Geographically incorrect data on cache page.

I don't understand the ones that say " when you reach GZ look to your right" well that would depend on which directions you came in or if you are standing in front or behind GZ :unsure:

Yep. There was parking for an old trail, and the user thought because I come from the west I didn't park at the actual parking spot so said the cache was on the "right side" since the coords kept jumping around. turns out it was the left side like it was for everyone else. That cache has since been archived do to the owner no longer visiting the area and lots of damage to the final.

Edited by Pond Bird

GC6HCXF CO says cache is in a park in Newark, NY but the park is actually OUTSIDE of Newark, NY!

The mailing address for the park is Newark. What is the issue here? Are you finding geocaches with a GPS or some sort of mapbook?

Finding geocaches with a GPS. But since it's not in Newark, Newark offices won't have information or police coverage of the park.

GC6HCXF CO says cache is in a park in Newark, NY but the park is actually OUTSIDE of Newark, NY!

The mailing address for the park is Newark. What is the issue here? Are you finding geocaches with a GPS or some sort of mapbook?

Finding geocaches with a GPS. But since it's not in Newark, Newark offices won't have information or police coverage of the park.

How do you let the police know where you are going to be if the cache page doesn't list a town, village, hamlet, etc?

Maybe you should post a needs archived for that. That could really mess up your cache planning.

No if the cache is still there and has no real physical issues, and has an active CO, a NA log is unnecessary. I know, and hopefully others will know, the park isn't in Newark but west of it so if they use the GPS coords they will be able to find the cache despite the misleading info. The point of this thread was to share thoughts about Geographically incorrect data on cache page. Actually, in this recent case, CO changing "in" to "less than 1 mile west of" would be Correct, but he is not required to have 100% geographically accurate data on the cache page.

On a side note, Obviously cache pages don't require 100% accurate data. I've seen cache pages say "easy cache n dash" and yet the cache is difficult to find. If anyone has problem finding the place even after using the coords, their best bet would be to read the description anyways. So I wish them all good luck and hope they find the cache(s).

Edited by Pond Bird

How do you let the police know where you are going to be if the cache page doesn't list a town, village, hamlet, etc?

Usually going to parks I haven't had problems, but going to cities I have but police are there making sure people are safe. Police have the job of protecting citizens and visitors of the area. In the worst case scenerio, call 911. But only 911 if it's an emergency.

Usually going to parks I haven't had problems, but going to cities I have but police are there making sure people are safe. Police have the job of protecting citizens and visitors of the area. In the worst case scenerio, call 911. But only 911 if it's an emergency.

We all know when to call 911...

The address for the park is Newark. So technically the CO saying its in a park in Newark is correct

Maybe you should post a needs archived for that. That could really mess up your cache planning.

I know, and hopefully others will know, the park isn't in Newark but west of it so if they use the GPS coords they will be able to find the cache despite the misleading info.

I'm not sure you quite get what you are saying, nobody pays any attention to the town the cache is in our near apart from getting to the general area. Here's a cache page that works on your system:

This cache is in Dover.

Good luck finding that, you could go adding more details to lead you there but that's a different game called letterboxing.

We use gps coordinates to play this game which gets you to within around 3 meters of where the cache is, you don't need to know anything else about the location.

Besides that, getting your knickers in a twist because a cache says it's "In Dover" when is actually "500 yards outside Dover" is just over pedantic, it's in bloody Dover.

Get outside and do some geocaching.

Heck, I barely know the boundaries of my own town. I'm not going to look up the boundaries of every single town / village / city that I cache in. Maybe if I was doing true Letterboxing it would matter, but otherwise I just go to where the GPS tells me. I only care if the coordinates are correct.

We all know when to call 911...

The address for the park is Newark. So technically the CO saying its in a park in Newark is correct

Just because it has a Newark address (as proven by Google Maps or whatever source(s) the repliers used). doesn't mean its in Newark. It means the mail deliveries for the park area are covered by a Post Office in Newark which in this case is the 14513 post office. Not every community has their own post office, for example, Huron doesn't have their own post office, they use either the Wolcott post office (14590) or Rose (14433). Fairville doesn't have their own post office either so they use Newark which is, of course, the 14513 post office. Widewaters is in West Newark but West Newark mail is covered by 14513 post office.

Most geocaches don't mention anything at all about location in the cache description, other than the GPS coordinates. So how do you check on those?

No if the cache is still there and has no real physical issues, and has an active CO, a NA log is unnecessary. I know, and hopefully others will know, the park isn't in Newark but west of it so if they use the GPS coords they will be able to find the cache despite the misleading info. The point of this thread was to share thoughts about Geographically incorrect data on cache page. Actually, in this recent case, CO changing "in" to "less than 1 mile west of" would be Correct, but he is not required to have 100% geographically accurate data on the cache page.

On a side note, Obviously cache pages don't require 100% accurate data. I've seen cache pages say "easy cache n dash" and yet the cache is difficult to find. If anyone has problem finding the place even after using the coords, their best bet would be to read the description anyways. So I wish them all good luck and hope they find the cache(s).

You haven't really demonstrated why that information is misleading, or why it matters. The park it's in has a Newark mailing addresses. Geocache owners are not required to list the geographic information you are demanding.

This is a GPS-based game.

You haven't really demonstrated why that information is misleading, or why it matters. The park it's in has a Newark mailing addresses. Geocache owners are not required to list the geographic information you are demanding.

It IS a GPS-based game. I know COs are not required to be 100% as stated previously. I get frustrated when a cache says its a "Cache n dash" and it is not. I have even put in my DNF its not a cache n dash.

It IS a GPS-based game. I know COs are not required to be 100% as stated previously. I get frustrated when a cache says its a "Cache n dash" and it is not. I have even put in my DNF its not a cache n dash.

Maybe it is a "cache and dash" but you just didn't find it. So it wasn't a cache and dash for you obviously.. Doesn't mean it isn't a "cache and dash" for other people. And that is a very broad phrase. It could mean multiple different things to different people.

And that has nothing to do with geographical data which is the topic for this thread. So now you're off topic.

I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion.

Just because it has a Newark address (as proven by Google Maps or whatever source(s) the repliers used). doesn't mean its in Newark. It means the mail deliveries for the park area are covered by a Post Office in Newark which in this case is the 14513 post office. Not every community has their own post office, for example, Huron doesn't have their own post office, they use either the Wolcott post office (14590) or Rose (14433). Fairville doesn't have their own post office either so they use Newark which is, of course, the 14513 post office. Widewaters is in West Newark but West Newark mail is covered by 14513 post office.

Who Cares?

I really don't think you understand Geocaching.

Who Cares?

It doesn't make any sense.

This individual nitpicks the locations mentioned in cache descriptions, so presumably he is able to use the GPS coordinates to determine what the location should be, according to whatever system is important to him. So the claim that it's somehow misleading to say that the cache is in Newark is totally disingenuous. It's just weird nitpicking of other people's caches for no apparent reason.

The vast majority of caches don't mention any location at all, outside of coordinates, and yet he isn't nitpicking those.

This individual nitpicks the locations mentioned in cache descriptions, so presumably he is able to use the GPS coordinates to determine what the location should be, according to whatever system is important to him. So the claim that it's somehow misleading to say that the cache is in Newark is totally disingenuous. It's just weird nitpicking of other people's caches for no apparent reason.

Ah do believe we've been trolled.

Quite successfully, from the looks of it.

I wondered this when he started posting here a few weeks ago but his posts about this topic are kind of weirdly persistent for a garden variety troll.

I wondered this when he started posting here a few weeks ago but his posts about this topic are kind of weirdly persistent for a garden variety troll.

I don't want to say anything slanderous, be he does believe everything he posts. You're not being trolled. Its a not seeing the forest for the trees situation.

I don't want to say anything slanderous, be he does believe everything he posts. You're not being trolled. Its a not seeing the forest for the trees situation.

It's true. I've met him. He believes everything he says on here. Not being trolled

Thank you iGator, I didn't know what to say. Yes, there are caches that don't even mention a community or anything at all so I'm sorry if I appear to be "nitpicking"

Who Cares?

I do understand geocaching. I was giving an example of how communities are not always covered by a post office within them. That said, we have established that some don't even mention a community at all. Some because they're puzzles and don't want to spoil the location, others because the owners simply don't know where they placed the cache but the coordinates. Although they must've had permission somehow.

Who Cares?

I do understand geocaching. I was giving an example of how communities are not always covered by a post office within them. That said, we have established that some don't even mention a community at all. Some because they're puzzles and don't want to spoil the location, others because the owners simply don't know where they placed the cache but the coordinates. Although they must've had permission somehow.

Specifically where are cache owners required to enter the specific community or municipality of a geocache?

This isn't required information. Most people don't put it on the cache page because it's not important to the game. It has nothing to do with permission. Is there a particular reason you have such disdain for cache owners? Without cache owners there is no game to play.

Who Cares?

You still don't get it.location often isn't mentioned because it doesn't matter. The map shows you roughly where the cache is and coordinates show exactly where it is.

An imaginary line on the ground between 2 suburbs doesn't come into it at all. How do you handle a cache that doesn't have any sort of an "official" location?

Who Cares?

I can't wrap my head around why this matters in the slightest. If I wrote on my cache page that I hid the cache on the moon, as long as the coordinates lead you to a cache...who cares? If you're saying you can't figure out how to navigate to the coordinates without knowing what city/town/township it was placed in, then I'm not sure where to begin. There is a map on every cache page.

Hey. I know which municipalities my caches are in. And I worked hard to caches in municipalities that had none! Maybe OP is working on a challenge for find a cache in every municipality in that county?

Since the vast majority of caches don't mention municipality at all, this is something the OP would be better off determining on his own with maps.

But I highly doubt this is what is going on with this geocacher.

My Earthcache "Umina's Potholes" is on Umina Point at the eastern end of Mount Ettalong near Patonga Drive, but technically it's probably on the Pearl Beach side of the headland rather than the Umina Beach side. And at high tide it's actually in Broken Bay. Since no one is likely to send it snail mail, I can't see that it matters.

Hey. I know which municipalities my caches are in. And I worked hard to caches in municipalities that had none! Maybe OP is working on a challenge for find a cache in every municipality in that county?

To my knowledge no such challenge exists in our area

That would likely have not been verifiable, and our reviewer wouldn't have published it.

That would likely have not been verifiable, and our reviewer wouldn't have published it.

I agree ;)

Who Cares?

Next time you go to that park, could you check on the container you left there "some time ago" and pick up your geo-litter? Thanks so much!

Not verifiable under the new guidelines, since there are a lot of challenge concepts they cannot write a checker for. But would it have been approved ten years ago?

Not verifiable under the new guidelines, since there are a lot of challenge concepts they cannot write a checker for. But would it have been approved ten years ago?

This is starting to veer off-topic, but just wanted to mention that such a challenge could be created with the new guidelines if the CCO creates a file of polygons and provides that file to a Project-GC checker writer. If anyone is interested in seeing what types of checkers are currently being requested, then one can go to the PGC forums and read through the posts there. Such effort will reveal what types of challenges PGC can or cannot create/tag a checker for.

This is starting to veer off-topic, but just wanted to mention that such a challenge could be created with the new guidelines if the CCO creates a file of polygons and provides that file to a Project-GC checker writer. If anyone is interested in seeing what types of checkers are currently being requested, then one can go to the PGC forums and read through the posts there. Such effort will reveal what types of challenges PGC can or cannot create/tag a checker for.

With the lifting of the challenge cache moratorium and the requirement for geocheckers, it seems to me that a forum sub-section on challenge caches might get a fair amount of traffic.

With the lifting of the challenge cache moratorium and the requirement for geocheckers, it seems to me that a forum sub-section on challenge caches might get a fair amount of traffic.

It would probably depend on what the forum sub-section is used for. If cachers use it hoping to get responses from PGC folks, then it's probably not a good idea to create such a section. PGC has already created a forum specifically for such purposes. Not sure why they would want to splinter their time between 2 different foums.

If the new sub-section would be for: cachers to discuss how they've been working with PGC or to help each other with creating the info that PGC needs to create the checkers or to discuss what types of checkers they have or have not been able to get created or to brainstorm new CC ideas, then there might be a healthy amount of traffic. I suspect that a lot of topics created in such a forum would end up being things that belong in the PGC forum, so maybe it will end up causing more confusion.

And that has nothing to do with geographical data which is the topic for this thread. So now you're off topic.

Give him a break, he's "just north" of the topic. ;)

I mean, things like mentioning the wrong town (and only "technically") I don't think are that big of a deal. But I wish people would pay attention to the geography when placing caches near borders. There is one cache that I found on the Michigan side of the Michigan-Indiana border, but the owner incorrectly marked it as being an "Indiana" cache. So now on sites like project-gc.com my stats are slightly off, since it counts the cache as what the owner marked it, rather than where it actually was.

Edited by ZeekLTK

Also I will speculate that the reason this is so important is that the OP has one of those tracking devices on his leg and was not allowed to leave the town of Newark. So he saw this specific cache pop up which said that it was in Newark, so he was excited that there was finally a new cache to find in his limited area of mobility. But once he got to the GZ his device went off and he discovered that he had violated his probation because it was actually not inside Newark! After 5 more years in prison, he is finally back out and is still furious that the thing that did him in was some guy carelessly writing "this cache is in Newark" when clearly, based on the events that unfolded when he visited the cache, that is not accurate!

Sorry for the bad luck OP! Did you at least find the cache before they found you? Or did they at least let you log a DNF before taking you in?

Edited by ZeekLTK