Additional filters on map

Path Pacer

This has probably already been brought up, but it would be very useful for me to be able to screen caches by D and T on the main map. I know I can do that using the search function and specifying a location, but that isn't very helpful when I want to look over a wide area or along a route. I also know I can do a PQ for that information, but that's time consuming and I'd have to delete all the caches I don't want afterwards; that could be hundreds.

I want to be able to browse around a state or along a road looking for certain D/Ts that I might want to go get. I also want to be able to change the D/T I'm looking for quickly and easily, not have to perform a new search just because I can't find any good 2/2 caches and want to bump it up to 2/2.5.

Edited by Path Pacer

Have you looked into a the "Find caches along a route" tab in the PQ page? I think it will do exactly what you want.

That's just a specialized version of a Pocket Query. It would have the same problems as a regular PQ, in that you'd have to go back and run it again for different D/T ratings.

I don't want to do a PQ. It takes too much time and gives me too many caches I don't want. I want to be able to quickly switch between different D/T combos over a large area so I can easily pick out the ones I'm interested in. Maybe I don't want one next to an interstate, or one in the middle of a downtown area (no parking), or one in the middle of a park. I want to be able to look at a map and browse around.

I don't want to do a PQ. It takes too much time and gives me too many caches I don't want. I want to be able to quickly switch between different D/T combos over a large area so I can easily pick out the ones I'm interested in. Maybe I don't want one next to an interstate, or one in the middle of a downtown area (no parking), or one in the middle of a park. I want to be able to look at a map and browse around.

Ideally, the map (and search) would work like an online shopping interface, where you can turn filters on and off on the fly to narrow or expand your search criteria. Unfortunately, I don't think Groundspeak's servers and/or database are able to handle such an interface. I believe a database upgrade is in the cards, so hopefully once that happens they can provide better tools to get caches out of the listing database (which is the whole point of this site).

Your best bet is probably the Advanced Search. The area that can be searched is much larger than when the Advanced Search was first released, so it might be worth looking into if you haven't looked at it in a while. You can select an entire state or you can select a center point and put in a large radius (30 mile limit is gone). The problem is that the mapping only shows 1000, but that might be sufficient depending on what D/T combinations you're searching for.

...(30 mile limit is gone). The problem is that the mapping only shows 1000, but that might be sufficient depending on what D/T combinations you're searching for.

I didn't know the 30-mile limit was gone, which is good, although the 1000-limit could be a problem. I tend to start at 2/2 and revise upwards. Most of my problems have been with the range limit though, so the change is a good start. I'll try it out today. Thanks!