Congratulations Team VaxCave on Find #100!

The Leprechauns

Team VaxCave hit the century mark over the weekend in a big way, by completing The Fellowship of the Ring, one of the best-designed multicaches in the state (or anywhere, for that matter). On their journey, they also picked up smilies at nearly every other cache at Presque Isle State Park, a paradise for geocachers and ticks alike.

It has been a pleasure watching Dan and Dave develop into veteran geocachers since the days when their old GPS led to a lot of rookie not-founds. Now, it seems there is no challenge too great. They routinely beat me to find the new caches, like the standard they set by doing Grand Theft Auto as a night cache. Yep, they're a little crazy, too.

It's a blast caching with you guys and I hope we can do another group hunt soon. If it weren't for this great sport, I doubt if you'd have any good reason to associate with a middle aged bald bank lawyer and I think it's pretty cool how geocaching brings us all together.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

icon_smile.gif

Yes, we left Pittsburgh on Friday night with 92 finds and returned with 108 (109 really). We hit some caches in Emlenton and all of the Presque Isle caches (except the on that is temp archived). I haven't posted the CITO one yet as I am still digging through the more than 200 pictures that we took. We had a great time on Presque Isle. Doing the Fellowship of the Ring multicache and the Multipurpose Trail multicache was a realy challenge. Between the two of them they had 19 waypoints. Yikes.

Dan and I really jelled as a team on this trip in being able to cover about 23 miles (according to our Garmins) on foot, bike, and car. We started the day by biking almost 13 miles to and from the different multicache waypoints, but around 5pm we realized that the LOTR cache was bouncing us back and forth and the sun was quickly going down. Presque Isle closes at dusk for those who haven't visited. This was when we decided that loading the bikes and going to the rest with the car was the only way to go. As it turns out on Presque Isle the only trail that allows bikes is the multi-purpose trail. All the LOTR stages were far off the MP trail. It was quite an interesting day of satellite maps, topo maps, trail maps, cache printouts, and Power Bars.

Thanks to Lep for suggesting the Multipurpose Trail and spawning our interest in having Presque Isle hold our #100. We had to do the LOTR cache as #100 since I am a total geek. I looked funny sitting in the woods with my red leather bound version of the books. I'll be sure to have a post on our website with details and pictures from the whole escapade.

Thanks to everyone for their support and keeping us in this game. I had a rough start with that Magellan 300 and it was only the encouragement of the community that kept me in. Hooking my brother into it was easy. Keeping my wife involved is harder since she isn't obsessed like the two of us. We'll see what the next 5 months bring for Team VaxCave. Our first find with the GPS (and not dumb luck / searching) was on 4/6/2003 (Schenley1), a cache operated by who else? Lep.

Thanks again everyone. icon_smile.gif

::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::

Searching through the cave. Team VaxCave.

87743_200.jpg

[This message was edited by Team VaxCave on September 25, 2003 at 09:22 AM.]