QR Code?

tborden13

So I'm pretty new to geocaching. Even though I started with my sister a few years ago, I recently got Really into it. My son and I found a QR code during a search for a cache. I got a picture of it, but I don't know where/how to scan with my iPhone! Can anyone help me understand a little better? Thanks!

Right, iPhones don't come with QR reading built in, but there are many apps that scan and handle QR codes. Munzee is another game similar to geocaching but has no containers (fundamentally); they have an app that scans the QR code and does all the work for you; that game is almost purely digital, has a much greater chance at leaving litter, is far more dense, and is the subject of some controversy around these parts :P Best to discuss that game over on their website than in here.

However, QR codes themselves could be used in geocaching as a form of field puzzle, so it's definitely a good idea to find a good, simple, (free) QR code reader for your phone!

I've contemplated puzzle variations that have you create or fill in a QR code pattern, which you'd need to recognize as one in order to make it scannable for the solution :) I personally love QR codes, and other forms of 2D bar codes. So much puzzly potential

Edited by thebruce0

Right, iPhones don't come with QR reading built in, but there are many apps that scan and handle QR codes. Munzee is another game similar to geocaching but has no containers (fundamentally); they have an app that scans the QR code and does all the work for you; that game is almost purely digital, has a much greater chance at leaving litter, is far more dense, and is the subject of some controversy around these parts :P Best to discuss that game over on their website than in here.

However, QR codes themselves could be used in geocaching as a form of field puzzle, so it's definitely a good idea to find a good, simple, (free) QR code reader for your phone!

I had never heard of munzee, completely accidental find. I do like the idea of physical caches. Especially trading as I tend to cache with my 7yo! I just thought it was an addition to the cache found a couple steps away! Still learning, slowly getting better enough to start conquering these puzzle challenges!

I had never heard of munzee, completely accidental find. I do like the idea of physical caches. Especially trading as I tend to cache with my 7yo! I just thought it was an addition to the cache found a couple steps away! Still learning, slowly getting better enough to start conquering these puzzle challenges!

There are a good number of people that do both and the Munzee's show up next to a cache somewhat often.

I have a QR code cache in the works now. :)

I have one in the works with QR codes and NFC tags, but the NFC tags leave the Apple folks out, so I need to offer up a plan B for them.

I have one in the works with QR codes and NFC tags, but the NFC tags leave the Apple folks out, so I need to offer up a plan B for them.

And QR codes leave those of us without smart phones out. I solved a puzzle cache that was a QR code and had to bring it to work to have someone with a smart phone get the answer for me.

And QR codes leave those of us without smart phones out. I solved a puzzle cache that was a QR code and had to bring it to work to have someone with a smart phone get the answer for me.

You can get a photo with a normal camera then up load it to a Web service that will do the reading for you.