Bug when using search filter "notes"

Jiver78

I announced it already half a year ago:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=338747&st=0&p=5618720&fromsearch=1entry5618720

And it still appears regularly:

I search for caches with an individual note and caches appear in the result list which *had* a personal note, but that was deletet long time (months) ago.

Interestingly for all caches shown, notes were added end september / begin of october 2016.

After adding a new note and deleting it again, the caches disappear in the list of results.

Edited by Jiver78

Today: a search for my caches with a personal note.

The result shows 106 Caches.
Nearly all of them had a personal note once, but deleted weeks to months ago.
All others had a note that is already deleted. Weeks to monthes ago.

(I use the personal note to add comments while I'm on tour. At home all notes are copied to GSAK and deleted on GC.com)

I can confirm that the issue exists when I spoof log in as you and run the query. I can also confirm that the issue goes away when I add a new note to these caches and then delete it.

What method are you using to add these notes and delete them? Are you using the API, or making the changes via the web?

add:
I added and deleted new notes in some of the "false positive" listed caches yesterday, so they weren't listed in the results anymore.
Today this caches are back in the list...

Am I the only one with this bug?

Working with GSAK, Win10 and Firefox. But notes I only edit via the website.

Edited by Jiver78

I can confirm this bug. Searching for "with personal note" found also caches with a "empty" personal note, that I have delete before. The most I have delete a year ago. I tested it today, when I set a personal note in the WebUI, after a few seconds I can found this cache, when I'm searching "with personal note". When I delete the note, after a few seconds it will be found again. After a few minutes, it will not be found. But when I filter to "with personal note" and the cachetype, it will be found again. And after this it will be found also when only search for "with personal note".

Still problems? It seems like deleting the Personal Cache Note on a cache page doesn't change it to an empty state. When filtering caches which have a Personal Cache Note it also returns caches with Personal Cache Notes I've previously deleted. I'm using Edge on Windows 10. As an example GC7GWR1. I deleted the Personal Cache Note a month ago.

Oh, I missed the second birthday of reproting this bug....

Actually I have about 100 caches with deleted personal note, that are still found when searching caches with the filter "has a individual note"... but it looks like nobody at Groundspeak cares

Addendum: looks like the old "workaround" works: adding a new text to the empty note and deleting it again. I will check this tomorrow again. But I'm not willing to do that with 100 caches...

Edited by Jiver78
addendum

And even with the new API this problem still exists, Hey guys at Groundspeak, what's going on with this problem? You are not able to solve this problem ?

I realized that it happens with a lot of changed notes (>10.000). When I checked it with an account that has only about 1.000 changed notes, the problem does not appear.

I wouldn't have thought this would be a big deal to sort out. As far as fixing the root cause, I wouldn't expect it to take long to figure out which piece of code is failing to clear the flag (it should be in the part dealing with the note deletion). Once that's dealt with, a script doing something like the following could clear up all of the existing instances of the issue:

if($hasNote AND $noteContents == NULL){
	$hasNote = FALSE;
}

I guess the devs have been tasked to work on new features like the new map/search rather than deal with longstanding issues with existing features like this.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1