A little bit of a story...

Well, I'm back at it again. A few of the oldtimers on these forums might've previously known me as Team Krammer.

Today, I've got for you a little geocaching story that happened a few days ago. For the sake of clarity, I'll be calling my partner Bat and myself Pony.

We were on a little caching run on our way to the movies, and decided to stop by a parking lot for what we assumed was a standard LPC. Bat went out to the location, searched for a moment, and couldn't find a thing. I went out and stared at it for a few moments and then made the grab immediately - one of those tiny little magnetic nanos about 3/4 an inch long with the cap that screws off to reveal the log. Brought it back to the car, unrolled the log, noticed that it was full, and as such didn't sign it.

I went to get out of the car to return the cache, fumbled, and dropped the little bugger somewhere between the center console of Bat's car and the seat I was sitting in. Oh well, can't look for it now, we needed to go to the movies. I left a note on the cache page and the owner disabled it quickly.

After our movie, we cleaned out Bat's car and eventually found the nano - stuck to a bit of metal that was part of the seat in the car. We stuck it to the outside of the car so we wouldn't lose it, and decided to return it to the next day.

By some miracle, in the morning we actually remembered to remove the nano from the outside of the car so it wouldn't blow off in the wind on our way there. We went to the cache site and as we got there, I began unscrewing the container just because I felt like fidgeting. Naturally, I dropped both halves down into the same spot again. Spent a few minutes searching the car, found the bottom again, and then later on the top... But no log.

We decided to simply replace the log with a new one as it was full anyway, so I gave it to Bat to hold onto it whilst I was rolling the new log. Somehow, he managed to drop the bottom again, and it took us another good 5 minutes to locate it in the car.

Alright, the log was replaced and signed, the cache was closed, and we had a very firm grip on it. Bat went out to replace it as he no longer trusted me not to lose it again.

Whew, what a little adventure... Has anything like this happened to you before? Share your story!

Yeah, I've had *butterfingers* days like that. :lol:

You know what it's like when a cat attacks the toilet paper roll - there's lots and lots of re-rolling involved by the human. Well, at this cache I managed to drop the logroll not once but twice, and that roll is really long. After a long rewinding session, you can imagine the word I said when I dropped it a second time.

Virually the same thing. The Cache was a small Nano (as described above), I found it very quickly but as I took it off the post I dropped it. A black Nano falling on black tarmac. I heard it hit the pavement, but didnt see where it went.

So, theres me on my hands and knees looking of the Nano between the post and a car, my wife is laughing her head off when I heard " and what are you doing there?". I turn round and there is a Police car with 2 officers in it, well the first thought was "they wont believe me if I tell them what has happened". But I did anyway, "Oh you are looking for the keepers of the Tower" and then they drove off.

About 5 - 10 minutes later (yes it took that Long) my wife says "Hes coming back (the policeman)", and rest assured one of the policeman came back to see what was going on. "Have you found it", he asked as he got down on his hands and knees - he was in uniform - to help us find the Nano. In the end we found the Nano, under the car, just in arms reach. This is one of our finds that I wont Forget in a hurry. Oh yes, the owner of the Cache was the policeman. We spent a good 30 minutes having a Chat about Caching.

Edited by speakers-corner

One time I hiked up a hill to find a bison tube cache that was hidden in a tree about ten feet down a steep cliff. Only problem is, the bison tube was inside a full jar of vaseline. While trying not to lose my balance on the steep slope, I slipped a bit during the opening and logging process. Half the bison squirted out of my greased hands and did a swan dive over the edge of the cliff. Faced with a choice between climbing down the cliff with hands full of vaseline vs. trooping back to the car in defeat, I opted for the DNF. A month later I replaced the bison for the owner. Had the cache been on level ground and within 200 feet of a paper towel dispenser (or my car), it would've earned a favorite point.

One time I hiked up a hill to find a bison tube cache that was hidden in a tree about ten feet down a steep cliff. Only problem is, the bison tube was inside a full jar of vaseline. While trying not to lose my balance on the steep slope, I slipped a bit during the opening and logging process. Half the bison squirted out of my greased hands and did a swan dive over the edge of the cliff. Faced with a choice between climbing down the cliff with hands full of vaseline vs. trooping back to the car in defeat, I opted for the DNF. A month later I replaced the bison for the owner. Had the cache been on level ground and within 200 feet of a paper towel dispenser (or my car), it would've earned a favorite point.

These are the stories that keep me Geocaching.

...the bison tube was inside a full jar of vaseline.

:blink:

Uh, what? Is this a thing, or was it a muggle messing with the cache?

I've seen it as a thing ... but I think it is beyond gross and hope it doesn't get copied anywhere.

Perhaps the vaseline keeps critters out. I know it would keep me out. :)

...the bison tube was inside a full jar of vaseline.

:blink:

Uh, what? Is this a thing, or was it a muggle messing with the cache?

I've seen it as a thing ... but I think it is beyond gross and hope it doesn't get copied anywhere.

Perhaps the vaseline keeps critters out. I know it would keep me out. :)

The "bison inside a full vaseline jar" was the intended cache design. It's garnered eight favorite points, representing 38% of all premium members who found the cache. And I am the only person clumsy enough to drop the cache. Perhaps I need more experience with vaseline. :blink:

The "bison inside a full vaseline jar" was the intended cache design. It's garnered eight favorite points, representing 38% of all premium members who found the cache.

I guess things are just different in your part of the world. I'm pretty sure that if such a cache were hidden in my area, it would be very poorly-received and people would be clamoring for the ability to add negative Favourite Points.

I once found a blinker, walked over to a convenient surface to sign the log, and then walked back to replace the blinker, holding it between a thumb and finger as I walked. On the way back, I bumped one of those flexible plastic markers they use to identify underground utilities. The marker bent and then flicked the blinker from between my fingers. It landed... somewhere... over there maybe... among the dry leaves all over the ground... and of course, the blinker itself was rust brown.

Finding it the second time was a lot harder than finding it the first time.