allowed distance between different cache type & Webcam questions?

MamaBee24

I have a question about the allowed distance between caches when they are different cache types. There is already an Earthcache at one location that I discovered has a live web cam set up and would be an excellent place for a Webcam Cache. I could probably place the Webcam cache 20 feet away but not much more. Would that be allowed or would they be too close together? I've see other caches in my area that are 20 feet apart or less that are 2 different types of caches (a traditional cache and an earth cache for example) so that makes me wonder if my Webcam cache might be allowed by the Earthcache as they are not same type of cache.

On a separate note, I also see many caches that are both traditional caches and are 20-30 feet apart (on places like nature trails, etc) and I wonder how that was allowed either. Were rules different in the past and they just left those caches alone if they were already there?

Thank you for the help!

Mamabee24

edited to remove webcache questions as they are no longer applicable

Edited by MamaBee24

No new Webcam caches are accepted. See the following article on Grandfathered cache types:

Grandfathered Geocaches

On a separate note, I also see many caches that are both traditional caches and are 20-30 feet apart (on places like nature trails, etc) and I wonder how that was allowed either. Were rules different in the past and they just left those caches alone if they were already there? Or is there some secret I'm missing? :)

Can you provide some examples. I've see caches slightly less than 528 feet, but not the 20-30 feet apart that you're describing.

Edited by Touchstone

Thank you for the update on the webcaches.

I don't want to cause problems for any of the cache owners but there are some here that are very close. Some are as I'd mentioned are 2 different types, for example an Earthcache and a traditional or a mystery and a traditional and some are all traditional caches. Is there an exact distance they have to be apart? I know that red circle pops up when you are entering a new cache but wasn't sure if there is an exact amount?

I don't want to cause problems for any of the cache owners but there are some here that are very close. Some are as I'd mentioned are 2 different types, for example an Earthcache and a traditional or a mystery and a traditional and some are all traditional caches. Is there an exact distance they have to be apart? I know that red circle pops up when you are entering a new cache but wasn't sure if there is an exact amount?

I have a EarthCache and a Traditional geocache at the exact same coordinates. It is physical caches that have a 528 ft apart guideline, and EarthCaches are considered a Virtual cache type and was once moved to the Waymarking site here where Web Cams are still accepted as a Waymark and not a cache type. :)

Can you provide an example of two physical geocaches 20-30 feet apart?

Edited by Manville Possum

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart.

A physical stage is defined as any waypoint that contains a physical element placed by the cache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages, including reference points, trail-head/parking coordinates and/or a virtual stage waypoints, are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of cache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline as they do not have physical waypoints.

Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.

Its the Physical stages of different caches that must be 528 ft apart.

A Traditional cache and the start point of a Multi-cache or Puzzle/Mystery cache can be closer - if the start of the multi or Puzzle/Mystery are not Physical stages.

eg. the icons may show next to each other on the map or listing, but the actual cache IS the required minimum distance away from other caches.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

1.12. Understanding the Geocache Planning Map

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=464

1.26. EarthCaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=60

An EarthCache is a virtual geocache. There is no container to be found at the coordinates,

B.

Generally speaking, though earthcaches can be set up right on top of another cache, I know the preference is to offset them slightly so that the icons don't overlap on the map. I've had a few that could have overlapped with other caches and have usually offset them by 100' or so just to avoid the issue.