Garmin 20x maps driving directions

I am considering the purchase of a Garmin etrex 20x. I've searched but apparently not well enough.

I'm wondering if it comes with maps that will include driving directions to a cache. If not, what will I need to purchase to get those- if it's possible.

Thanks.

None of the Etrex models (10,20x,30x) have routable maps. They only have "base maps" which show minimal information. There are several sources for legal, free routable road maps. Here are my favorites:

garmin.openstreetmap.nl You can select the area you want to look at, up to some limit

gpsfiledepot.com Lots of different kinds of maps (road, topo, tranparencies)

openmapchest.org Download the entire US

extract.bbbike.org Lots of different styles, and you can select the area you need

You can add maps to your GPSr in one of two ways. The easiest way is to download a complete map set and load it directly to a micro SD memory card in a file you will call "Garmin." The name of these maps is called gmapsupp.img. This is the common file name your garmin device recognizes as a supplemental map. openmapchest.org is a good resource for these files.

The other way to load maps is through Garmins free map management software called Basecamp. It has a steep learning curve. I use an older Garmin program called MapSource which is easier to learn and works well for me. The advantage to using these programs is that you can see the actual maps on your computer screen before you load them to your GPSr. You can also build routes, place waypoints, and research points of interest. One other advantage is you can load only the regions of maps you need, not the whole 2-3 gigabyte map. gpsfiledepot has a tutorial on how to load maps this way.

The process may sound daunting, but it's rewarding to find new maps that give you more or different display information. I stopped using Garmin's paid maps years ago. The free maps offer the same accuracy, more information, and are often more up to date. Just my opinion.