New category : Space invader Sign

I know about twenty of them in my closer environment. I never doubted that there are enough of them and I think you probably can find one in most areas of the world.

That is not the problem. And it's not that I don't like them. I do, but I'm not an afficionado.

My concern is, that the idea is too narrow, too limited. It has the potential to follow categories like Yellow Arrow Lookup or Kilroy Was Here and soon fall into oblivion.

Edited by fi67

So the category is in peer review now and it does not look that bad yet.

But there are a lot of yea votes from people who have never voted before and and who have never posted or visited any waymarks. This can become a problem. The last time someone tried to recruit yea votes from his geocaching buddies, it resulted in a real massacre from the regular waymarkers.

I hope you have better luck.

it was I who contacted geocachers friends by offering to vote, to educate the waymarks. Indeed, there is some time, I organized an event and caches on the waymarks, today I communicated to them the probability of a new category still in the idea to introduce them to the waymarks ...

There is only 4 votes with 0 and 0 (and not 6 as it's written) and names are Voltarene, Tmt-family, 100d and Remayaju.

We ask to Dragon ball to correct his mistake and to contact them to change their vote in abstain and as you can see Tmt-family already changed his vote.

And we have 3 votes, which did not vote for the idea but just because of these 4 fake votes, Punga and Paua, jhuoni and Tuena

We can consider now (until fake votes become abstain votes) that the sanction is equitable.

I agree with Punga and Paua the voting system is not fair, geocacher with 0 visit and 0 waymarks should have an inactive waymark status for peer review.

I do not want to excuse Dragon Ball but argue an idea in a language you are not fluent, for which you can not fully explain your mind, you are not sure people understand what you have written and sometimes you do not understand exactly the meaning of the replies, with defenders mostly english native speakers can generate frustration and agressivity (sorry about that).

I assume to be a beginner (i did not know vote could be changed) in Waymarking but beginners could have great idea.

You did nothing wrong and it is not obvious that it can be a problem. In contrary, it is the most natural thing to fight for your cause.

Only, this is a very small community, and there have been attempts to win reviews of really poor categories by massive promotion in national geocaching forums. It is clear, that this was seen as an unfriendly takeover, and now many regulars are a bit sensitive in this respect.

You are now being punished for someone else's failure. That is also not very fair, but understandable. You have to be indulgent.

There is only 4 votes with 0 and 0 (and not 6 as it's written) and names are Voltarene, Tmt-family, 100d and Remayaju.

We ask to Dragon ball to correct his mistake and to contact them to change their vote in abstain and as you can see Tmt-family already changed his vote.

And we have 3 votes, which did not vote for the idea but just because of these 4 fake votes, Punga and Paua, jhuoni and Tuena

We can consider now (until fake votes become abstain votes) that the sanction is equitable.

I agree with Punga and Paua the voting system is not fair, geocacher with 0 visit and 0 waymarks should have an inactive waymark status for peer review.

I do not want to excuse Dragon Ball but argue an idea in a language you are not fluent, for which you can not fully explain your mind, you are not sure people understand what you have written and sometimes you do not understand exactly the meaning of the replies, with defenders mostly english native speakers can generate frustration and agressivity (sorry about that).

I assume to be a beginner (i did not know vote could be changed) in Waymarking but beginners could have great idea.

There are 7 with zero waymarks who voted for the proposal (3 since abstained). Another who has 1 waymark. Two others you could probably add to the list. Your proposal should be withdrawn if the remaining 5 don't abstain immediately as the voting has been stacked.

There are 7 with zero waymarks who voted for the proposal (3 since abstained). Another who has 1 waymark. Two others you could probably add to the list. Your proposal should be withdrawn if the remaining 5 don't abstain immediately as the voting has been stacked.

We have only problems with 4 profiles with 0 waymark and 0 visit, we succeed to contact 3 of them and they changed their vote.

Nobody knows Voltarene, and the worth is a profile with 0 geocache it's a fake profile we sent to him messages but he does not reply.

We developped a lot Waymarking in Loire Valley and especially in Tours area, we have the best numbers of Waymarks in France with Paris and we try to convert a lot of geocachers to waymarks, so if there i as rule to say, if you have less than x visits and less than y waymarks you are not able to vote ok we will ask them to convert their vote but i do not want to destroy all the good job we made for Waymarking.

Dragon Ball is one of the most active waymarkers in our area and he wanted to convert more geocachers to Waymarking using the vote, it was an error but with good intentions.

Can you give me the name of others voters with 0 waymark and 0 visit, and i will ask them "immediately" to change their vote ?

Alleluia, Voltarene changed his vote to abstained.

All voters now have played Waymarking, but may be some of them (1 or 2) are too beginners for you to vote but we can not consider this as a massive local vote to vote rigging the peer review system.

Edited by Alfouine

We have only problems with 4 profiles with 0 waymark and 0 visit, we succeed to contact 3 of them and they changed their vote.

Nobody knows Voltarene, and the worth is a profile with 0 geocache it's a fake profile we sent to him messages but he does not reply.

We developped a lot Waymarking in Loire Valley and especially in Tours area, we have the best numbers of Waymarks in France with Paris and we try to convert a lot of geocachers to waymarks, so if there i as rule to say, if you have less than x visits and less than y waymarks you are not able to vote ok we will ask them to convert their vote but i do not want to destroy all the good job we made for Waymarking.

Dragon Ball is one of the most active waymarkers in our area and he wanted to convert more geocachers to Waymarking using the vote, it was an error but with good intentions.

Can you give me the name of others voters with 0 waymark and 0 visit, and i will ask them "immediately" to change their vote ?

Cristok, Laurette37, Yvabien. Moustic41 has one waymark. Dragon Ball should abstain as well just on principle.

I don't know, how long is it to have a result ?

When the poll is over, Groundspeak reserves the right to make the final decision. This usually takes a couple of days.

There used to be an email with the result and all comments, but this functionality seems to be broken.

It does seem to be taking longer than normal, but this peer review was not average because of all of the invited votes from geocachers. Maybe that is being taken into consideration?

I could bet that someone would give this argument and surprise, the winner is Manville Possum :surprise:

I kept the result pages, Pages

A quick count, Approve : 37, Deny : 10 and Abstained : 9

We can imagine Tuena is right and fresh waymarkers are not able to vote and Dragon ball is abstained.

The result is : Approve : 32, Deny : 10 and Abstained : 10

But we should take in consideration that 3 people did not vote for the idea but just for the 4 waymarkers with profile at 0

One more time, where is the massive vote of "invited" and does it change the issue.

But may be i do not know all subtleties of Peer review...

I would have gave your idea a yes vote, but it was too limited to only one cult game when there are several ... /...

Why did not give you this point during the forum discussion ? It's a good idea, an that avoids to have category too restricted.

I never refused to improve my idea.

But may be it's not too late and category could be expanded, It's a question, i do not know ?

It does seem to be taking longer than normal, but this peer review was not average because of all of the invited votes from geocachers. Maybe that is being taken into consideration?

I could bet that someone would give this argument and surprise, the winner is Manville Possum :surprise:

We can imagine Tuena is right and fresh waymarkers are not able to vote and Dragon ball is abstained.

But we should take in consideration that 3 people did not vote for the idea but just for the 4 waymarkers with profile at 0

One more time, where is the massive vote of "invited" and does it change the issue.

Your missing the point. The vote was rigged. Finis.

Your missing the point. The vote was rigged. Finis.

It can easily take a week until the result is published, even when there are no problems at all.

Inviting outsiders to a vote is an issue inside the community. Waymarking regulars do not promote their category outside the core community as a sign of fairness. It is an ethical topic, not a legal one.

Groundspeak has a different point of view. Group management and peer review are bound to premium membership, nothing else. There will not be any additional restrictions ever. Premium memberships are their main source of income and they will not do anything to lower the value of their product.

There were several core members of the Waymarking community here that gave you valuable input on your idea here in this forum very early.

They attempted to tell you it was too restricted. You stayed with the idea of a treasure hunt for space invaders. Several in peer review suggested including other cult arcade game characters be included. Maybe it will pass, but if not go back and rework it as suggested in peer review and resubmit your idea. Many Waymarkers do not post here in the forums.

Good Luck.

Thank you, i appreciate :smile: and if necessary i will follow your advises.

It can easily take a week until the result is published, even when there are no problems at all.

Inviting outsiders to a vote is an issue inside the community. Waymarking regulars do not promote their category outside the core community as a sign of fairness. It is an ethical topic, not a legal one.

Groundspeak has a different point of view. Group management and peer review are bound to premium membership, nothing else. There will not be any additional restrictions ever. Premium memberships are their main source of income and they will not do anything to lower the value of their product.

Thank you for these explanations :smile:

I just kept checking the newest categories link. :D

I have a lot of things to learn :laughing:

Send an email to confirm a new category to the person who initiate the peer review would be logical !!

Nice beginning 9 waymarks, 1 from Canada, 1 from Brasil, 2 from USA, 1 from Austria, 1 from Switzerland and 3 from France

It looks like something Global...

I just kept checking the newest categories link. :D

I have a lot of things to learn :laughing:

Send an email to confirm a new category to the person who initiate the peer review would be logical !!

Nice beginning 9 waymarks, 1 from Canada, 1 from Brasil, 2 from USA, 1 from Austria, 1 from Switzerland and 3 from France

It looks like something Global...

There was an email with the result and all the comments, but this function has been broken for a while now and I don't expect it to come back soon.

BTW: "1 from Switzerland", you mean this small country in the east with strange people and half of them speak a weird language? This time it was Belgium, not Switzerland, but I have two SI from Switzerland in my pipeline, they will be ready within the next two weeks or so.

BTW: "1 from Switzerland", you mean this small country in the east with strange people and half of them speak a weird language? This time it was Belgium, not Switzerland, but I have two SI from Switzerland in my pipeline, they will be ready within the next two weeks or so.

Oups, Sorry

I would like to tell you that there is a Secret Society of Waymarkers and we have meetings and wear rings and coded things... :laughing:

But truthfully it's just learning to navigate a broken system.

It ain't broke, just badly bent (which could go a long way in explaining some of the characters it attracts). :lol:

"I would like to tell you that there is a Secret Society of Waymarkers"

There you go - lettin' the cat outta the bag...

Edited by BK-Hunters

I was very disappointed to see this category get past Peer Review for the reason I know that most of the voters were non-waymarkers. I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea. This category should have been part of a much broader category titled 'Video Arcade Game Art.' or something similar. There are numerous other popular 80s video arcade games that probably exist as art around the world, much like Space Invaders. What's next a Pac Man art category? Asteroids category? Centipede category? Donkey Kong category? etc. etc. etc.....

:tired: :tired:

I was very disappointed to see this category get past Peer Review for the reason I know that most of the voters were non-waymarkers.

It's completely wrong we asked voters with no waymark and no visit (4) to change their vote in abstained and they all did it.

You can not complain about Waymarking has few players and does not interest Groundspeak and not respect voters with few visits or waymarks.

And something funny, in the last peer review there are a lot of voters with no waymarks, much more than 4 and no one sayd anything !!! Strange !!!

This category should have been part of a much broader category titled 'Video Arcade Game Art.' or something similar. There are numerous other popular 80s video arcade games that probably exist as art around the world, much like Space Invaders. What's next a Pac Man art category? Asteroids category? Centipede category? Donkey Kong category? etc. etc. etc.....

I completely agree with this, but you explained this idea in your vote and not in the forum, it's ashamed but may be we can change this.

As i am a beginner, i thought at the end of peer review, i would receive an email to confirm the result and i would activate the category. I decided to not activate the category to take in account good ideas expressed during the vote. But it did not work like this....

Modify the description of the category seems easy and i would appreciate that english speaking native help me.

How could i change the name of the category ? I prefer "Game cult art" but "Arcade game art" is nice too but more restrictive.

Alfouine -- Personally, I think your category is just fine as it is. It passed peer review, so run with it AS IS. Stop trying to please grumpy waymarkers who are still grousing about authorized voters, and who will never be happy, no matter what you do to try and appease them.

YOU wanted to waymark Space Invaders. That was your vision. YOU created the category, YOU found officers to support it, YOU wrote the category description and YOU got it through Peer Review. Now enjoy the category that matched your original vision and start having fun with it!!

Besides: As a waymarker I would take issue with a wholesale change to the category I voted on AFTER the vote was complete. Tweaks are fine and are sometimes necessary, but changing from a sharply focused category to a wide open and very broad category TO ME is too much.

IF you want to create another category (and I don't know why you would, what with all the grief you took and are STILL taking on this one), I'd suggest Video Arcade Games Characters In the Real World, and state in the description that this category will accept ALL Video game characters EXCEPT Space Invaders.

Or, in the alternative, let someone ELSE create that category, and you run your category that you conceived of and you love.

This is a GAME. You do your game.

Right now, I am trying to track down a Space Invader mosaic in Dallas. There were at least 2, but I know the one by Union Station was destroyed by street repairs. The other is in a parking garage in downtown Dallas -- only about 200 of those around town LOL

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I was very disappointed to see this category get past Peer Review for the reason I know that most of the voters were non-waymarkers. I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea. This category should have been part of a much broader category titled 'Video Arcade Game Art.' or something similar. There are numerous other popular 80s video arcade games that probably exist as art around the world, much like Space Invaders. What's next a Pac Man art category? Asteroids category? Centipede category? Donkey Kong category? etc. etc. etc.....

"I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea."

"At first read I thought "Cool." But then I thought about it some more and realized this category is WAY too limited to one specific cult game. Instead, this category should have been part of a much broader genre of arcade games that could have included other 80s cult favorites such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Galaga, Mario Bros., Q*bert, Dig Dug, Frogger, etc. The category could be called 'Classic Arcade Game Art.' The problem with this idea is the fact that the majority of arcade game works of art could already be submitted into other existing categories. Does the Waymarking world want another 'side category' of art? Maybe not. I've also noticed the majority of 'Yay' votes are from Waymarkers with very little experience in the community. Hmm."

"I wish I could have remembered to copy/paste my 'No' vote here in the forum because I thought I summed up what was wrong about this category idea."

"At first read I thought "Cool." But then I thought about it some more and realized this category is WAY too limited to one specific cult game. Instead, this category should have been part of a much broader genre of arcade games that could have included other 80s cult favorites such as Pac Man, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Galaga, Mario Bros., Q*bert, Dig Dug, Frogger, etc. The category could be called 'Classic Arcade Game Art.' The problem with this idea is the fact that the majority of arcade game works of art could already be submitted into other existing categories. Does the Waymarking world want another 'side category' of art? Maybe not. I've also noticed the majority of 'Yay' votes are from Waymarkers with very little experience in the community. Hmm."

As we say in the Navy, all of this is OBE -- Overcome By Events.

The category was put forward within the established process and passed.

The category now exists on the grid in the form that it was put forward and passed.

It is drawing a lot of waymarks for a new category, so the answer to the question of "does WM want another 'side category" of art" appears to be YES.

Anyone who thinks the Space Invaders category is too narrow is free to create a broader one for all OTHER Video Game Arcade characters in the real world.

Now -- join me in looking for Space Invaders!!! :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Thanks for this funny category.

Stumbled upon this category by accident when planning a trip to Cologne, Germany, where some Space Invaders had been sighted. And now I'm adding more waymarks to the list.

I hoe that the category icon will get a more fitting image in the future.

Happy new year, stop to be disgruntled :anibad:

The first funny post of this year, watch this video :

And an another one

found by Chickilim, more funny if you understand french.

It seems Aliens start to invade switzerland Montreux and basel, our local reporter (FI67) could confirm :antenna:

Take care they are watching you :ph34r:

Here is the inventory of the most controversial category for a long time after one year.

Largest rank : 746 / 1105 categories

152 waymarks in 4 continents, 15 countries and 48 differents towns

Paris is the most reprensentative but as it's the most touristic place in the world it's logical to consider it's the same for the aliens.

Taking into account this inventory, i am still thinking "Space invader" deserved their category.

A great thank to our best supporter, Manville Possum, there is no discussion in the forum without mentionning Space Invader

According to me this waymark Serge gainsbourg deserves to belong to features waymark.

Thoughts ?

I agree that "Space invader" deserved their category in your country

152 waymarks in 4 continents, 15 countries and 48 differents towns, not only France but 15 countries

I applaud you on how you rallied your non-waymarker premium member geocacher friends into coming to peer review and voting for your idea.

Why do you always forget that all non-waymarker changed their vote to abstained

But I agree french waymarker community is solidary and really active

Edited by Alfouine