Can't Load 100k Topos on Oregon 600

BHP1

I have a Garmin 600 on which I load maps from several different maps sets. One of those map sets is the older Garmin 100k Topo maps, East and West. I'm not loading all of the maps but a small selection of each, along with maps from the National Parks 24k series of maps as well as free topos. All load with no issue except the 100k topos won't load even though the Map Selector claims all maps were transferred successfully. I've tried just loading the 100k topos alone on the Oregon but still no luck. I've loaded up these maps on this GPS before, really the only thing that's changed is an update to my device software. I've looked through the change logs for software updates and see no mention of the 100k maps, so I'm at a loss.

I'm able to use the 100k maps in Mapsource to upload maps to an older GPS, but in Basecamp they just won't load, even on freshly formatted SD card.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Bill

Could you have reached the 400 map tile limit?

Scratch that. Sounds like you're having other problems with it.

Are these 100k topo maps that you bought previously for another unit? Unless you bought the maps pre-loaded on a SD card, they are not transferable to another device. Any maps you bought for an older GPS are locked to that device. What's strange is that pre-loaded maps (IE, if you bought the topo version of a GPS) seem to copy just fine. I was able to successfully use the (older) Garmin Topo 100k from my Oregon 450t on my Oregon 600. But as the Topo 100 is only useful in that it's a contiguous map of the US, I still rely on free topo maps and keep my broad region on the GPS at all times. I will load maps for other states/regions when I travel.

So the answer that you may not want to hear is that it's probably not worth fretting over the inability to use the Topo 100k maps.

Edited by mineral2

I don't think these maps are locked. I've used them before on numerous GPS units with no issues. These are the older 100k topos that had East, West, Alaska, and Hawaii DVDs. The reason I like to keep them loaded is that they have trails marked whereas the free topos don't. The map manager in Basecamp marks the maps "Not Lockable", the same as the free topos and the National Parks 24k topos, which I'm pretty sure were locked at one point. I can add the 100k topos to GPSMap image file in Mapsource and upload them to a memory card or device, and they will appear on the the Oregon, but if any other maps are on the SD card there's no way to choose which you want to display, unlike when using Basecamp to upload maps.

When I choose the 100k topos with other maps in Basecamp and attempt an upload, the program finishes by telling me all maps were successfully uploaded, but the 100k topos aren't on the card. If I attempt to upload only 100k topos using Basecamp, then I get an "Upload Unsuccessful" instantly, with no sign that it even started the process of compiling and uploading the maps.

I don't think these maps are locked. I've used them before on numerous GPS units with no issues. These are the older 100k topos that had East, West, Alaska, and Hawaii DVDs. The reason I like to keep them loaded is that they have trails marked whereas the free topos don't. The map manager in Basecamp marks the maps "Not Lockable", the same as the free topos and the National Parks 24k topos, which I'm pretty sure were locked at one point. I can add the 100k topos to GPSMap image file in Mapsource and upload them to a memory card or device, and they will appear on the the Oregon, but if any other maps are on the SD card there's no way to choose which you want to display, unlike when using Basecamp to upload maps.

When I choose the 100k topos with other maps in Basecamp and attempt an upload, the program finishes by telling me all maps were successfully uploaded, but the 100k topos aren't on the card. If I attempt to upload only 100k topos using Basecamp, then I get an "Upload Unsuccessful" instantly, with no sign that it even started the process of compiling and uploading the maps.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? There are many free maps that do have trails, though some states are better than others.

If the maps load onto another GPS for you, why don't you just copy the .img file directly from that device?

Basecamp on the Oregon loads all of the maps as separate image files, so you then select or deselect the map set. A Mapsource image file puts all of the maps on one big file, so the Oregon sees it as one map set. If the Mapsource image file is loaded on the Oregon with the other maps loaded through Basecamp, then the Mapsource file is the only one that shows up in the selection screen on the Oregon.

.....Okay, I just took a break from this post and tried renaming the gmapsupp file to US Topo - West.img and that seems to have gotten me over the hurdle and the file seems to work fine, and all of the map sets appear normally in the selection screen on the Oregon.

The Oregon should be able to read multiple maps in one .img file. MapInstall used to work that way when I first got my Oregon 450 and it later switched to writing separate files for each map. Regardless, I was able to select which maps to display in the 450 whether it was loaded as a single gmapsupp.img or separate .img files for each map.

[...] The reason I like to keep them loaded is that they have trails marked whereas the free topos don't. [...]

Can you please give an example with lat/lon and a screenshot?

Hans

First is Garmin US Topo West 100k

Second is CO Topo 2011 (Free)

eQn2G6D.jpg

IoIbTJ0.jpg

The Oregon should be able to read multiple maps in one .img file. MapInstall used to work that way when I first got my Oregon 450 and it later switched to writing separate files for each map. Regardless, I was able to select which maps to display in the 450 whether it was loaded as a single gmapsupp.img or separate .img files for each map.

Maybe I'm missing something but when I have a gmapsupp img file on my Oregon 600 no other map img files show up, and the gmapsupp file shows as a single map set, meaning the whole thing can be turned on and off but not separate maps within the gmapsupp file.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? There are many free maps that do have trails, though some states are better than others.

Where I live (North GA) is covered by the National Parks 24k maps, but I do use the US topos even here. I'm actually planning a trip to CO and am trying to get everything together for that.

[...]

Maybe I'm missing something but when I have a gmapsupp img file on my Oregon 600 no other map img files show up, and the gmapsupp file shows as a single map set, meaning the whole thing can be turned on and off but not separate maps within the gmapsupp file.

Just copy different maps onto the unit and then rename the gmapsupp.img to something more useful name. The maps' filename on modern units do not have to be gmapsupp.img any longer.

Hans

Try loading one map set then go and change the name from gmapsupp to something else i.e. Home.img. Then load another one. I travel a lot and use the 24K maps which fill up the sd card pretty quick so I used map install to install individual states and afterwards remaned the file to Oregon, CA, etc. Then I moved them to my computer and drag/drop them back onto the device as needed. This allows them to be turned on individually.

[...]

Just copy different maps onto the unit and then rename the gmapsupp.img to something more useful name. The maps' filename on modern units do not have to be gmapsupp.img any longer.

Hans

Try loading one map set then go and change the name from gmapsupp to something else i.e. Home.img. Then load another one. I travel a lot and use the 24K maps which fill up the sd card pretty quick so I used map install to install individual states and afterwards remaned the file to Oregon, CA, etc. Then I moved them to my computer and drag/drop them back onto the device as needed. This allows them to be turned on individually.

If you missed it above , I did end up renaming the gmapsupp file created in Mapsource to US Topo-West, and it shows up normally on the Oregon 600 alongside the other map sets.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Bill