Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive

ski

We are taking a mini vacation with our 6 year old down to the Roanoke VA area this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for some regular caches or virtuals along the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive that are family friendly?

I was just at skyline drive this past weekend... I found Stony Man Cache...very family friendly hike except children should be carefully watched near the view! (cliffs) I wanted to do Mary's rock "at the rock" cache but it was pouring rain on monday so we left the park(wusses, I know)

My favorite is the Viking Treasure Cave cache. As you probably know Skyline Drive is part of Shenandoah National Park, so traditional caches are not allowed. This cache however is on private land within the park. A nice hike involves taking the trail to Dark Hollow Falls and then back up to the area where the cache is located. The shorter trip uses a fire road from near the Fisher's Gap Overlook.

Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges -- Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!

- Rudyard Kipling "The Explorer"