What to do about finds logged on website but not signed on logsheet?

FiveBeans

We're fairly new to hiding. We've hidden four caches. Just went to replace a logsheet today and decided to check it against the finds logged on the website. Discovered several logs which weren't written on the logsheet. What's the right thing to do about this? Contact the geocachers or just ignore and assume they forgot to sign the sheet? Or delete the log?

Generally, are you supposed to check each log against the logsheet?

TIA

... are you supposed to check each log against the logsheet?

It's one of the owner's duties.

If you are sure that a geocacher didn't log in the logbook, you can delete the Found It log.

Even so, several things may occur.

1. When a big group find your cache, they may log using a "colective name", like "Big Adventure Easter 2016", or "Americans go Ape 2018". In this situation you can't find every personal nickname of all the geocachers in a given group...

2. The logbook may have been replaced by somebody else in the meantime...

3. The logbook may be unreadable and the geocacher took a picture instead (you are not forced to accept as a Found It)...

4. ...

Use you good sense.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Link for reference:

Log Deletion

Probably my favorite part of that article can be found at the bottom of the page:

MESSY SITUATION?

We know that sometimes this issue can be contentious. If the other party is being stubborn, ask yourself, "Is this dispute really worth my time?" Try being the bigger person and conceding the point. You may discover that you feel better for doing so. At the very least, it will put the matter quickly behind you.

All that being said, I tend to focus on the obvious TOU violations (i.e. obscene, threatening logs), and obvious spam bots/loggers (i.e. hundreds/thousands of Find logs over a very large geographic area).

We look if a "cacher" logs, "TFTC" on a 5-terrain multi visited maybe once a year.

Not there...delete.

If we get one of those "swept through the entire State, did all yours (and everyone elses). Had a blast!" logs, we look.

Not there...delete.

The simple 1.5 micro matchstick holder in a small park that gets the most finds from new folks (and needs the most maintenance), unless there's a reason, we don't bother much.

Most logs now seem to be folks still learning about the hobby there, so we step back a bit. :)

Generally, are you supposed to check each log against the logsheet?

That's a reasonable question, but I find the term "supposed to" problematic. You can check the log sheet, and I personally find it fun to check the log sheet, but I don't worry about discrepancies. And unless there's a detectable trend of false logs on your cache, I don't think anyone could say you need to check your log sheet for any reason beyond curiosity. When I check and discover a missing signature, I generally just assume they forgot to sign the log. There have been a time or two when the missing signature in the log backed up some suspicions I had based on other information, and I've ended up deleting the log, but as long as it doesn't appear to be some widespread logging scam, I'll just assume there's an innocent explanation.

When I notice a missing signature that a friend of mine should have left, I might make a sarcastic comment in the log, but that comes up more often when I find someone else's cache, not when I check my own cache.

On one of my caches recently, the cache truly went missing as the mounting mechanism was still in place. Before I knew of the issue of course, someone went looking for it, found the obvious mount, and then the following ensued...

- without any prior contact with me, the cacher leaves a log, yes, JUST a log with NO container, attached to the lonely mounting mechanism.

- cacher takes a picture.

- gets home, then proceeds to send me the picture of the bare log asking me if they could log it as a find.

- I said no, sometimes a DNF really is a DNF and the cacher then gets perturbed and irritated.

- I also said to cacher, had you actually left me a viable container with log as your no-permission "drop", I would have considered it, and likely said thanks.

- The cacher then said I was ungrateful and promised to never, ever, visit any more of my caches.

Needless to say, after a recent maintenance visit, the log that was left had blown away in the wind.

/rant

Edited by bflentje

When I archived one of my caches recently, I checked the paper logs against the website. There were a couple names not on the log. I messaged them and asked them to describe the hide (where it was, the container, etc.) to verify to me that they had been there. One replied and gave a somewhat generic answer; they could have been there, or maybe they were trying to bamboozle me. I left the online log. The other one didn't respond; I deleted that one.

Sometimes Geocachers can't sign your log book for real reasons. Like perhaps the pen is missing or not working and they forgot their own.

Malarkey. Doesn't take but one time with no writing implement to "remember" to bring a ballpoint pen, a fine-point marker AND a mechanical pencil.

If you're counting on a writing implement to be in the cache, and to be usable, then you're in for a disappointment.

Or maybe the log book got wet.

It's not often that I don't have some sort of "paper" with me to sign.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I personally care more about the logs on website then whats in my cache's log book.

I'm not into enabling fake finds. If the sig is not in the logbook, and there's no evidence of them finding other caches in the area, I delete the online log.

Yes, I delete fake "found it" logs. There's no point in having a container if they won't sign the logbook.

B.

Sometimes Geocachers can't sign your log book for real reasons. Like perhaps the pen is missing or not working and they forgot their own. Or maybe the log book got wet. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I personally care more about the logs on website then whats in my cache's log book.

Seriously? Geocaching is about finding the cache,signing the log, and logging on-line. I always carry a pen with me. That means that I always geocache with a pocket to put the pen in. If one logs: "Found cache but did not have a pen." Then the requirements to log the cache have not been met.

Sometimes Geocachers can't sign your log book for real reasons. Like perhaps the pen is missing or not working and they forgot their own. Or maybe the log book got wet. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I personally care more about the logs on website then whats in my cache's log book.

Seriously? Geocaching is about finding the cache,signing the log, and logging on-line. I always carry a pen with me. That means that I always geocache with a pocket to put the pen in. If one logs: "Found cache but did not have a pen." Then the requirements to log the cache have not been met.

What if your pen ran out of ink?

Then I guess the hypothetical person in this example would just have to accept the fact that the possibility of having their Find deleted is one possible outcome.

After our first week (as newbs), and found that many pens in caches didn't work anymore, we remembered to have something to write with always.

I keep a Fisher bullet pen in my pocket with my keys all the time, along with a Fisher space pen refill in my wallet.

Caching, always have a finepoint sharpie, and a golf pencil in my camera case.

- We don't go outdoors without a camera. Works, and simple.

Weren't anyayou guys Boy Scouts ? :laughing:

Excuses, excuses, :lol:

I usually always have a pen or pencil with me these days but i do remember one time when i forgot. The cache didn't have anything in it as well so i did the next best thing,,, used a stick and a piece of grass to ink my green initials in. A stick dipped in dirt/mud/tree sap/blood can work in a pinch as well. B)

I rarely bother checking my cache logbooks against online logs unless something really stands out as unusual or fishy.

If someone has forgotten their pen or simply forgotten to sign the log once they've looked through the swag it doesn't really matter to me. There are alot of worse things in thw world to worry about. :)

There have been a few times that I've lost a pen bushwhacking. I get to the cache, reach for a pen, and not there. I have to dig through my bag for my spare. As I backtrack, I find my pen, stuck on a branch of a bush. Stupid pen thief.

There have been a few times that I've lost a pen bushwhacking. I get to the cache, reach for a pen, and not there. I have to dig through my bag for my spare. As I backtrack, I find my pen, stuck on a branch of a bush. Stupid pen thief.

Off topic: that happened to my GPSr once. It was right at GZ, so I'd just signed the log and almost walked away without it before I noticed it hanging on the other side of the bush.

Geesh...it's nice to see how perfect everyone is, that nobody else ever just forgets their pen or always remembers to check that it writes perfectly before they leave to grab the cache. I feel so incompetent because apparently I'm the only one on earth that is so completely irresponsible and forgetful that I have, on occasion, actually forgotten to grab a pen...or forgotten to test the functionality of said pen before, during and after my cache hunt.

Man, I'm such a jerk.

Edited by J Grouchy

Geesh...it's nice to see how perfect everyone is, that nobody else ever just forgets their pen or always remembers to check that it writes perfectly before they leave to grab the cache. I feel so incompetent because apparently I'm the only one on earth that is so completely irresponsible and forgetful that I have, on occasion, actually forgotten to grab a pen...or forgotten to test the functionality of said pen before, during and after my cache hunt.

Man, I'm such a jerk.

Nope, just human. When you become involved in an activity that keeps score this somehow becomes a very big issue.

Edited by justintim1999

Man, I'm such a jerk.

Nope, just human. When you become involved in an activity that keeps score this somehow becomes a very big issue.

We're human, we forget, we make mistakes...

I think the main thing here is to know that there are other ways of doing things in a pinch. We forget our pen, or the one we have doesn't work, we go to plan B. Me saying that i didn't have a pen and then not trying to do anything to rectify the situation seems kinda lame to me. Whether i had to go back to the car for a pen that works, or use some other means, i'd be sure to somehow get my name written/embossed/stickered/scratched into a logbook.

Man, I'm such a jerk.

I mean, this is geocaching - turning up without a decent collection of pens, after you have made find 20, is a definite rookie mistake, like showing up to play baseball without your glove....

Geesh...it's nice to see how perfect everyone is, that nobody else ever just forgets their pen or always remembers to check that it writes perfectly before they leave to grab the cache.

I'm not sure how you can say everyone else is claiming to be perfect since almost every response has started with "once I forgot my pen..."

I feel so incompetent because apparently I'm the only one on earth that is so completely irresponsible and forgetful that I have, on occasion, actually forgotten to grab a pen...or forgotten to test the functionality of said pen before, during and after my cache hunt.

The lesson others have learned is to make it a habit to always carry a pen because it's the responsible way to avoid forgetting one, and, in fact, always carry multiple pens for redundancy.

Man, I'm such a jerk.

If you say so, but I don't hear anyone in this thread suggesting anything negative about the personality of any individual without a pen, merely stressing that if you find yourself unable to sign the log, you shouldn't claim the find.

After forgetting a pen at a couple of caches, I got a telescoping keychain pen:

eba7_telepen.jpg

Now if I'm outside of my home (which would normally be the case when I'm caching :laughing: ), I'll naturally have my keys with me and therefore a pen. Every cacher should have one of these. I normally bring a normal-sized pen, but having this on my keychain has come in handy on many occasions.

Man, I'm such a jerk.

I'll do you one better. I just took a trip to Massachusetts over the weekend, and although I had pens from the hotel room, I forgot my GPSr at home. Truly, I am a monster.

(I paid for my sins by having to use the cell phone app and never having accuracy closer than 26 feet.)

Man, I'm such a jerk.

Yes, very human. And as a human, you should be prepared for the disappointment of a DNF without having to resort to playing against the guidelines. :ph34r:

Man, I'm such a jerk.

Yes, very human. And as a human, you should be prepared for the disappointment of a DNF without having to resort to playing against the guidelines. :ph34r:

Well...some folks took my post a BIT too seriously.

While it HAS happened that I've either forgotten to grab my pen in my haste to find the cache, or the pen I brought does not properly write...it hasn't happened more than a handful of times. Thing is, I can't think of a single instance of this ever being a problem. In my experience, it happens to most everyone (though the strictest, most hardcore folks all seem to come in here to the forums in order to properly lecture the rest of us) and it's generally accepted as just a part of life and the human condition.

So unless it's a difficult puzzle or a very tricky find (or both), I will barely give such admissions of forgetfulness or unpreparedness a second thought.

We used to have a cacher who logged "all" caches almost as soon as they were posted, several of these were FTF for me and there was no logs in the book when I found it but he claimed FTF as well, I went back to several of them and he had not signed any of them, I called him out on it and he did change the FTF to just another find although he never in fact singed the logbook. I started watching him and he had several 100 plus caches days covering couple hundred miles, he logged events and yet nobody I talked to ever met him. On "internet" logs he was amazing but the fact was he was just a liar and a loser who finally just went away.

Wow! I guess I'm playing this game all wrong! Apparently my first mistake was to think this was a game! You people take this way to seriously! I have 31 current hides. I NEVER check logs against the website logs. To me, what I find and log is my business and my game and my satisfaction. If I want a bazillion fake logs, is anyone losing any money or prestige? (not counting FTFs) Or am I just being a loser and inflating my own ego? What can it possibly matter to a cache owner whether or not I sign the log, except for the owner to be anal enough to actually care? I have logged a few finds and not signed the log for various reasons. One was last week when the container was so buried inside of a cactus that I couldn't get to it without going home to bring more tools, or risk getting my hand sliced up! No, I didn't sign the log, but I did take credit for finding it! Yeah, I found it, right there in that trap! Or next to that rattlesnake! I'm not going to come back tomorrow across 5 miles of burning Arizona desert just to sign a silly little piece of paper to prove that I had been there! I guess if that owner feels that I am not justified for finding his/her cache, then fine, delete the log! But that's just being vindictive and anal about it.

This is one of only a few times I have actually come here. I was looking for something specific and came across this post. Now I feel that if this is how the average cache owner feels about signing logs, and I am being so flip about it, I might just have to go collect all of my caches and give it up! I'm here for the fun of the GAME, not to make a name for myself! I probably won't come back here!

I wish I knew ahead of time where all of YOUR caches are so I could avoid them! In the meantime, I am going to continue to play the game as I like to play it. I have been doing this for 12 years and I have never had a log deleted because I didn't sign a piece of paper. 99% of the time, I do sign the paper, but sometimes I don't. If I don't at least find the container, then I won't claim it. I remember one that I couldn't open without destroying the container. I don't see it as a big deal. I guess that's just my opinion, but I will continue to have my kind of fun.

Wow! I guess I'm playing this game all wrong! Apparently my first mistake was to think this was a game! You people take this way to seriously! I have 31 current hides. I NEVER check logs against the website logs. To me, what I find and log is my business and my game and my satisfaction. If I want a bazillion fake logs, is anyone losing any money or prestige? (not counting FTFs) Or am I just being a loser and inflating my own ego? What can it possibly matter to a cache owner whether or not I sign the log, except for the owner to be anal enough to actually care? I have logged a few finds and not signed the log for various reasons. One was last week when the container was so buried inside of a cactus that I couldn't get to it without going home to bring more tools, or risk getting my hand sliced up! No, I didn't sign the log, but I did take credit for finding it! Yeah, I found it, right there in that trap! Or next to that rattlesnake! I'm not going to come back tomorrow across 5 miles of burning Arizona desert just to sign a silly little piece of paper to prove that I had been there! I guess if that owner feels that I am not justified for finding his/her cache, then fine, delete the log! But that's just being vindictive and anal about it.

This is one of only a few times I have actually come here. I was looking for something specific and came across this post. Now I feel that if this is how the average cache owner feels about signing logs, and I am being so flip about it, I might just have to go collect all of my caches and give it up! I'm here for the fun of the GAME, not to make a name for myself! I probably won't come back here!

I wish I knew ahead of time where all of YOUR caches are so I could avoid them! In the meantime, I am going to continue to play the game as I like to play it. I have been doing this for 12 years and I have never had a log deleted because I didn't sign a piece of paper. 99% of the time, I do sign the paper, but sometimes I don't. If I don't at least find the container, then I won't claim it. I remember one that I couldn't open without destroying the container. I don't see it as a big deal. I guess that's just my opinion, but I will continue to have my kind of fun.

Humbug.... Games have rules..... get over it.

I bet you were one of those kids who would never go out willingly after your 3 strikes!

My goodness! :blink:

Ya know, even though geocaching is not that important in the grand scheme of things, it does require some structure to exist. Simple guidelines, one being that a person should sign the logbook to log a find online, were established when geocaching.com came about some 15+ years ago. It always amazes me when i see someone come on and try to tell everyone that it doesn't matter how others play and that skipping basic guidelines doesn't affect anyone. Then on top of that, make a statement pretty much calling responsible geocachers, jerks.

What can it possibly matter to a cache owner whether or not I sign the log, except for the owner to be anal enough to actually care?

It matters to me in the same way it matters to me that a CO hid a cache: I rise the challenge and find the cache, and I rise to the challenge and detect and delete the fake log. Just another fun part of the game.

Why do you ask? Do you log a lot of fake finds?

No excuses, you make some form of distinguishing mark, and then mention it in your online log. I've had people signing the logbook in blood, muddy sticks, burnt matches, the list goes on as there is always something around that can be used.

More proof that I should rate ALL of my caches 1/1 with no attributes.. because to some people, rules, guidelines, and bounds just don't matter.

No excuses, you make some form of distinguishing mark, and then mention it in your online log. I've had people signing the logbook in blood, muddy sticks, burnt matches, the list goes on as there is always something around that can be used.

Personally I think that for a game that is social in nature and dependent upon a community of people that we shouldn't be so rigid.

Saw a cache recently whose description CLEARLY said "If you do not sign the official log your entry will be deleted and no other log except my official log will be counted"

The "official log" was a 4" round label in the top of the canister which was VERY FULL, to the point where people were writing over each other's names. Someone inserted a log of their own and each name on there had been removed from the online log.

I message the CO to tell them it was impossible to add the name they said "I know" So we returned and made a smudge which I took a pic and sent to the CO.

There's a way...it may not be pretty... Also this CO needs to be a bit better about the whole thing.

Saw a cache recently whose description CLEARLY said "If you do not sign the official log your entry will be deleted and no other log except my official log will be counted"

The "official log" was a 4" round label in the top of the canister which was VERY FULL, to the point where people were writing over each other's names. Someone inserted a log of their own and each name on there had been removed from the online log.

I message the CO to tell them it was impossible to add the name they said "I know" So we returned and made a smudge which I took a pic and sent to the CO.

There's a way...it may not be pretty... Also this CO needs to be a bit better about the whole thing.

That cache currently doesn't have a Needs Maintenance attribute. Someone should log an NM on that cache, noting that the log is too full to sign.

Personally I think that for a game that is social in nature and dependent upon a community of people that we shouldn't be so rigid.

Being that our hobby is social and dependent on the community, it seems even more prudent that we need to adhere to at least the basic guidelines listed here on gc.com. There's not going to be much structure for our hobby if we get too many people going off on tangents, doing their own thing because they somehow think it's not hurting anything. It's really a shame that there are so many people who feel they have the right to do anything they want these days. Then when someone calls them on it, they go to whining and/or getting upset.

There can be extenuating circumstances but for the most part, i agree with Go catch. Signing the log, getting your mark on it, etc,, is one of the most basic elements of geocaching.

Sounds like that cache needs some CO attention. Putting your smudge on the log was about all you could do. It would be good to follow up with an online "Needs Maintenance" log as well.

Being that our hobby is social and dependent on the community, it seems even more prudent that we need to adhere to at least the basic guidelines listed here on gc.com. There's not going to be much structure for our hobby if we get too many people going off on tangents, doing their own thing because they somehow think it's not hurting anything. It's really a shame that there are so many people who feel they have the right to do anything they want these days. Then when someone calls them on it, they go to whining and/or getting upset.

There can be extenuating circumstances but for the most part, i agree with Go catch. Signing the log, getting your mark on it, etc,, is one of the most basic elements of geocaching.

(snipped part of the quotes out for brevity)

I always have multiple writing instruments just because that's how I am all the time whether or nor I'm out geocaching. I also at this point have less than 100 finds logged. I have, so far, only not been able to sign a log once. It was so wet that it was literally mush and fell apart when I removed it from the bag inside the container. I did log it as a find anyway and took a picture, then added a 'needs maintenance" log since several others had also complained about it. A few times I've found an empty container. Never quite sure what to do with those, so generally just add a note about the missing log. I notice that some people still log them as finds and some will add a spare log if they have them along. I did add a spare log once and then messaged the CO, but then wasn't sure if I should have. He/she never replied, I don't think they're active anymore.

I have only one cache of my own so far, but am working on a couple more. I have gone to check my cache a couple of times, but didn't really check the physical log against the online log. I looked at it and noted that it looked to have about the right number of signatures and I recognized some. There was one since my last check that I thought was a bit sketchy, so I was planning to check it on my next visit, but the log owner seems to have deleted it themselves. One of the caches I'm working on will require you to sign in a specific way though and I do intend to check those.

A bit off topic but-

Should you log it as a find if the container is there, but not the log? I don't mean like those obviously fake ones where someone says something like, " Found the lid, container and log missing, so added a spare log in a baggie." And then they don't even add a picture of said lid. But when you genuinely find what is the real container, like an ammo can that's open.

A bit off topic but-

Should you log it as a find if the container is there, but not the log? I don't mean like those obviously fake ones where someone says something like, " Found the lid, container and log missing, so added a spare log in a baggie." And then they don't even add a picture of said lid. But when you genuinely find what is the real container, like an ammo can that's open.

If the container fitting the description on the cache page is there, after dropping in whatever I had with me (and signing it...) I would. :)

We keep a little stack of Rite-In-Rain strips just for maintenance, that's simply meant for now, until the COs can do it themselves.

Kinda picky of what caches I'll do that with, though you did mention an ammo can. :laughing:

To the original question(skipping all the stuff between) You can and should check your logs against online logs if you want to. You are in your right to delete them if they are not signed. I would handle it differently and send the cachers a message just to ask what is up and why they didn't sign before just deleting. Sounds like they responded to the deletion so they would probably also respond to the message. If they don't respond then delete. If they come back with a reason and I felt they found it I would leave it. This being said I rarely check. Only if I feel there is a reason not to believe them. The only logs I have deleted are for challenges where I know they don't qualify. Like one you have to have found 100 caches with a word in the title. They have only found 2 caches. I know that has to go. Most I let stand.

I like to look at the logs just for fun to see names I recognize, usually only when I am switching to a new log sheet. Personally the only logs I have deleted (2) were filled with profanity. It is a family friendly game so "This f------ cache really ate my d--- lunch" or another that called it "a B----ing good time". I did warn them to edit their logs or they would be deleted. After a week, no response, so delete. I never have received an email/message about it, don't think they are active anymore.

I definitely agree with deleting challenge logs where challenge has not been met. I have 2 challenges I am enjoying working on & like the challenge & search!

yup that's pretty much what we do

No, I didn't sign the log, but I did take credit for finding it! Yeah, I found it, right there in that trap! Or next to that rattlesnake! I'm not going to come back tomorrow across 5 miles of burning Arizona desert just to sign a silly little piece of paper to prove that I had been there! I guess if that owner feels that I am not justified for finding his/her cache, then fine, delete the log! But that's just being vindictive and anal about it.

If the guidelines and rules of the stupid game mean so little to you, why even log them online? You see, your entire message could be turned around and used against you. I never audit the logs of my caches unless there's a true need. What cheaters don't realize is that if they didn't publicly acknowledge that they cheat, most of us never would have known and would have went about our business. But now if I see Snow Birds I just might have to start taking a closer look. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Wow! I guess I'm playing this game all wrong! Apparently my first mistake was to think this was a game! You people take this way to seriously!

- snip -

That's a shame.

- And with such a tranquil, levelheaded reply too...