Selfie Cache

I did read about virtual Caches and, that they were removed, because many cheaters did them at home. YQou can solve that problem, if everyone has to include a selfie in his or her log. I already found a former webcam-cache, where i did post a selfie. (There was also a small logbook.) I also did think about some problems and how to solve them.

1. Too many people find it, if they only need to go to the coordinates and take a selfie.

Solution: Make a puzzle, which is not too easy.

2. People look up the other selfies and go to the same spot.

Solution: Make pictures unavailible, for persons, who did not log the cache.

3.Too many large pictures are uploaded.

Solution: Limit the size of pictures or resize too large pictures.

4.Players don't upload a selfie.

Solution: Delete the logs and send them a warning message or ban them for some time, if it happens more often.

What do you think of the idea?

Edited by adam.frenzel

No, thanks.

1.) Virtuals are no longer allowed. And it was not about too many finds, or armchair logs, or too many pictures taking up too much space.

2.) Most 'selfie' pictures are the worst and least interesting pictures taken. But that's just my opinion admittedly. (Look a great vista!, Look, a picture of my face, and there could be something pretty behind me, but you can't see it).

Also, If you did find a web-cam cache, you need to let the webcam take the picture and capture it. Selfies are not correct for webcam caches.

2.) Most 'selfie' pictures are the worst and least interesting pictures taken. But that's just my opinion admittedly. (Look a great vista!, Look, a picture of my face, and there could be something pretty behind me, but you can't see it).

I saw that taken to the extreme while watching one person after another take a selfie at the Louvre in front of the Mona Lisa.

I strongly oppose the idea as well, especially with the suggestion that user logs will be deleted and players banned if they don't post a selfie.

This might sound completely insane to the selfie generation but some people don't want photos of themselves plastered all over the internet. There have been some virtual caches which as for a picture of "you and your GPS" and some will use some sort of proxy item in the photo instead.

I did read about virtual Caches and, that they were removed, because many cheaters did them at home. YQou can solve that problem, if everyone has to include a selfie in his or her log. I already found a former webcam-cache, where i did post a selfie. (There was also a small logbook.) I also did think about some problems and how to solve them.

1. Too many people find it, if they only need to go to the coordinates and take a selfie.

Solution: Make a puzzle, which is not too easy.

2. People look up the other selfies and go to the same spot.

Solution: Make pictures unavailible, for persons, who did not log the cache.

3.Too many large pictures are uploaded.

Solution: Limit the size of pictures or resize too large pictures.

4.Players don't upload a selfie.

Solution: Delete the logs and send them a warning message or ban them for some time, if it happens more often.

What do you think of the idea?

Guess you didn't read the Guidelines, eh?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

III. LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

1. Logging of All Physical Geocaches

Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

An exception is Challenge Caches, which may only be logged online after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented to the cache owner as per instructions on the published listing. Other than documenting a Challenge Cache, physical caches cannot require geocachers to contact anyone.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the cache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish such tasks. This is a guideline change that applies to all logs written since April 4, 2009. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into a simple, optional task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

Edit the text of your cache listing and, if necessary, contact a reviewer to change the cache type.

Cease deleting logs based on ALRs.

2. Logging of Non-Physical Geocaches

EarthCache Logging Guidelines

EarthCaches are designed to be educational, so visitors will be asked to log an aspect of their visit that demonstrates they have learned something at the site. Unlike physical caches, where "additional logging requirements" are optional, an EarthCache requires geocachers to comply with all instructions in order to log the cache online. See EarthCache.org for more comprehensive EarthCache logging guidelines, including that photographic logs must be optional for all EarthCaches.

3. Webcam Cache Logging Guidelines

A webcam cache can only be logged with a photograph taken from the webcam associated with the cache page.

B.

I did read about virtual Caches and, that they were removed, because many cheaters did them at home.

That isn't why they were grandfathered. The primary reason why they were retired was because they were putting too much of a burden on the reviewers. The beginning of the end was when there started to be way too many "lame" Virtuals submitted. In an attempt to try to limit the numbers and increase the quality, they then required that Virtuals needed to have some kind of "WOW Factor" to pass review, which was determined by the reviewers. After a little while of this, the reviewers stated that they didn't want to have to deal with all the subjectivity, headaches, and angry denied cachers that came with being the arbiters of "WOW", so Groundspeak grandfathered the existing Virtuals and stopped accepting new ones.

Since then, there have been countless discussions about ways to deal with these problems (over-proliferation and low-quality) and allow Virtuals to come back. This hasn't happened. For your idea to work, you'd have to figure out how to limit the number of caches that would be created, and ensure that "lame" ones are avoided as much as possible.

Personally, I think the inherent quality of the cache type is questionable by its very nature, as explained by the above posts about a great photo being spoiled by a face in the middle of it. I'd much rather see a photo of that great view than a couple of small pieces of that view on either side of someone's mug.

Personally, I think the inherent quality of the cache type is questionable by its very nature, as explained by the above posts about a great photo being spoiled by a face in the middle of it. I'd much rather see a photo of that great view than a couple of small pieces of that view on either side of someone's mug.

It would be even harder for the cacheowners to check, if the pictures are really yours then.

Also, If you did find a web-cam cache, you need to let the webcam take the picture and capture it. Selfies are not correct for webcam caches.

I did write "FORMER webcam cache".It is now a traditional cache and says, that you should take a picture of yourself with your GPS device, but not everyone did that.

It would be even harder for the cacheowners to check, if the pictures are really yours then.

I didn't mean that as a change to your idea. I was just saying how little I'd enjoy looking at other peoples' selfies.

I did write "FORMER webcam cache".It is now a traditional cache and says, that you should take a picture of yourself with your GPS device, but not everyone did that.

I looked at that cache myself because I was curious how it was set up. To be clear, the cache does not require that you take a selfie, it only suggests it. Requiring a selfie on a cache would be an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR), which isn't allowed.

This thread gave me a nice flashback trip down memory lane to August 2002. That's when someone attempted to log a bunch of locationless caches by photoshopping a picture of their hand (holding a Garmin GPS) onto photos of the target locations which the person found on the internet. A number of forum discussions erupted. "The Hand" became one of the early famous "forum memes."

Propose a way to deter cheaters and someone will invent a new way to cheat.

Count my vote for "find the cache, sign the logbook, log the find online."

+1

:laughing:

What would be the criteria for listing one? Would they be allowed anywhere and everywhere? If so, they'd multiply and spread like a plague. :laughing: Would they only be in "nice" places? If so, who judges what places are "nice enough"?

The mechanics of such a cache are one thing; figuring out how to limit their inevitable placement explosion is something else. Even if all of us thought it was a great idea, I don't see Groundspeak going with it after retiring Virtuals.

I guess if some jerk thinks it's okay to do a selfie with a supposed hijacker, this can't be worse.

One near me often has a a tiny corner of the awesome spot he was at, the rest of the pic is up his nose.

- And apparently he's okay with that.

Bearded guy in Winter selfies. Lovely... :laughing:

I didn't mean that as a change to your idea. I was just saying how little I'd enjoy looking at other peoples' selfies.

I looked at that cache myself because I was curious how it was set up. To be clear, the cache does not require that you take a selfie, it only suggests it. Requiring a selfie on a cache would be an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR), which isn't allowed.

I thought not having a webcam working or allowing cachers not posting pictures would result in archiving the Webcam?

I thought not having a webcam working or allowing cachers not posting pictures would result in archiving the Webcam?

Maybe they did that and made a new traditional cache in the same area.

Well I looked back at that, and it was never a Webcam, only called it a Webcam. 2010 they didn't allow them. Maybe they tried but all they have is a traditional that allowed cachers to post pictures of the cache if they wanted to.

I did think again about other Cache types, which are close to a selfie cache with puzzle and i think earth caches are not that much different. Also i didn't look up the guidelines before and it seems, that the requirement of a selfie is against the rules. Maybe it's already enogh, that we have earth caches, but i didn't try to find one yet. Can anyone tell, how close a selfie cache with puzzle would be to an earth cache?

Can anyone tell, how close a selfie cache with puzzle would be to an earth cache?

I haven't seen too many Puzzle Listings focused on geology, which is a basic requirement for Earthcaches:

An EarthCache provides an Earth Science lesson through a visit to a unique geological site, and generally focuses on one aspect of the site.

And as you stated, "selfie's" on Earthcaches are no longer allowed (or even grandfathered for that matter), so it's not really a fair comparison.

I know a cacher who posts selfies on all their Finds with them holding the logsheet as proof of the Find.

Just posting a selfie without a logsheet or landmark doesn't really prove a find.

A requested but optional selfie in addition to a cache is just a normal cache with a voluntary ALR. A selfie requirement without a container is just a type of Virtual.

Frankly, I hate the modern obsession with selfies. I think they're usually narcissistic.

An EarthCache provides an Earth Science lesson through a visit to a unique geological site, and generally focuses on one aspect of the site.

Would it be okay,if the new cache type would still have a science lesson, but wasn't limited to geology?

Maybe there are some historical important spots, which are not too obvious.

If this would be a good idea for a new type of cache and slefies are not required, then the title of the thread might be misleading soon.

Edited by adam.frenzel

Would it be okay,if the new cache type would still have a science lesson, but wasn't limited to geology?

Maybe there are some historical important spots, which are not too obvious.

If this would be a good idea for a new type of cache and slefies are not required, then the title of the thread might be misleading soon.

While ideas for history-caches have been proposed, they haven't gotten anywhere.

Earthcaches are done in partnership with Geologic Society of America (GSA), and they require geology lessons, not history lessons.

There is no partner organization that wants to oversee the proposed history cache idea.

Frankly, I hate the modern obsession with selfies. I think they're usually narcissistic.

Aye, especially ones that are really focused on oneself. I vastly prefer selfies that are intended to put the rest of the picture on display, more like an "I was really here" type of photo than a "look at me" pedestal. On the odd occasion I do a selfie, it's to showcase some really cool spot or thing, and I usually get my ugly mug off to the side or corner, usually cut off, or surround my ugly mug with other not-so-ugly mugs :laughing:

Propose a way to deter cheaters and someone will invent a new way to cheat.

Count my vote for "find the cache, sign the logbook, log the find online."

I'm not in favour of selfie caches. However the "sign the logbook, log the find online" does not generate fewer cheaters.

I'm not in favor of anything that perpetuates the use of an idiotic term like "selfie". I don't know where that word originated, but up until maybe two or three years ago I only ever heard them referred to as "self-portraits" or "photograph of yourself". Yeah, they may involve more syllables, but they sure do make one sound less moronic than "selfie".

/grumpyrant

Edited by J Grouchy

I know a cacher who posts selfies on all their Finds with them holding the logsheet as proof of the Find.

Just posting a selfie without a log sheet or landmark doesn't really prove a find.

I don't always upload my photos, but I do take lots of geocaching pictures. I do photograph all logs with my signature on them, and have used them to have my finds reinstated when a CO deleted it just to be mean. :(

Just posting a selfie without a log sheet or landmark doesn't really prove a find.

I don't always upload my photos, but I do take lots of geocaching pictures. I do photograph all logs with my signature on them, and have used them to have my finds reinstated when a CO deleted it just to be mean. :(

I have done the opposite, photographing the log with my sig and privately sharing it with the CO in order for them to remove bogus logs. I've never done this unless either T or D (or both) was 4 or more.

I have done the opposite, photographing the log with my sig and privately sharing it with the CO in order for them to remove bogus logs. I've never done this unless either T or D (or both) was 4 or more.

The only concern I have with that (and other log-checking techniques) is thatso me people, especially on full logs, don't sign in order or on an expected page. Sometimes they just find the first empty spot and sign, with or without a date. So unless you photograph the entire logbook, a signature that you'd think should be in one spot might be somewhere else not shown. As a CO i wouldn't remove a recent Find log if it's not on a photo of the recent log page taken by a cacher. But that's just me.

I am developing a whole new set of opinions based on this statement. I reserve the right to audit my own caches. But being a snitch for other caches?