Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Alfouine

New category : Space invader Sign

117 posts in this topic

I agree that you should not change your category. It made it through peer review, leave it as is. B)

We all Waymark differently. To some it's a game, to me it's just a hobby of Waymarking places or things of historical interest.

Why complain now?!? As expected, the vast majority are in France but there are examples from four other continents. The category is already growing better than 35 older categories.

I was very disappointed to see this category get past Peer Review for the reason I know that most of the voters were non-waymarkers. I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea. This category should have been part of a much broader category titled 'Video Arcade Game Art.' or something similar. There are numerous other popular 80s video arcade games that probably exist as art around the world, much like Space Invaders. What's next a Pac Man art category? Asteroids category? Centipede category? Donkey Kong category? etc. etc. etc.....

:tired: :tired:

"I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea."

"At first read I thought "Cool." But then I thought about it some more and realized this category is WAY too limited to one specific cult game. Instead, this category should have been part of a much broader genre of arcade games that could have included other 80s cult favorites such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Galaga, Mario Bros., Q*bert, Dig Dug, Frogger, etc. The category could be called 'Classic Arcade Game Art.' The problem with this idea is the fact that the majority of arcade game works of art could already be submitted into other existing categories. Does the Waymarking world want another 'side category' of art? Maybe not. I've also noticed the majority of 'Yay' votes are from Waymarkers with very little experience in the community. Hmm."

I was very disappointed to see this category get past Peer Review for the reason I know that most of the voters were non-waymarkers. I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea. This category should have been part of a much broader category titled 'Video Arcade Game Art.' or something similar. There are numerous other popular 80s video arcade games that probably exist as art around the world, much like Space Invaders. What's next a Pac Man art category? Asteroids category? Centipede category? Donkey Kong category? etc. etc. etc.....

:tired: :tired:

"I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea."

"At first read I thought "Cool." But then I thought about it some more and realized this category is WAY too limited to one specific cult game. Instead, this category should have been part of a much broader genre of arcade games that could have included other 80s cult favorites such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Galaga, Mario Bros., Q*bert, Dig Dug, Frogger, etc. The category could be called 'Classic Arcade Game Art.' The problem with this idea is the fact that the majority of arcade game works of art could already be submitted into other existing categories. Does the Waymarking world want another 'side category' of art? Maybe not. I've also noticed the majority of 'Yay' votes are from Waymarkers with very little experience in the community. Hmm."

As we say in the Navy, all of this is OBE -- Overcome By Events.

The category was put forward within the established process and passed.

The category now exists on the grid in the form that it was put forward and passed.

It is drawing a lot of waymarks for a new category, so the answer to the question of "does WM want another 'side category" of art" appears to be YES.

Anyone who thinks the Space Invaders category is too narrow is free to create a broader one for all OTHER Video Game Arcade characters in the real world.

Now -- join me in looking for Space Invaders!!! :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Why complain now?!? As expected, the vast majority are in France but there are examples from four other continents. The category is already growing better than 35 older categories.

^^^^^^^ This.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Thanks for this funny category.

Stumbled upon this category by accident when planning a trip to Cologne, Germany, where some Space Invaders had been sighted. And now I'm adding more waymarks to the list.

I hoe that the category icon will get a more fitting image in the future.

I hoe that the category icon will get a more fitting image in the future.

I made the request in the suitable discussion in the forum "New Category Icons" with an icon image, but i am not sure that someone read it...

Happy new year, stop to be disgruntled :anibad:

The first funny post of this year, watch this video :

And an another one

found by Chickilim, more funny if you understand french.

It seems Aliens start to invade switzerland Montreux and basel, our local reporter (FI67) could confirm :antenna:

Take care they are watching you :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

The French video, did not understand a word of it, but laughed anyway. The comic was funny to watch and loved the accent.

Here is the inventory of the most controversial category for a long time after one year.

Largest rank : 746 / 1105 categories

152 waymarks in 4 continents, 15 countries and 48 differents towns

Paris is the most reprensentative but as it's the most touristic place in the world it's logical to consider it's the same for the aliens.

Taking into account this inventory, i am still thinking "Space invader" deserved their category.

A great thank to our best supporter, Manville Possum, there is no discussion in the forum without mentionning Space Invader

According to me this waymark Serge gainsbourg deserves to belong to features waymark.

Thoughts ?

Posted (edited)

I also think it's a good one to be the "featured waymark" of this category.

You should rather post this suggestion in this Topic ;) .

Edited by Chickilim

Here is the inventory of the most controversial category for a long time after one year.

Largest rank : 746 / 1105 categories

152 waymarks in 4 continents, 15 countries and 48 differents towns

Paris is the most reprensentative but as it's the most touristic place in the world it's logical to consider it's the same for the aliens.

Taking into account this inventory, i am still thinking "Space invader" deserved their category.

A great thank to our best supporter, Manville Possum, there is no discussion in the forum without mentionning Space Invader

According to me this waymark Serge gainsbourg deserves to belong to features waymark.

Thoughts ?

I agree that "Space invader" deserved their category in your country, and I applaud you on how you rallied your non-waymarker premium member geocacher friends into coming to peer review and voting for your idea. I could have never pulled that off here in the States. :D

As featured Waymark? I'm tired of looking at the same ones, so any change is welcome. :o

Posted (edited)

I agree that "Space invader" deserved their category in your country

152 waymarks in 4 continents, 15 countries and 48 differents towns, not only France but 15 countries

I applaud you on how you rallied your non-waymarker premium member geocacher friends into coming to peer review and voting for your idea.

Why do you always forget that all non-waymarker changed their vote to abstained

But I agree french waymarker community is solidary and really active

Edited by Alfouine

Why do you always forget that all non-waymarker changed their vote to abstained

But I agree french waymarker community is solidary and really active

They should have only voted "yea" and not let the Waymarkers see their votes. :laughing:

I was wrong about your space invader. It is part of your culture and not mine, and I did not understand that at first. :)

I was wrong about your space invader. It is part of your culture and not mine, and I did not understand that at first. :)

Thank you i appreciate :smile:

How beautiful is a nascent friendship! :D

How beautiful is a nascent friendship! :D

Maybe we could have a drink of Moonshine and go Possum hunting some day. :laughing: