New Category Idea: Constants in Coordinates

We had lots of fun doing coordinate games. It is interesting to see, what is at places with special coordinates.

Our idea: To find a location on the planet where the digits of the coordinates are equal to the first digits in the scientific constant.

There are lots of constants, using in math or physics. That means, everywhere on earth you can find places with these special coordinates.

Here some examples:

You know pi=3.1415

So we are looking for:

N 31° 41.598 or

N 23° 14.159 or

N 05° 31.415

First 5 digits of pi are in the coordinate.

But perhaps you like to increase the difficulty and find a place with:

N 31° 41.592 – E 027° 18.281

with pi= 3.141592 and

e=2.718281 (Euler's Number)

Here are 7 digits of pi and 7 digits of e in the coordinates.

What do you think of that idea?

We had lots of fun doing coordinate games. It is interesting to see, what is at places with special coordinates.

Well, that place is in the Mediterranean Ocean, so it’s hard to visit! West turns out in the Atlantic Ocean. South looks to be in South Africa. Then there’s swapping the latitude and longitude. Surely, some will show up on land.

It sounds like you’re open to other Math Constants? Golden Ratio, Square Root of 2… ? Let people pick their constants and tell you which ones they found in their waymark posting? It could get pretty bizarre. :unsure::blink:

I’m guessing Coordinate Palindromes wasn’t challenging enough? They are easy to verify, because you can just eyeball them. Plus they have an interesting pattern on the earth. :) Constants would be more challenging and not have any interesting patterns. :(

IOW, I’m kind of mixed on the idea. I’d probably go find one and be done with the category.

Our idea: To find a location on the planet where the digits of the coordinates are equal to the first digits in the scientific constant.

There are lots of constants, using in math or physics. That means, everywhere on earth you can find places with these special coordinates.

Here some examples:

You know pi=3.1415

So we are looking for:

N 31° 41.598 or

N 23° 14.159 or

N 05° 31.415

First 5 digits of pi are in the coordinate.

with pi= 3.141592 and

e=2.718281 (Euler's Number)

Here are 7 digits of pi and 7 digits of e in the coordinates.

I have a cache hidden there, except I rounded up.

Well, that place is in the Mediterranean Ocean, so it’s hard to visit! West turns out in the Atlantic Ocean. South looks to be in South Africa. Then there’s swapping the latitude and longitude. Surely, some will show up on land.

It sounds like you’re open to other Math Constants? Golden Ratio, Square Root of 2… ? Let people pick their constants and tell you which ones they found in their waymark posting? It could get pretty bizarre. :unsure::blink:

I’m guessing Coordinate Palindromes wasn’t challenging enough? They are easy to verify, because you can just eyeball them. Plus they have an interesting pattern on the earth. :) Constants would be more challenging and not have any interesting patterns. :(

IOW, I’m kind of mixed on the idea. I’d probably go find one and be done with the category.

You are looking for the most difficult one.

What do you think of N 31° 41.592 – E 012° 71.828 which is easier.

It is a kind of challenge...

I think, 5 digits are minimum.

And N 50° 31.415 is easy.

Edited by CADS11

As I wrote, not only math constants are allowed, all scientific constants.

Here some more examples:

g=Newtonian constant of gravitation (6.6740831)

e=elementary charge (1.6021765)

me=electron mass (9.1093829)

pi=Archimedes' constant (3.1415926)

e=Euler's number (2.7182818)

h=Planck constant (6.6260700)

c=speed of light (299 792 458)

@DougK: square root of 2 is not in my mind.

If square root of 2 is allowed, what's about square root of 3?

Or the third root of 2 ...

CADS11

Edited by CADS11
Fine, so please go ahead and publish one.

It's not that easy. This forum is for new category ideas. CADS11 can't publish a Waymark. He can just create one which get published by a category officer if the Waymark fits the category requirements. But first the new category needs to be written and must pass the peer review to get active. CADS11 did the right thing posting his idea here in this forum part.

I don't like the idea, it's too complicated.

It can be fun to find such a coordinate and go there and record the location. Once. Maybe twice. But then it gets boring. And I don't think it can be interesting to visit a location someone else has posted.

So it lacks two of the main aspects that make a category successful.

But there is already a category that is a good home for ideas like yours: Photo goals.

What about a task to find a Scientific Constant Coordinate and make a picture there that is related to that constant? Like drawing a circle in the sand at a pi coordinate or holding a flashlight at a c coordinate. This could be fun, but a complete category is not the greatest idea.

Edited by fi67

Complication? How about that goofy ISS siting category! Doesn't take me to any new interesting place on this earth.

However, I agree that these games, in my opinion, don't fit into the general idea of Waymarking -- to take one to a place worth seeing something that they probably have not seen before. Coordinates in themselves don't seem to be "a something worth seeing". All the other categories (except those goofy start-up categories with all the restaurants and businesses that would not pass review these days) do fit the idea of "something worth seeing".

Complication? How about that goofy ISS siting category! Doesn't take me to any new interesting place on this earth.

I do find that category interesting... however I have been unsuccessful in finding another player so we can log it. :(

It has to be lack of community, cause Waymarking has lot's of goofy categories. How about a trifecta at a McDonald's pay phone with Kilroy was here grafitti? Anyone? :lol:

I do find that category interesting... however I have been unsuccessful in finding another player so we can log it. :(

It has to be lack of community, cause Waymarking has lot's of goofy categories. How about a trifecta at a McDonald's pay phone with Kilroy was here grafitti? Anyone? :lol:

But only if you order a large fry and throw them away without eating any (just try it!). Yeah, I don't look at this site as a gaming site. Perhaps someone should start a different site for GPSr games...

But only if you order a large fry and throw them away without eating any (just try it!). Yeah, I don't look at this site as a gaming site. Perhaps someone should start a different site for GPSr games...

How about a new category for drive-through windows, or does that already exist? :) What next, space invader gang tag graffiti? :grin:

Perhaps someone should start a different site for GPSr games...

So as I read through this thread I was thinking - this would be a lame category. but a perfect locationless cache! Naw, not going to say it. Then I saw what MountainWoods wrote, and couldn't resist. Someone did start a different site for GPSr games (there's a bunch actually), and at least a few allow locationless caches.

Waymarks work best for fixed items (natural or manmade) in permanent locations (IMO). What the OP describes sounds to me like a fun locationless cache.

Edited by Bon Echo

So as I read through this thread I was thinking - this would be a lame category. but a perfect locationless cache! Naw, not going to say it. Then I saw what MountainWoods wrote, and couldn't resist. Someone did start a different site for GPSr games (there's a bunch actually), and at least a few allow locationless caches.

Waymarks work best for fixed items (natural or manmade) in permanent locations (IMO). What the OP describes sounds to me like a fun locationless cache.

Yep. I did think of the split of WM from GC.

And now we seem to keep asking Waymarking to handle categories for things that (again, IMO) aren't really what it was created for. I believe there are other sites for other GPSr games. Not worth polluting Waymarking with things that belong elsewhere rather than here. Anyway, I think a few of us agree on that point. (Not sure I've convinced everyone -- but I've had my say.)

Yep. I did think of the split of WM from GC.

And now we seem to keep asking Waymarking to handle categories for things that (again, IMO) aren't really what it was created for. I believe there are other sites for other GPSr games. Not worth polluting Waymarking with things that belong elsewhere rather than here. Anyway, I think a few of us agree on that point. (Not sure I've convinced everyone -- but I've had my say.)

I'm in agreement with you. :rolleyes:

So if they pay a PM they are allowed to screw up a hobby that they don't care about?

Makes no sense to me.

That's the way it works. Makes no sense to me either, but we all know geocachers and their PM's support this site, it's not our Waymarking $'s that keep it adrift.

And really, how is it messing up this hobby by allowing new categories that most Waymarkers are not interested in? :unsure:

Does this new game category in peer review already have a devoted third party web site like the Space Invaders one did?

So if they pay a PM they are allowed to screw up a hobby that they don't care about?

Makes no sense to me.

That's the way it works. Makes no sense to me either, but we all know geocachers and their PM's support this site, it's not our Waymarking $'s that keep it adrift.

And really, how is it messing up this hobby by allowing new categories that most Waymarkers are not interested in? :unsure:

Does this new game category in peer review already have a devoted third party web site like the Space Invaders one did?

The mess is already there. We have learned to live with it and we can even appreciate it because it is a sure sign that there is room for a lot of different ways to play the game. But there is also room to say Nay if the idea does not fit the spirit of the game, the spirit of MY game. And there is room to say Yea, if it fits the spirit of YOUR game. And then we'll see. That is also part of the game. But is difficult to appreciate the vote of people who have only a vague idea at best about the game. Fortunately, those people have not decided any vote yet and I don't expect it to happen in the future.

Devoted third party web sites are a good thing for a category, in general. They are proof, that there are people interested in a topic outside of Waymarking, and it's not a "I want to have a category, now I need an idea" thing.

Edited by fi67

Makes no sense to me.

The mess is already there. We have learned to live with it and we can even appreciate it because it is a sure sign that there is room for a lot of different ways to play the game. But there is also room to say Nay if the idea does not fit the spirit of the game, the spirit of MY game. And there is room to say Yea, if it fits the spirit of YOUR game. And then we'll see. That is also part of the game. But is difficult to appreciate the vote of people who have only a vague idea at best about the game. Fortunately, those people have not decided any vote yet and I don't expect it to happen in the future.

Devoted third party web sites are a good thing for a category, in general. They are proof, that there are people interested in a topic outside of Waymarking, and it's not a "I want to have a category, now I need an idea" thing.

You ask "Does this new game category in peer review already have a devoted third party web site?" Yes it does. There is a website devoted to games using the GPS. It is http://gpsgames.org/ The GPSgames.org is an online community dedicated to all kinds of games involving the use of Global Positioning System receivers. This category would fit on that website designed for those who like playing numbers games.