The Two Towers

Salvelinus

Saw the debut show last night. The battle scenes were incredible...gave me chills!

My only complaint was that it diverged from the book a bit too much. Then again, I'm a purist and Hollywood isn't! Still well worth seeing even if your not a fan.

The real reason for this post is to ask Mikechim when the Two Towers cache will be available. I need an excuse to get up there steelhead fishing and to sign that quilt!

Mike?

Salvelinus

(formerly smoochnme)

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

I just saw the Two Towers on Thursday night, movie started at 10:30 PM. It was awsome.

But I agree, there were a number of things that were missing but then, I am sure if it would have been up to Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Ring fans like us, the moovie would have been at least twice as long, unfortunately they need to finance it so it has to be lailored to the liking of the general public icon_frown.gif

I just recently got the extendet version of the Fellowship on DVD and have to say that it is worth to buy a DVD plaier and the 4 DVD set just to watch that extendet version. It is soo much better than the original movie. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

quote:
Originally posted by eagleflyby:

I just recently got the extendet version of the Fellowship on DVD and have to say that it is worth to buy a DVD plaier and the 4 DVD set just to watch that extendet version.

Heck, it's worth it just to see that special feature on how they made the hobbits look so small.

ApK

Hey! I saw the movie just before Christmas. I thought that Gollum was spectacular.....but in the book he avoided the sunlight and in the movie...he was always hiking in it (hey perhaps that's the reason for the bulging eyes...or maybe it was a thyroid problem)

I really didn't like the way they treated the ents but overall it was well worth going to it...going again today with Butterfly girl and a geocacher wanna be...she couldn't get her husband to buy her a GPS for Christmas.....

I worked up the tolkien quilt.....just had to see how it would look finished.....and then tweeked it a bit so that it made a great couch quilt.....looks nice icon_smile.gif

Eversure son is having his 13th bday party today..then off to the movies...at least this time I'll be able to go for more popcorn!

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

The real reason for this post is to ask Mikechim when the Two Towers cache will be available. I need an excuse to get up there steelhead fishing and to sign that quilt!

Mike?

Salvelinus

(formerly smoochnme)

Salvelinus

Sorry I took so long to respond (though I am honored people are anticipating the Two Towers), though as you've probably guessed by now I've been away from the scene for awhile (grad apps and interviews tend to suck loads of free time). I plan on getting the Two Towers out once it warms up a bit. Unfortunately I haven't found a place I really like for it yet, last year I had the luxury of a snowless December to plan it, this year who knows when it will be clear enough to find good hiding places. Any suggestions would be welcome for a good hiding area as well (I've already got the location for The Return of the King chosen). I wanted something similiar to Presque Isle, miles of seperate trails, relatively easy terrain so all fitness levels can hike it, and nice scenery. I was thinking maybe pymatuming (sp), or Goddard state parks. Though don't worry the cache WILL BE PLACED.

As far as the movie goes I absolutely hated it the first time I saw it and left the theater disgusted at the blasphemy I had witnessed (before I go off on a Tolkien Purist rant I'll just say Faramir, Ents, Elves at Helm's Deep (that I might have let slide), and Eomer (once again may have let slide), anyway I was expecting some changes (the fellowship had taught me to expect that) but the last half of the movie was just horrible.

However, I will admit the second time I saw the movie I enjoyed it, as a movie it's a great piece of filmaking, as a representation of the books it's severly lacking.

Anyway back to caching, I'm planning on making the Two Towers a little tougher question wise. But never fear it will be placed, my current guess is end of march beginning of April (once again depends on when the ground will be clear enough).

Mike

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Thanks for the update! It was about a year ago that I found the Fellowship cache. This year, I don't think I could of even made it there with all the snow! I am anticipating the Two Towers cache. Keep in in the Northwest so I can also visit Buffalo and the Bag-End cache on the same trip.

I agree the movie didn't do the book justice. Heck, the movie even ended before the end of the book! But it was entertaining. I did like the Cinamatography.

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Any decent yet cheap hotels in the area? I may take a weekend trip up there just to try this one!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Hi Rygel,

Depends on what you mean by cheap, there are plenty of nice hotels available right now for $39 or $40 a night (ie ramada inn, days inn, any chain, etc.). Depending on when you come it may be a bit more expensive (summer weekends are more) however, there are several non franchise hotels that usually stay around $40. The only one I can personally vouch for is the Tally Ho-tel. Friends of mine often stay there when they are in town and it's nice enough. Plus since your dealing with the owner you can bargain a bit and get a deal. So depending on when your coming I'd either go with a chain hotel or something like the tally ho. Here's a link for you to hotels in the area http://www.visiteriepa.com/hotels_and_motels.shtml

And might I suggest coming up during the presque isle geocaching get together on May 24 that the NWPA geocaching group is putting on.

Hopefully by then I'll have the Two Towers out as well, though it will probably be an hour or so drive from Erie, unless I find somewhere closer to place it.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I am looking forward to the cache series. I would have tried my hand at the Fellowship of the Ring cache already, but I have it earmarked for a weekend one of my college buddies comes out to visit from Indiana.

He wants to try his hand at Geocaching, and since we are both big Tolkien fans, your cache offers an ideal opportunity.

Also, if you are still looking for a location for the Two Towers, you may want to consider scouting Crawford county. icon_smile.gif