maybe new, maybe old category and change the icons to the new and reuse the grid spot (having the overall category fill the space until reused.)