Blueberries

Waterboy

While hiking/caching this Independence Day we checked the future blueberry crop. The weather this springs will bring the crop in a little late, but it will be a bumper crop. Berries should be extremely large and juicy.

RECOMMENDATION – When picking blueberries this year wear steel-toed safety boots to protect feet from accidental droppage.

I picked up a blueberry bush driving out of Wharton a few months ago. The thing has at least doubled in size already.

The guy told me to pick off the buds this year. Next year he promised a bountiful harvest!

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Was out today and came across blackberries....(ummmmmm good). They were still small but tasty (and we didn't even wait to put them on vanilla ice cream).

What a great time of year - berries in the woods and veggies starting to mature in the garden (I don't think any of the snap-peas we've picked have even made it into the house!).

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves.

Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I'm glad the blackberries are doing well. My basil is still 3 inches high (should be a bush by now).

Once blueberry season hits, try the area around GC3 near Terrace Pond. We waded through several

miles of the bushes on the way!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Hello all, new GeoCacher here. This reminds me of a funny story from a backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail in Maine. We we climbing a mountain (I believe it was Saddleback, but memory is hazy) to watch the Perceids meteor shower from a bald with a 360 degree view. The trail to the top was long and there were several false summits on the way up. We were tired and slowing down more and more when sudfdenly my friend yells "BLUEBERRIES!" and dived nearly face first into the blueberry patch! It was so unexpected that I suddenly burst out laughing and couldn't stop. We still laugh about this to this day. All I have to do is say BLUEBERRIES! icon_biggrin.gif and we both chuckle!

Buzz Lightfoot

Pike County, PA

Blackberrries already?

I was caching 7/6 and came across some bushes that looked like would need 2-3 more weeks.

I have knowledge of 3-4 different locations now, thanks to geocaching...

I should probably write down the coordinates before I forget, but right now I still remember which caches they were at.

Blackberry cobbler, blackberries on vanilla ice cream...

Can't Wait!!!

Don't forget to try some of the Wine Berries...they have fuzzy red stems, and hide their fruit in green covers until popping out like soft, bright red,wonderful berries...they like open shade and well drained soil...they are the best of the wild berries! I have managed to get 4 plants moved down here from our old farm in Ironia, and just had my first two berries last night. Yummm. And if anyone wants Blackberries, I have about 50 acres of them here in KY...and they are ready to pick now....Happy Geoforaging/eating. David

Is there anything that LOOKS like blueberries but is in fact something else (and not safe to eat)? Cause we found a cool blueberry site today but the leaves don't look the same as the leaves pictured above...

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

My kids were out playing in the yard a few days ago and came inside with their hands full of blueberries from our yard. We just moved here last summer from SoCal and I had NO idea we had them out there! After a quick check with the neighbors to make sure they were indeed blueberries, we made a plate full of BB pancakes and some BB muffins to share. YUMMY!

Since I was going to be driving the dirt forest roads of Bald Eagle State Forest, in scouting for a Multi-cache, I figured I thorw in some containers for Blueberries!!!

HELLO>>>>>>>>>>>> Can you say GREEN!, and TINY! I would say it's going to be close to a month before these babies are ready.....And I was looking forward to Fresh Blueberries.

OH Well, By the time this cache(Shake, Rattle and Roll ) gets approved the BlueBerries should be ripe, and that will give you folks another reason to do the cache.

HELLO>>>>>>>>>>>> Can you say GREEN!, and TINY! I would say it's going to be close to a month before these babies are ready.....And I was looking forward to Fresh Blueberries.

Depends on where you are I guess. I was in Ramapo Mtn SF on Wed and they were about 20 percent ripe already. The ones that were ripe were incredibly sweet for wild blueberries. I usually find them to be very tart, but these were as sweet as farm raised berries. I don't know if it's the location, the weather, the variety, or what, but they were sure good.

Depends on where you are I guess. I was in Ramapo Mtn SF on Wed and they were about 20 percent ripe already. The ones that were ripe were incredibly sweet for wild blueberries. I usually find them to be very tart, but these were as sweet as farm raised berries. I don't know if it's the location, the weather, the variety, or what, but they were sure good.

Or maybe a hyper-glycemic bear was having some fun with you! <_<

Hey Boo-Boo! Mmm.. Smukers! <_<