Solved Mystery Caches, can I ...

McChunk83

I was wondering if there's a way to change the location of the Mystery Cache Icon on the geomap once it's solved. I have put in the solved coordinates (I've tried it both from the Iphone App and from the website), however, if I select a different cache, the Mystery icon remains where the original coordinates are, and not at the solved location. This is simply because I tend to solve a lot of mystery caches and not pick them up right away, however, when planning cache outings, it's pretty hard when I don't remember where the solved locations are, and which mystery cache they're associated to.

Thanks in advance !!

McC.

Have you actually logged the find? If so then it should show a Smiley. :)

No, I didn't log it. That's not really what I'm asking. I'm just saying that sometimes a mystery cache logo is 5 kilometers or more away from where the actual solved location is, but is there a way to make the mystery cache logo (that's on the map) move to the solved location.

I usually solve a bunch on the weekdays, then trek out to find them on the weekend. I could be in an area, picking up traditional caches, but there's also a solved mystery cache in that same area, however unless I remember which specific solved mystery cache has the solved location there, I might miss it and have to return specifically for that one.

is there a way to make the mystery cache logo (that's on the map) move to the solved location

No, not that I'm aware of.

Seen that a couple have changed color of smileys (for DNF) and things on the map, so maybe a tech head writing code can do it?

Once I solve a puzzle, I go to the (old) search page and type in the coordinates.

That kinda gives me a rough idea of location, by caches nearest, and figure out what caches to grab along with it on the map.

I was wondering if there's a way to change the location of the Mystery Cache Icon on the geomap once it's solved. I have put in the solved coordinates (I've tried it both from the Iphone App and from the website), however, if I select a different cache, the Mystery icon remains where the original coordinates are, and not at the solved location. This is simply because I tend to solve a lot of mystery caches and not pick them up right away, however, when planning cache outings, it's pretty hard when I don't remember where the solved locations are, and which mystery cache they're associated to.

Thanks in advance !!

McC.

Create a Bookmark list of your solved puzzle/mystery caches and then create a Pocket Query from the list. When you view the map of the PQ, they will show up at the correct location. This is on the website, I don't know anything about the app.

Thanks in advance !!

McC.

Create a Bookmark list of your solved puzzle/mystery caches and then create a Pocket Query from the list. When you view the map of the PQ, they will show up at the correct location. This is on the website, I don't know anything about the app.

I never knew about that before. Thanks!

Mystery caches will appear on the larger overall map if using the Search function for an area. Of course, this presumes that the listed coords have been corrected in the cache listings.

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

Mystery caches will appear on the larger overall map if using the Search function for an area. Of course, this presumes that the listed coords have been corrected in the cache listings.

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city -> Search -> Map These Results -- Mystery question marks appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Play -> View Geocache Map -- Mystery question marks appear at the original 'listed' coords.

OMG, this is exactly what I was looking for ! Thank you

This should really be the standard. if i have entered the corrected coordinates it should reflect the cacheposition all over, both online and the app.

I would like that. But it needs to be be more than just moving the "?" icon. The App or map must indicate that this is an updated location (maybe with a "puzzle solved" icon as in the search list). There are a bunch of caches that I just plain could not remember if the puzzle was solved or not, or if the icon is in its original or "solved" place. Maybe when "Personal Cache Notes" get added, that will help. Or I could use an upgraded memory. :anibad:

There's a similar issue with a handheld GPSr, where solved caches are correctly moved when using Pocket Queries. But some icons are at their unsolved coords, some I've solved. It's not immediately clear which is which. Until a fancier system is developed, all cachers must keep better notes. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

This should really be the standard. if i have entered the corrected coordinates it should reflect the cacheposition all over, both online and the app.

I would like that. But it needs to be be more than just moving the "?" icon. The App or map must indicate that this is an updated location (maybe with a "puzzle solved" icon as in the search list).

The new norm for altering images here on geocaching.com appears to be keeping existing icons but adding a yellow dot. Perhaps that could be done with the big blue question mark.

I would like that. But it needs to be be more than just moving the "?" icon. The App or map must indicate that this is an updated location (maybe with a "puzzle solved" icon as in the search list). There are a bunch of caches that I just plain could not remember if the puzzle was solved or not, or if the icon is in its original or "solved" place. Maybe when "Personal Cache Notes" get added, that will help. Or I could use an upgraded memory. :anibad:

There's a similar issue with a handheld GPSr, where solved caches are correctly moved when using Pocket Queries. But some icons are at their unsolved coords, some I've solved. It's not immediately clear which is which. Until a fancier system is developed, all cachers must keep better notes. :anicute:

I agree. If there isn't a way to distinguish between caches on a map that have been solved and those that haven't been solved then showing the updated locations isn't all that useful (unless one remembers every puzzle cache they have solved). Displaying solved and unsolved (has corrected coordinates) caches using different icons is one way to do that. Another would be to filter caches on whether the caches has the corrected coordinates flag is set. The ability to hide puzzle caches that don't have corrected coordinates would be quite useful.

I agree. If there isn't a way to distinguish between caches on a map that have been solved and those that haven't been solved then showing the updated locations isn't all that useful (unless one remembers every puzzle cache they have solved). Displaying solved and unsolved (has corrected coordinates) caches using different icons is one way to do that. Another would be to filter caches on whether the caches has the corrected coordinates flag is set. The ability to hide puzzle caches that don't have corrected coordinates would be quite useful.

If you put the solved caches on a list, like I have a list of "Solved puzzles", you can create a pocket query or use this list in the app.

In that case you won't see the unsolved caches, but you can still see challenge-caches with no corrected coordinates.

But they have to be on the map with the corrected coordinates (if they are corrected)

Another would be to filter caches on whether the caches has the corrected coordinates flag is set. The ability to hide puzzle caches that don't have corrected coordinates would be quite useful.
This could work, as long as it is possible to enter the posted coordinates as "corrected coordinates" for challenge caches and on-site puzzles. My current approach is to bookmark mystery/puzzle caches that I'm ready to search for. This includes solved puzzles, of course, and the bookmark list is named "solved unfound puzzles". But it also includes challenge caches that I've qualified for, and on-site puzzles that I don't need to enter corrected coordinates for.
Another would be to filter caches on whether the caches has the corrected coordinates flag is set. The ability to hide puzzle caches that don't have corrected coordinates would be quite useful.
This could work, as long as it is possible to enter the posted coordinates as "corrected coordinates" for challenge caches and on-site puzzles. My current approach is to bookmark mystery/puzzle caches that I'm ready to search for. This includes solved puzzles, of course, and the bookmark list is named "solved unfound puzzles". But it also includes challenge caches that I've qualified for, and on-site puzzles that I don't need to enter corrected coordinates for.

I just checked and it looks like one can enter the published coordinates for a cache as the corrected coordinates.

I know that we can create lists of caches using all sorts of criteria, but a filter on the maps (both on the web site and in the app) which allows one to exclude mystery caches that don't have corrected coordinates would mean that a bookmark list wouldn't be necessary. One of major pieces of the "new" search that is still missing is when showing search results on the map. Along time ago one of the lackeys indicated that there were still some issues with the "sidebar" on the map (which allows one to create a PQ from the map) and some of the new filters (e.g. favorite points, has corrected coordinates). It would be nice if that were fixed.

My current approach is to bookmark mystery/puzzle caches that I'm ready to search for. This includes solved puzzles, of course, and the bookmark list is named "solved unfound puzzles". But it also includes challenge caches that I've qualified for, and on-site puzzles that I don't need to enter corrected coordinates for.

This is exactly what I do. Solved puzzles, field puzzles, completed challenges, etc go into a "Solved Coordinates" list. I exclude mystery caches from any PQ I create for geographic areas. The only mystery cache icons on my GPSr are those from my "Solved Coordinates" list PQ. Periodically, I'll scroll through my Solved list and delete found caches from the list, which are easy to identify because of the smiley and dark grey background of found caches.

Cachly puts the pin at the corrected coords and the pin is marked with a red triangle. That way you know exactly which cache has changed coords or not. If it's blue it's not "solved". Blue with red triangle means I corrected the coords and can navigate right to that point. The best $5.00 I've ever spent on geocaching. Unfortunately it is currently limited to iOS for the time being.

Searching by caches with corrected coords then mapping them is a great tool on the web site which I use heavily but unfortunately is not available on the free official app. You would need to remember which are solved or not. This was also the case on the old app as well. Again, why I prefer Cachly.